Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Spring Training Storylines: Pitchers And Catchers

jose berrios ervin santana kyle gibson fernando rodney addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

I've seen people say he is not worth our starting right fielder plus 3 of our top prospects but have not seen anyone say below average. I might have missed it.

on another thread. The one about twins making an offer for archer. Poster said Archer was a below average pitcher the last two years.

Edited by jimmer, 13 February 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#42 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Saw a photo of him throwing a bullpen yesterday. I'm not counting on him for anything, though.

I'm going to Tweet some pics of me throwing the ball with my kid in the yard today.  I might qualify for a starting spot in the rotation this year...

• Mike Sixel likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#43 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

I'm going to Tweet some pics of me throwing the ball with my kid in the yard today.  I might qualify for a starting spot in the rotation this year...

Exactly ;)

• twinssporto likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#44 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

The Twins have a bunch of pitchers to make a quick decision about before their value plummets. Are Romero and Jorge actually in the plans, or can still cater trade possibilities. Do you cut ties with Phil Hughes? Is May a starter or bullpen guy (could May close). Duke, Reed and Rodney have pushed back the youngsters, who have done a pretty good job of pushing themselves back, too...how does Chargois, Reed, Melotakis, Busenitz fit into the future bullpen plans or will they be pushed aside by others.

Is Garver best served riding the bench, or actually catching games pitched by Jorge, Romero and Gonsalves at AAA for a good part of the season. Actually working behind-the-plate and keeping those skills developed.

But if the Twins add a Bobby Wilson, they need 40-man spaces. Too many "prospects" on the 40-man roster! TraideBait if you can get proven talent...better than letting them walk via the waiver wire.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#45 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

We have a brilliant new front office. Oh, by the way, our #2 starter is Kyle Gibson. Both of these statements cannot be true simultaneously.

#46 Dan In Real Life

Dan In Real Life

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Am I alone in being far more optimistic about the bullpen going into the season? I get that last year is not a high bar to clear, but they've got the makings of a more-than-decent bullpen. I actually really like the idea of Hughes in the bullpen, if he's around at all.

#47 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

I think the TD writers like them in context as prospects, but I'm not sure they've advocated for their immediate promotion to the majors. Perhaps they argued for a faster promotion to AAA last year, particularly for Gonsalves, but in absence of that I don't think they'd recommend essentially skipping AAA altogether based on spring training performance.

No they have not advocated that, I am suggesting the Twins be open to that.But the TD reports give me confidence that they might be ready.

#48 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:50 AM

I think the TD writers like them in context as prospects, but I'm not sure they've advocated for their immediate promotion to the majors. Perhaps they argued for a faster promotion to AAA last year, particularly for Gonsalves, but in absence of that I don't think they'd recommend essentially skipping AAA altogether based on spring training performance.

im having a hard time finding the quote, but my recollection is Falvey has said things to a similar effect. I recall him saying that prospects would get goals and feed back throughout and the desired result would be maybe a little less time in rookie ball and low, and more time in double and triple A, where it made sense.

Seems like Lewis and Rooker are going through the lower levels a bit faster than how I remember the TR era of management would have them progress.

#49 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Brothers and Sisters: We entered the off season needing a # 1 SP and a #4 SP in order to contend with the Cleveland Mudrats. The sun is shinning today in Ft. Myers! The pitchers and catchers have reported. We have gotten neither a #1 nor a #4 SP. Let's all rise, grab out song books and sing the first verse of, "It's Now or Never"...page 18 in our books. Let's all sing loudly, so the guys upstairs in the front office can hear us. A one and a two...

• Twins33 and Vanimal46 like this

#50 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:42 AM

I don't see how Hughes could even be considered for the starting rotation to start the season. Hey, I'd love to be proved wrong and see him revert to the form he showed 3 or 4 years back, but I think that's highly unlikely at this point, especially since he's coming back from an injury. I'm guessing someone with a tad of MLB experience, such as Slegers, would have more of a chance to earn a spot.

#51 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

I don't see how Hughes could even be considered for the starting rotation to start the season. Hey, I'd love to be proved wrong and see him revert to the form he showed 3 or 4 years back, but I think that's highly unlikely at this point, especially since he's coming back from an injury. I'm guessing someone with a tad of MLB experience, such as Slegers, would have more of a chance to earn a spot.

Or Felix Jorge...

#52 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

In general I think making roster decisions based off a few weeks of spring training results is a terrible idea. However, in the case of a player returning from injury, and especially a multi year injury, it makes sense to use this time to discern his health. I don't even care about his stats; what is his velocity, how about his arm slot/angle, how much break are his balls getting? To me that is what Spring Training can actually tell us.

All of that is to say we know roughly what we should get from Slegers/Jorge and it's a 4.5-5 ERA. If Hughes can recover he should be better than that. Let's wait and see before we close the door on him yet.

