Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Other SP trade candidates: Aaron Nola, any others that you like?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

So, pretty much they could kinda pay cash is if they took a big chunk of dead salary payroll from the other team and release any that they didn't want.I get it.

• Oxtung likes this

#22 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Maybe the Phillies could sign Wade Miley and then trade him and some prospects to us for Jose Berrios ... Just because their record was bad doesn't mean they are in flush and rebuild mode ... Their other off-season moves point in a different direction

#23 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

So you don't think they'd be interested because they didn't draft him in 2014?

Of course the Twins would be interested. But there is no way the Phillies would trade him. If you want a guy like Nola with a contract like Nola you have to draft Nola.
  • gil4 likes this

#24 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Maybe the Phillies could sign Wade Miley and then trade him and some prospects to us for Jose Berrios ... Just because their record was bad doesn't mean they are in flush and rebuild mode ... Their other off-season moves point in a different direction

Everything is for sale, even Berrios. I think I'm misreading the Phillies position.

#25 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

So.... back to the original question.....

How about Marcus Stroman

• Twins33, markos, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

#26 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

How about Marcus Stroman

I saw him too. There are really quite a few, but it seems that there's really no one to trade for. Most marginal teams would be losing their 1 or 2 pitcher, or they have excellent farm systems, or they have more money to spend. Just looking at Tampa Bay, I don't really see much possibility there because they have a strong system, and it's pretty likely want excellent pitching prospects most - the thing we probably aren't willing to give much of. I don't see that much need for the rest of what we've got to trade other than their seeming interest in Keppler.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Isn't every team? Their payroll history doesn't seem to show that trend. What are you seeing?

Every website I read. They are planning to be competitive in the next year or two. They are about the same spot in the rebuild as the Twins.
  • NewClearHarley likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Every website I read. They are planning to be competitive in the next year or two. They are about the same spot in the rebuild as the Twins.

Yes, I see that now. They've got a lot of salary dropping off in the next couple of years.

#29 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

How about Marcus Stroman

Stroman's shiny ERA is driven mostly by his 60% GB. After years of Blackburn, Silva, etc... I am hesitant to buy into that. On the other hand he does strike out many more batters than either of those former Twins. SIERA likes but doesn't love him.

In the end I would be ok with him but I think he's a step below Archer and deGrom.

• howieramone2 likes this

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Toronto is trying to compete too. If they fail, maybe Stroman could be a deadline target, but if he is healthy and effective, he won't be cheap or easy to acquire.
  • beckmt, Oxtung and markos like this

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Moderator's note: There seems to be more bickering going on here than is healthy; some posts have been removed from view as a consequence. A little less needling, and a little less response to needling, would be a good idea. It's not automatically wrong to respond with humor to a thought that you disagree with, but it carries risk and it's best to be ready to apologize and dial it back if it gets misunderstood. Please, all, keep the discussion mutually respectful, regardless of how strongly you disagree with someone's point.

• glunn, nicksaviking, Oxtung and 1 other like this

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#32 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

https://www.thegoodp...ola-makes-sense

"Phillies trade talk: Is there any scenario in which trading Aaron Nola makes sense?"

Edited by Respy, 13 February 2018 - 01:18 PM.

• glunn likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Apparently the GM was just was quoted as saying it is hard to give up prospects in trades, so apparently we aren't doing that either....

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,228 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

I'd love to have Archer, but just glancing down SP numbers, hows about Aaron Nola? The Phillies stink, so I'd imagine that they have some needs. On second thought, with their record, I KNOW they have lots of needs.

No you don't :)

The Phillies did something rare for a big market team: a full rebuild.They are actually now a little bit ahead of where the Twins were last season at this point:They have a good core of young soon to be stars (Crawford, Alther, Hoskins, Herrera, Hernandez).They had a decent pen last season, that comes back intact, and with the addition of Tommy Hunter. Their rotation as stands are a bunch of 24-26 year olds with decent upside, led by Nola.They spend $ to add Carlos Santana.They are a big market team, led by the guy who brought the only 2 championships in sports that matter to Minnesota, and are a good 50-75 million under what they can spend coming into 2018 with a whole bunch of free agents out and about in soon to be bargain prices.

That can be a really scary team in 2018, if they decide to do so...

• glunn and Respy like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#35 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

No you don't :)

The Phillies did something rare for a big market team: a full rebuild.They are actually now a little bit ahead of where the Twins were last season at this point:They have a good core of young soon to be stars (Crawford, Alther, Hoskins, Herrera, Hernandez).They had a decent pen last season, that comes back intact, and with the addition of Tommy Hunter. Their rotation as stands are a bunch of 24-26 year olds with decent upside, led by Nola.They spend $ to add Carlos Santana.They are a big market team, led by the guy who brought the only 2 championships in sports that matter to Minnesota, and are a good 50-75 million under what they can spend coming into 2018 with a whole bunch of free agents out and about in soon to be bargain prices.

That can be a really scary team in 2018, if they decide to do so...

Yes, I said that I had misread the Phillies position, and also mentioned that that they were dropping a bunch of salary. I understand that now, thanks!

• glunn likes this

#36 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

At this point, it might be more worthwhile to try to guess who is going to be selling at the trade deadline. Stroman has already been mentioned. Do the Mariners make Paxton available? What about the Orioles with Gausman or Bundy? I have a hard time seeing the Giants putting Bumgarner on the block, but maybe Samardzija? Does the new FO in Arizona try to get out from under the Greinke contract if they falter this year? At what point to the Mets need to start rebuilding? Does that make deGrom available?

• glunn, Oxtung and bcs4 like this

#37 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Apparently the GM was just was quoted as saying it is hard to give up prospects in trades, so apparently we aren't doing that either....

so when our window of contention is supposedly open, we wont sign top notch FA pitching nor trade for one using a supposedly strong farm system. Leaves us one option: our organizational strength: DEVELOPING top notch pitching.

Edited by jimmer, 13 February 2018 - 02:18 PM.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and beckmt like this

#38 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

At this point, it might be more worthwhile to try to guess who is going to be selling at the trade deadline. Stroman has already been mentioned. Do the Mariners make Paxton available? What about the Orioles with Gausman or Bundy? I have a hard time seeing the Giants putting Bumgarner on the block, but maybe Samardzija? Does the new FO in Arizona try to get out from under the Greinke contract if they falter this year? At what point to the Mets need to start rebuilding? Does that make deGrom available?

i wouldnt want to see the prices for midseason trades while contending teams shore up their rotations for playoff push. IMO, its the worse time to buy pitching.
  • Twins33 likes this

#39 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Stroman's shiny ERA is driven mostly by his 60% GB. After years of Blackburn, Silva, etc... I am hesitant to buy into that. On the other hand he does strike out many more batters than either of those former Twins. SIERA likes but doesn't love him.

In the end I would be ok with him but I think he's a step below Archer and deGrom.

It's a little tiny step, in terms of projected effectiveness, although he only comes with, I believe, two years of team control compared to Archer's 4 and deGrom's 3

Combined 2016-17 xFIP:

7 Jacob deGrom 3.33
8 Chris Archer 3.38
9 Dallas Keuchel 3.43
10 Robbie Ray 3.47
11 Marcus Stroman 3.50

#40 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Stroman has had the same issue that Archer has had, which is pitching in the AL East and having it balloon your numbers.

• Oxtung likes this