Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Response from the Twins to email requesting season ticket refunds

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

Good morning David,

I understand the frustration and as a big fan of the team myself, I get it. I will say that we put a competitive offer (north of $100m) on the table and flew down to Texas to offer it to him in person. I don’t know if you are able to say the same about past regimes. Also, to offer an older pitcher a 6th year on a contract is silly and longer contracts have hamstrung this team in the past (i.e. Joe Mauer). That isn’t to say he isn’t worth a big deal but that is a big risk.

I do suspect us to do something in free agency or the trade market. As I’m sure you are aware, there are a lot of names still out there. The team you see now will not be the same team come April, that I believe. Not to mention, when you placed this deposit, this team was (and still is) coming off of a playoff season.

Best

Moderator's note: It bears pointing out what is usually obvious anyway, that the above material was posted at the discretion of the author and not by Twins Daily. Twins Daily does not in general take steps to validate others' material. In that light, I am appending to this note a copy of a post further down from John Bonnes:
  1. You can choose to believe it or not. If you don't, I'd suggest your time is best spent with other threads.
  2. If you do believe it, understand that this is one person in the organization expressing their opinion, and it isn't necessarily a decision-maker. In fact, it sounds like it is not. He certainly does not speak for the organization.
  3. We'll be watching closely for uncivil discourse and ready to deal infractions/bans, so keep it VERY civil.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Seems hilarious the Twins are now saying the Mauer contract ‘hamstrung’ them and and using THAT as a main reason why they didn’t give a 6th year to Yu.

Curious on how that Mauer contract hamstrung the Twins to be honest and seems unfair to make him a scapegoat.
  • beckmt likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#3 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Also it’s cool the season ticket rep responded, Twins employ some class people. Even if they are just saying the talking points they have been told, still appreciate the response.

Unfortunately all the class and talent in the world can’t make up for terrible owners.

Edited by DaveW, 12 February 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#4 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Sounds like a lot of excuses if you ask me. The only ones who “hamstrung” the organization after the Mauer deal was the FO themselves, and this after Target Field was supposed to allow the Twins to spend more money on free agents. I guess our pitching staff will certainly be helped with the additions of Chris Tillman and Jaime Garcia.
  • DaveW likes this

#5 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

FAKE.

• gunnarthor, BigSkyTwinsFan, dbminn and 1 other like this

#6 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

FAKE.

It’s not fake.

I can fwd the original email thread to Brock or one of the other owners here if they need clarification/proof.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,157 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

longer contracts have hamstrung this team in the past (i.e. Joe Mauer).

Am I the only one who has a hard time believing that anyone in the Twins organization would say the above in an official capacity?

• Seth Stohs, luckylager, gunnarthor and 6 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Am I the only one who has a hard time believing that anyone in the Twins organization would say the above in an official capacity?

I mean it’s not an official capacity since it’s not someone in the front office...though maybe that is the line they are being fed by the higher ups.

I was pretty surprised at that line to be honest.

#9 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Dear goodness... Is it fair to say any talk of a Mauer extension is a waste of time?

#10 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

By the level of vitriol coming from some folks, you'd think Byung-ho Park had been optioned.;)

• James and Riverbrian like this

#11 bdodge22

bdodge22

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

I mean it’s not an official capacity since it’s not someone in the front office...though maybe that is the line they are being fed by the higher ups.

I was pretty surprised at that line to be honest.

Even if higher ups say that, it's highly unlikely that this is the kind of response the FO wants out there. I love the honesty about building the team and Darvish details however I can't believe that anyone in management in the organization would OK blaming Mauer or his contract for past failures in adding talent. I have to believe heads will roll for this response going public....

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

Also it’s cool the season ticket rep responded, Twins employ some class people. Even if they are just saying the talking points they have been told, still appreciate the response.

Dave, could you post your side of the email too, for more context?

