Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Top Prospects: #8 Blayne Enlow

blayne enlow
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

I love this and I hope the Twins are really aggressive with him, Rooker, and Lewis.Remember the Kid?Griffey at 19 in mlb.I love it.move fast, get the talent to the bigs and soar with it. 

#42 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

He's going to cost a lot of minor league batters their jobs. "Can't hit the good curve."

Whether that translates into a job in the majors where batters can hit (or lay off of) the good curve, is of course what will decide things for him.

Don't know if this is true, didn'tI hear Cuellers for the Astros threw 24 consecutive curve balls to the Yankees in game 7 and they did nothing with them. 

• Dantes929 likes this

#43 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

Don't know if this is true, didn'tI hear Cuellers for the Astros threw 24 consecutive curve balls to the Yankees in game 7 and they did nothing with them.

All 24 in all their glory:

https://youtu.be/QjngPW6XVvI

#44 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:50 AM

I love this and I hope the Twins are really aggressive with him, Rooker, and Lewis.Remember the Kid?Griffey at 19 in mlb.I love it.move fast, get the talent to the bigs and soar with it. 

You mean Ken Griffey Jr.? One of the most phenomenal players in the history of the game? I don't think there is a current prospect in all of baseball with Ken Griffey Jr. upside. Lets let them develop at an appropriate curve and time frame. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#45 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,469 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

Since my comment garnered two dissents, I guess I should walk it back a little because I wasn't trying to say curveballs aren't good. It really was meant as almost a nothing-conclusion - I might have said, "looks deadly at this point, which is great to see. Time will tell." Which is not much different than any good prospect.

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#46 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Since my comment garnered two dissents, I guess I should walk it back a little because I wasn't trying to say curveballs aren't good. It really was meant as almost a nothing-conclusion - I might have said, "looks deadly at this point, which is great to see. Time will tell." Which is not much different than any good prospect.

I got your point and I agree with you. I watched McCullers throw those 24 again and posted the YouTube link above. The Yankees couldn't do squat with it. ZERO solid contact and at least 5 or 6 K's in 3 innings (I think). He completely shut them down with 1 pitch for multiple innings. If a pitch is that good (Mariano Rivera anyone?) it can serve to shut down some of the best hitters and lineups in the game. I think your point is well taken and most of us are very optimistic about Enlow's development and rise through the Twins' system.

#47 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

No one can argue that. IMO I would turn a few of those coin flips into players that can help us now, before those coin flips come up tails.

Enlow and other prospects like him are usually worth much more to the Twins than anything they would be offered for them. Any buyer will demand an exaggerated discount to cover perceived risks that the Twins see as overstated. I know that people think we overvalue prospects, but it works both ways, and when the mistake is made by the seller of the prospect, it can create a problem that won't go away for years. Wilson Ramos and Matt Garza come to mind.

What makes those prospect for MLB'ers even more dangerous is that you give up multiple prospects, which increases the odds that one of them hits their ceiling while the single MLB player received in return faces his own odds of injury and early decline.

Call me crazy, but I value the combination of Enlow, Badoo, and Graterol more than Archer, for example.

• gunnarthor and Dantes929 like this

#48 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

I dunno. From what I heard other teams knew not to pick him or he'd have gone to LSU. Twins were basically the only team that could offer him enough money by undersigning on Lewis.

Five players (including 3 other high school pitchers) received as large or larger bonuses than Enlow's $2 million despite being drafted between the Twins pick of Leach at #37 and the Enlow pick at #76. It is certainly possible that Enlow really was dead-set on the Twins and scared away other teams with outrageous fake bonus demands, but I think he would have taken their $2.5 million at the #54 pick had the Yankees picked him there (and offered 25% more than what he signed for with the Twins). Instead, I think the Yankees just liked Matt Sauer better. The Rays probably just like Michael Mercado at #40 better, and the Mariners liked Sam Carlson at #55 better.

• birdwatcher, Oxtung and sftwinsfan like this

#49 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Twins had a list of guys that they were going to offer overslot money to at the start of Day 2. Enlow was a good one to nab, and I'm glad we have him, but I doubt the Twins planned to have that specific player there as opposed to knowing they'd have a handful of solid draft prospects available.

*And maybe Enlow was #1 on their wish list of those guys.

Edited by gunnarthor, 13 February 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• birdwatcher, beckmt, markos and 3 others like this

#50 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I dunno. From what I heard other teams knew not to pick him or he'd have gone to LSU. Twins were basically the only team that could offer him enough money by undersigning on Lewis.

I love Enlow. I'd have him as my number 1 pitching prospect in the org. I think he needs to be fast tracked before that spin rate causes his arm to detach at the Enlow.. I mean elbow.

yeah, I think he will be an upper end of the rotation type. Im not sure there is another starting pitching prospect in our minor league system that I have higher expectations of.

