Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Spring Training Storylines: Pitchers And Catchers

jose berrios ervin santana kyle gibson fernando rodney addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, it's a bad idea to even look at the April schedule and try to sort a rotation when your favorite team plays outdoors in Minneapolis.

It's why I don't even think of going to Twins home games till June :-)

#62 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

It's why I don't even think of going to Twins home games till June :-)

I'll go but only to day games and will only sit in specific parts of the stadium where I'm either close to a heat source or in the sun.

#63 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

Assuming 4 starters in regular rotation, we'd need a 5th starter on April 11, 24, 29, and May 4.Basically "skipped" twice in that span, the first week and the third week (around the Puerto Rico trip).

Depending on how they did it, they could skip them on their next off day May 9th too, but you would need them by May 14th again.

The DL is only 10 days now, so that helps, but I don't see them pushing Berrios, Mejia, etc. Early last season they were skipping the 5th guy a bit (Mejia?) but the other 4 spots were veterans (Ervin, Santiago, Hughes, and Gibson).

Yeah, I totally agree on not pushing them early which is another reason that I think they will have the additional BP spot to get an extra inning here and there and maybe limiting the starters pitch count to even less than 100.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#64 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

Right, Berrios struggled mightily in the majors even with sparkly AAA stats. So Romero and Gonsalves are different and do well in the majors with no AAA experience to think of?

I don't think some realize how huge of an ask it is to jump from AA to MLB as a pitcher.

Brad Radke did it. Granted, on a team that was not planning to contend. But he remains the most successful starting pitcher to come up through the system in the last 30 years. Maybe 40. By far.

#65 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Right, Berrios struggled mightily in the majors even with sparkly AAA stats. So Romero and Gonsalves are different and do well in the majors with no AAA experience to think of?

I don't think some realize how huge of an ask it is to jump from AA to MLB as a pitcher.

I agree its a big jump.  It would be great to see some long-term stats on how pitchers do jumping from AA to Majors.  I'm sure the analytic guys in MLB have some of that data.  

I personally think you are going to see players spending less time in the minors as these "new baseball" people mix up the status quo thats been going on for the last 50+ years.  Not saying its right or wrong but this new generation seems more willing to break with tradition occasionally.

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#66 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

I know that we have all obsessed over the pitchers, but one more thing jumps out - Garver does not need another year of full time minor league service.This is not a young man and he has done what he needs to do in the minors.He will not start here, at least let him gain service time in the majors. 

#67 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

I know that we have all obsessed over the pitchers, but one more thing jumps out - Garver does not need another year of full time minor league service.This is not a young man and he has done what he needs to do in the minors.He will not start here, at least let him gain service time in the majors. 

I agree. He's already 27; if the Twins believe he isn't ready to be a backup catcher when he's entering his prime then see what you can get for him on the trade market. We've gotten surprisingly good returns on backup catchers.

• mikelink45 likes this

#68 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Read a post on the Twins site about Hughes.Seems that he is feeling normal and not expecting any problems this spring.Expect the Twins know more about how he is doing than we do.Maybe they are hearing good things and counting on him a lot more than all of us.

Edited by rdehring, 15 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#69 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Read a post on the Twins site about Hughes. Seems that he is feeling normal and not expecting any problems this spring. Expect the Twins know more about how he is doing than we do. Maybe they are hearing good things and counting on him a lot more than all of us.

One might expect that. Not sure I am willing to accept what they say at face value.

#70 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,933 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Read a post on the Twins site about Hughes.Seems that he is feeling normal and not expecting any problems this spring.Expect the Twins know more about how he is doing than we do.Maybe they are hearing good things and counting on him a lot more than all of us.

But is he in the best shape of his life?
  • ashburyjohn, Oxtung, Sconnie and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#71 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

By the way, one down in the pitching free agent pool. Jamie Garcia has signed with Toronto. 

#72 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

By the way, one down in the pitching free agent pool. Jamie Garcia has signed with Toronto. 

And Cashner.Someone picked Cashner in the thread where people are guessing who and when.

#73 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,626 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

But is he in the best shape of his life?

It's Spring Training. That* is a given, for every veteran trying to re-establish himself.

* the choice of phrase

• USAFChief and Vanimal46 like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#74 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,538 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Over/under 2.5 "feeling great!" stories about Hughes from Twins beat writers in March?

#75 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Despite all the worry over the rotation, I'd still be skeptical of our bullpen. Addison Reed was the only signing I liked, and besides him I've been pretty disappointed with the signings of Duke and Rodney.

I'm worried Duke will be just as effective or worse of a lefty than Buddy Boshers was, in that case why not sing young lefties (with upside) Robbie Ross and Kevin Seigrist to minor league deals (unlike Sanchez and Duke).

And for more assurance it wouldn't hurt to sign Sueng-Hwang Oh to a 1 year deal, in case Rodney disappoints.

#76 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,933 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Over/under 2.5 "feeling great!" stories about Hughes from Twins beat writers in March?

yes.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#77 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

The most important thing for any bullpen is to get 6 inning starts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, ervin santana, kyle gibson, fernando rodney, addison reed