It is very interesting. On one hand, it seems cool to get a seemingly down-to-earth response, but on the other hand, it does feel a bit unprofessional and perhaps dishonest. Are they blaming Mauer? Dissing Terry Ryan? Making a reference to the Vikings flying down to Brett Favre's ranch? :)

If I was a ticket rep, or instructing them, I'd probably advise similar empathy, but without some of the questionable details/assertions.

• beckmt and SF Twins Fan like this

#13 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

"I do suspect us"....

You want me to believe someone with even an ounce of authority and credibility wrote this? Nope.

I'm wrinkling this up and throwing it the same basket as your Dozier trade verification.

• Carole Keller, BigSkyTwinsFan, 70charger and 1 other like this

#14 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

Dave, could you post your side of the email too, for more context?

It is very interesting. On one hand, it seems cool to get a seemingly down-to-earth response, but on the other hand, it does feel a bit unprofessional and perhaps dishonest. Are they blaming Mauer? Dissing Terry Ryan? Making a reference to the Vikings flying down to Brett Favre's ranch? :)

If I was a ticket rep, or instructing them, I'd probably advise similar empathy, but without some of the questionable details/assertions.

Since the Twins apparently have zero real plans of ever competing in free agency or putting a competitive team on the field I will be requesting to cancel my plan and requesting a 100% refund for my deposit.

Tell your bosses that once they invest some money into this club I will invest money into season tickets.

Let me know when it’s canceled and refunded.

Thanks (Redacted)

Sent from my iPhone

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

Even if higher ups say that, it's highly unlikely that this is the kind of response the FO wants out there. I love the honesty about building the team and Darvish details however I can't believe that anyone in management in the organization would OK blaming Mauer or his contract for past failures in adding talent. I have to believe heads will roll for this response going public....

That's an interesting point too. The ticket rep is representing the Twins, but this message was probably intended for Dave only. I wouldn't want to risk reprimand for the person in question.

If not deleting the thread, maybe deleting the exact text of the message and including only a summary would help?

#16 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Heads will roll is right!  Guaranteed there were a few additional "talking points" added by the sales guy.  Love the feedback from the sales department though.  You can always count on the sales guy to put the proper spin on things.  Very telling.  

I mentioned this in another thread but its amazing how quiet the Twins FO has been on the Darvish fall-out.  Haven't really heard a peep about it from anyone...Wonder what they have up their sleeves?  

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#17 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

It’s not fake.

I can fwd the original email thread to Brock or one of the other owners here if they need clarification/proof.

This is as "real" as your Dozier trade thread last year. I'm not sure why you do this stuff.

• BigSkyTwinsFan, Twins33, prouster and 1 other like this

#18 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

That's an interesting point too. The ticket rep is representing the Twins, but this message was probably intended for Dave only. I wouldn't want to risk reprimand for the person in question.

If not deleting the thread, maybe deleting the exact text of the message and including only a summary would help?

But why? If the rep didn't want this information to get out to the general public they shouldn't have sent this as a response. If this is all true it's pretty tactless, especially the part about Mauer as he's still currently employed by the team and one of the all time best to play for the Twins. If this information isn't coming from the higher ups then this person deserves any reprimand they might get.

• 70charger likes this

#19 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

I redacted the name, and also let’s be real, nothing that was said was controversial or going to get anyone in trouble.

Just found it interesting that this is more than likely the ‘line/script’ talking points that the season ticket team has. I’m guessing they have had to deal with quite a few people canceling or trying to cancel tickets over the last several years.

If they actually make a concerted effort to put a team that can win a playoff series (ie fix the starting pitching) I won’t cancel.

#20 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

I don't know if the moderators have the time to re-open this topic or not, as I expect tempers might run high on it and require moderation. If they do, I'd suggest this:

1) You can choose to believe it or not. If you don't, I'd suggest your time is best spent with other threads.

2) If you do believe it, understand that this is one person in the organization expressing their opinion, and it isn't necessarily a decision-maker. In fact, it sounds like it is not. He certainly does not speak for the organization. 

3) We'll be watching closely for uncivil discourse and ready to deal infractions/bans, so keep it VERY civil.

• glunn likes this