Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kitty Kaat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,869 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Mike Barardino did something on Jim Kaat in today's PP. while I know things have changed so much over the years and analytics has its place, I still think there is room for guys like him in baseball. I always considered him by far the best color man, analysist, in the game. There may have been some more "entertaining", but I doubt more knowledgeable. I assume from the column these thoughts are tweets he has posted. Everyone will have opinions on these. It might be fun to hear them. I thought the last two had merit for discussion. Pitch velocity and exit velocity have merit when they are achieved with inherent abilities. But many a pitcher has been ruined by the God of velocity, will hitters now fall in the same trap?

Kaats thoughts:

I’ll still go with brain, eyes, hands over the machine. Who is entering the data? Is it accurate? Nothing like hands-on experience. No right or wrong. Just my preference.”

“Before analytics players used their brain and their eyes and their hands. Better than any computer. I had a front-row seat watching and listening to Rod (Carew) and Tony Oliva and Harmon Killebrew execute their craft.”

“That stat (exit velocity) just tempts those without (Aaron) Judge’s or (Giancarlo) Stanton’s power to swing harder, strike out more, strain something. Only ‘candy’ for the fans.”

“Young pitchers, a few thoughts. ‘It will rust out before it will wear out.’ LIGHT pitching daily is good. If you are capable of reaching 92 (mph), try getting hitters out pitching at 88. It’s called pitching, not throwing. #Smartpitching.”
  • Carole Keller, glunn, wagwan and 1 other like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#2 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for posting that. I've always been a Jim Kaat fan. Glad that he's still around and able to contribute to the organization!

• glunn likes this