• howieramone2 likes this

#53 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,201 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Brothers and Sisters: We entered the off season needing a # 1 SP and a #4 SP in order to contend with the Cleveland Mudrats. The sun is shinning today in Ft. Myers! The pitchers and catchers have reported. We have gotten neither a #1 nor a #4 SP. Let's all rise, grab out song books and sing the first verse of, "It's Now or Never"...page 18 in our books. Let's all sing loudly, so the guys upstairs in the front office can hear us. A one and a two...

We're also starting a protest in a furniture store later today! It's called "Bummin' it for Bumgarner"

We will refuse to get off of the couches in the showroom until the Twins trade for him!

Hmm, this may take a few days.... So we're switching up the location to IKEA! We'll stay nourished on sweedish meatballs until something happens!
  • spycake and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#54 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Not sure if that is really true. Their only April off days are the first week and around the Puerto Rico trip. They don't have one in May until May 9th either. That's 9 straight days, then 19 straight days.

And even if you skip the 5th starter once or twice, you're not doing it to get more starts for a vet like Ervin Santana like we did last year. You are increasing the workload on guys like Berrios, Mejia, Duffey, etc.

I'd count on needing 5 starters the whole time.

I think starters like to be in the rhythm of starting every 5 days early on.As the season grinds on, that extra day can give them a needed break or even skip a turn in the rotation if necessary.I'll stick with the prediction that we break with 4 starters and an extra body in the bullpen as we don't tend to stretch out starters early.I think they only need a 5th starter on the 11th and the 24th.They can do that by sending down the extra bullpen body or by putting someone on the 15 day DL and bringing up a starter for that period starting on the 11th.Of course all this assumes (dangerously) that Erv will be ready in early May.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#55 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Gonsalves and Romero have to be told that it is up to them whether they are Twins or minor leaguers.Its time to step up.  

It's a bit early for that, is it not?I mean Romero has never pitched in AAA and Gonsalves has what 22 innings in AAA ball.I think at the very least Gonsalves pitches at least half the season in Rochester and the same for Romero assuming he starts in AAA. 

Look for that #4 spot I think it comes down to Hughes, Slegers and Enns to start the season.  And to be honest I got a pretty good vibe from Slegers and Enns last season.Slegers with not overpower you but the kid can pitch and he has a healthy arm compared to Hughes who has broken down several years in a row. 

#56 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

I think starters like to be in the rhythm of starting every 5 days early on.As the season grinds on, that extra day can give them a needed break or even skip a turn in the rotation if necessary.I'll stick with the prediction that we break with 4 starters and an extra body in the bullpen as we don't tend to stretch out starters early.I think they only need a 5th starter on the 11th and the 24th.They can do that by sending down the extra bullpen body or by putting someone on the 15 day DL and bringing up a starter for that period starting on the 11th.Of course all this assumes (dangerously) that Erv will be ready in early May.

With 6 days between starts for the first go-round, and 5 days for the second, I could see going with a four-man rotation all the way twice through, meaning no need for a fifth starter until Lucky Friday April 13. Do they all need 6 days that second time? Did I count wrong?

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#57 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

With 6 days between starts for the first go-round, and 5 days for the second, I could see going with a four-man rotation all the way twice through, meaning no need for a fifth starter until Lucky Friday April 13. Do they all need 6 days that second time? Did I count wrong?

I was thinking that the #2 starter would get shortened rest that 2nd time thru, but I may have counted wrong.He'd pitch on the 7th, have the 8th, 9th, 10th to recover while the 3, 4, and 1 pitch, so I think we would need that 5th starter on the 11th.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Assuming 4 starters in regular rotation, we'd need a 5th starter on April 11, 24, 29, and May 4.Basically "skipped" twice in that span, the first week and the third week (around the Puerto Rico trip).

Depending on how they did it, they could skip them on their next off day May 9th too, but you would need them by May 14th again.

The DL is only 10 days now, so that helps, but I don't see them pushing Berrios, Mejia, etc. Early last season they were skipping the 5th guy a bit (Mejia?) but the other 4 spots were veterans (Ervin, Santiago, Hughes, and Gibson).

#59 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

I was thinking that the #2 starter would get shortened rest that 2nd time thru, but I may have counted wrong.He'd pitch on the 7th, have the 8th, 9th, 10th to recover while the 3, 4, and 1 pitch, so I think we would need that 5th starter on the 11th.

Weather could wind up playing a factor anyway, so I've already overthunk this one.

• gocgo likes this

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

Weather could wind up playing a factor anyway, so I've already overthunk this one.

Yeah, it's a bad idea to even look at the April schedule and try to sort a rotation when your favorite team plays outdoors in Minneapolis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, ervin santana, kyle gibson, fernando rodney, addison reed