Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Response from the Twins to email requesting season ticket refunds

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Hey John,

I mentioned to asbury as well but more than happy to fwd you the thread with the contact info/proof.

Of course there prob would be a way to ‘spoof’ all of that, but frankly I wouldn’t know how nor would have the time.

I do appreciate the response from the Twins, but was surprised re: the Mauer comment. I tend to think people are reading a little too much into all of it, prob because it’s pretty rare to get anything from a ‘blunt’ take from someone in the Twins org (that’s not a pot shot, just an observation)

The nice thing is everyone is entitled to their opinions.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

I don't know if the moderators have the time to re-open this topic or not, as I expect tempers might run high on it and require moderation. If they do, I'd suggest this:

1) You can choose to believe it or not. If you don't, I'd suggest your time is best spent with other threads.

2) If you do believe it, understand that this is one person in the organization expressing their opinion, and it isn't necessarily a decision-maker. In fact, it sounds like it is not. He certainly does not speak for the organization. 

3) We'll be watching closely for uncivil discourse and ready to deal infractions/bans, so keep it VERY civil.

As to your second point, John, I'dsimply say that whether you believe it to be fake or real, we have Dave W's characterization that the person is spouting some sort of company line and is suggesting the organization is okay with the public hearing "from them" that they regard Mauer's contract as a regrettable albatross. I'd guess most of us, like you, have the sense to know this isn't the truth. Which means that suggesting it is either nonsensical or untruthful.

#23 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

As to your second point, John, I'd simply say that whether you believe it to be fake or real, we have Dave W's characterization that the person is spouting some sort of company line and is suggesting the organization is okay with the public hearing "from them" that they regard Mauer's contract as a regrettable albatross. I'd guess most of us, like you, have the sense to know this isn't the truth. Which means that suggesting it is either nonsensical or untruthful.

I didn’t say with certainty any of that, it could be one person or it could be more than one person. Just found the response to be pretty interesting, even if I disagree with the notion that Mauers contract hurt them and that because of that the reasons for not going Long on another player is ‘just’

Like I said everyone’s I sent entitled to their opinions and it’s not like im going to stop rooting for the Twins bc of this off season, but I will be thinking twice about commiting to so many games this season as a fan who lives 1,000+ miles away. (Maybe 2 trips to Minnesota this summer instead of 4)

Edited by DaveW, 12 February 2018 - 01:39 PM.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#24 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

One of the items that has me believing this is that Jake Mauer left the organization.Maybe there is something to this that Joe has heard internally that he will not be back next year.

Just my opinion. 

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

You would NEVER mention the magic name of Mauer, especially in anything that COULD go public. At the time, Joe WAS the franchise player. He was also a catcher. Overall, it wasn't a bad contract. If the Twins are hamstrung in anyway, it is finding the playing time and a place in the batting order for someone who is still a good, solid player, but not in the role or at the position that you currently desire. But, hey, stuff like this might make Joe want to go elsewhere in mid-season, or walk when he hits free agency again.

A free agent contract is a gamble. You have to say THIS IS WHAT I will pay for at least one solid season and hopefully more, or don't go there. I still wonder at the need of players to have length in their contracts (although many have the option of going back into free agency mid-contract) as at some point, don't you feel guilty NOT producing for a team that hired you as a gun, rather than developed and nurtured you and exploited you during your early quality seasons (okay, some are not always quality.

If responding, you mention the contract offer and that there are other fish in the sea. That you have added to the bullpen, a weakness in the season past. That there is promise in the system for mid-season, if not sooner. And that you DO have other options...yes, the team you see on paper todfay will NOT be the same team that comes north to Target Field in April!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I don't really think an opinion of a Twins season ticket Rep is that important. There are lots of Mauer haters out there, big contract or not, and it wouldn't surprise me if some worked for the Twins as an usher or a security gaurd or sales person. You can't walk 100 yards without finding one of those people. Just because they work for the Twins doesn't mean they are a fan of the team or Mauer.

I'd file this under "someone who doesn't really give a rip about their job" category. As a Season ticket holder myself, it is their job to push the puppies and rainbows up our butts, but this person didn't do that. If you've ever worked with a person who truly doesn't care about their job, you'd know they'd have no problem putting out their own bad opinions, acting out in some way or put up a minimal effort every single day. This happens in all jobs. I'd put this person under that category.

I'll use twitter as an example. People can say whatever they want out there and there are quite a few people who put in their bio "Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer." The way it reads about the Mauer/Darvish connection that's exactly what this sounds like, their opinion. So either this person doesn't give a rip or they are bad at their job/not smart because there is no way the Twins would want anyone saying something like that, even if it had truth to it. They want their reps to shove puppies and rainbows up our butts.

So why would I or should we care about a random reps opinion? Go on twitter, you can find hundreds if not thousands of people who think the same. Sure, most aren't paid by the Twins...but this still feels very much like this persons personal opinion and it was not smart of them to use their Twins work account to relay that opinion when their job is to retain and gain season ticket holders.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,956 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

I'll bet a large sum of money that these are not circulated talking points for sales reps to regurgitate in their attempts at keeping or landing one of the 12,000 season ticket holders. 

If Dave St. Peter or Laura Day read Twinsdaily. Either or both of them have probably already reached out to Mike Clough to make sure that he is stabilizing the loose cannon in the Sales department. 

If this is legit... You got a hold of this guy. 

hart-bochner-harry-ellis-die-hard-eyes.j

• ashburyjohn, Twins33 and Mr. Brooks like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Yes - I know a lot of people complain about the Mauer contract, and while it has not worked out as well as hoped (although I don't think it is the worst contract ever that people moan about), I don't think it hamstrung the team.

The bottom fell out and I think they did not spend any money because they decided they were more than one (or two or three...) players a way from being a contender, so they tightened the purse strings.I think without the Mauer contract it would have been a similar roster during the lean years, but with $ 15 to 20 million less in payroll.

• 70charger likes this