Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Top Prospects: #7 Brent Rooker

brent rooker rafael palmiero
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

That #1 in the title of this thread looks a little crooked, it could almost be viewed as a #7. Want me to edit that for you Seth?

Rooooookerrrrrr!!!!!! 

• Seth Stohs, Steve Lein, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#22 jrod23

jrod23

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

I disagree with one comment, Seth.And that's about his moving up the ladder.You see I want to see him take another step in April and then jump off that bloody ladder.

Who was that kid that the Cubs drafted real high a few years ago and jumped right to the majors a few weeks into his second season?Rooker had to have as good of numbers as he did in college.Why can't it happen for the Twins?

What surprised me when reading your post was that he hit over .280 average with a lot of walks.That's a lot more than just home runs.Get him up here in May as the full time DH along with backing up Mauer on his days off.

Talking about Kris Bryant?You could toss him into that list of quick movers along with Bregman, Benintendi, etc.Those guys are also above average defenders though.However, solid offense can quickly drown out sub-par defense.Worked for Delmon Young.Right?.....(crickets)

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Talking about Kris Bryant?You could toss him into that list of quick movers along with Bregman, Benintendi, etc.Those guys are also above average defenders though.However, solid offense can quickly drown out sub-par defense.Worked for Delmon Young.Right?.....(crickets)

I thought he was talking about Kyle Schwarber who can't play any position. Rooker's going to play RF or 1B, it's not like either are demanding positions. His ascension would/should have no relation to his defense.

• jrod23 likes this

#24 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Anybody got some minor league footage of Rooker? It'd be fun to see.

Ask and ye shall receive, some video I took of Rooker in the FSL, warning I didn't edit the at bats, I had a request to show his "routine" between swings and at bats

• Parker Hageman, jimbo92107, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Ask and ye shall receive, some video I took of Rooker in the FSL, warning I didn't edit the at bats, I had a request to show his "routine" between swings and at bats

Hey Bob, Thanks for all you do.First hand info from Ft. Myers is appreciated.

• nicksaviking likes this

#26 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Milles gratis, Mr. Bob. Good form on the swing, but he looks pretty tight. When Rooker loosens up and gets some rhythm, he could uncork some long shots. 

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#27 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

Hey Bob, Thanks for all you do.First hand info from Ft. Myers is appreciated.

No problem but you'll be seeing alot less videos as I moved to Portland, Oregon back in November.I'll be back in Ft. Myers in late March and early April, see those of you out there then.

#28 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

I disagree with one comment, Seth.And that's about his moving up the ladder.You see I want to see him take another step in April and then jump off that bloody ladder.

Who was that kid that the Cubs drafted real high a few years ago and jumped right to the majors a few weeks into his second season?Rooker had to have as good of numbers as he did in college.Why can't it happen for the Twins?

If you're alluding to #2 overall pick, ROY, MVP Bryant, he was drafted in '13, then spent all of '14 in the minors, and was finally called up after about 10 games in '15 @ well over .300/.400/.600 until that call-up.

I might be high, but I would think Rooker needs more than 1/3 of the minor league PAs that Bryant got before he gets his ROY followed by his MVP in year 2.

Not to mention, that ROY will be harder to achieve than Bryant's, since some on this board appear to have Gonsalves and Romero penciled in for 150+ innings of sub-4.00 FIP ball.

#29 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Not to mention, that ROY will be harder to achieve than Bryant's, since some on this board appear to have Gonsalves and Romero penciled in for 150+ innings of sub-4.00 FIP ball.[/quote] Ah the sweet optimism of spring! The Twins have 3 ROY candidates!
  • Mike Sixel and TL like this

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

I don’t mean to throw cold water on the hype but Walker and Palka had similar (slightly better?) strikeout rates at A+. If he can bring that down to ~25% as he advances to double and triple A I’ll be more excited. Otherwise, we can probably anticipate the MLB strikeout rate being in the high 30s, which will be problematic.

It is not his strikeout rate that is impressing us.That can be corrected if he is willing (as I hope Sano will be too).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brent rooker, rafael palmiero