#51 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

All 24 in all their glory: https://youtu.be/QjngPW6XVvI

Says he threw 24 straight curve balls. They didn't look straight. Ok bad joke. They actually didn't look like they were great curve balls either. His best and his average for those curve balls did not look as nasty as the best and average of the clip of Enlow.Just more evidence that a guy with a curve ball and fast ball can do just fine without a third pitch if the two pitches are good enough and used in different ways.I think I could have watched a game pitched by Duffey in 2015 and one in 2016 and concluded that it wasn't the batters adjusting to the fact Duffey had only two pitches but simply that Duffey did not throw those two pitches as well. 

• beckmt likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#52 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Twins had a list of guys that they were going to offer overslot money to at the start of Day 2. Enlow was a good one to nab, and I'm glad we have him, but I doubt the Twins planned to have that specific player there as opposed to knowing they'd have a handful of solid draft prospects available.

*And maybe Enlow was #1 on their wish list of those guys.

Yep. I completely agree.

Additionally, my own pet theory is that they had hoped that at least one other top player would have dropped to their 4th round pick at #106. They had enough money to offer another $2M bonus if someone was available. I think that partially explains the needlessly complicated maneuver to take Leach way underslot at #37 (unless, of course, they just really, really liked Leach!). I have yet to read a good explanation on what benefit they would have lost by taking Enlow (or whomever else they liked) at #37, especially a benefit greater than the risk that none of the high-end prospects would be available at #76.

#53 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

With due respect and appreciation for your knowledge, I think you are greatly overstating the legitimacy of an old study that looks at data from 1994 to 2006. There have been so many transformative improvements in virtually every aspect of the process and at every stage of the process since then. Technology that takes much of the judgment away from the trained eyes of scouts who see prospects a handful of times who are now supported by myriads of eyes studying video. Fitness and health upgrades, perhaps most dramatically affecting IFA prospects, knowledge about biomechanics, kinesiology, psychology, better coaching tools and knowledge. I don't have numbers to support it, but my intuition tells me that players who make the top 120 or so today probably enjoy odds that have improved enough so that the odds for Graterol, Badoo, and Enslow are closer to 50% than 25%, that even despite the much worse odds for pitching prospects because of the much higher injury risks.

Sorry for the delayed response on this, but it has occupied my thoughts for a while now. I certainly share the intuition that you articulated - namely, the player development process and prospect evaluation has revolutionized over the past decade-plus. But at the moment I just haven't seen data to back it up that these prospect rankings are significantly better than they were before. Even a chart compiled this offseason doesn't show any major improvement in the overall performance of, at least, BA's prospect lists over the past twenty years: 

It certainly feels like the rankings should be better in this day and age, with so much more information and more people/organizations taking prospect ranking seriously. But at the same time, a lot of the public prospect analysts (and presumably the best) have been hired away by specific clubs. So maybe while teams are getting better and better, there are countervailing forces that are keeping the public content more or less the same. Also, the game itself is changing extremely quickly - the flyball revolution, juiced balls, increased velocity, different balls between majors and minors. It's possible that at some level, the skills (or lack there of) that mattered even five years ago just don't matter in the same way right now. Finally, maybe is just a lag in the data - HS players from the draft class of 2013 are just starting to reach the majors, so we won't really "know" how good the 2014 ranking will be until 2023(?) or so. 

Maybe part of our disagreement is that we are just talking about different things. When I'm talking about a "contributor", I'm talking about a player that is at least a consistent 4th-outfielder, backup catcher, utility infielder, platoon bat, 4th starter or middle reliever. Someone who can provide consistent above-replacement-level performance over a decent time frame. Ben Revere was a contributor. Joe Benson was not. You get the idea. If you are talking about the odds that they will at least get a cup of coffee, then obviously our odds are going to be very different.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. It has certainly given me a lot to ponder about over the last couple days.

• Oxtung likes this

#54 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

From what the scouting report says Enlow’s velocity came back between 90-94 while he pitched for the GCL Twins so that’s better than Duffey’s upper 80’s fastball, plus Enlow is younger...I have more confidence now that Enlow can develop a change rather than Duffey IMO.

What I wrote on my adopted prospect:

18 year old Blayne Enlow was considered a tough sign away from his college commitment to LSU as he's a Louisana boy and a huge fan of the university's athletic program.Even with that said the Twins were able to wriggle him away from college with a 2 million signing bonus in the third round.To put it in perspective, Enlow's76th overall slot was valued at 775K while the 2 million he signed for was valued at 33rd overall slot.

The tall lanky righty who appears to be all arms and legs on the mound signed on the 22nd of June yet didn't appear in a professional game until the 19th of July as he was rebuilding arm strength due to the layoff he had from his high school season.

He had a very impressive 2017 regular season line yet never threw more than 70 pitches and 4 1/3 innings in an outing.

3-0 , 6 G/1GS, 20 1/3 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 4 BB, 19 K, 1.33 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, .141 BAA, 1.77 BB/9, 8.41 K/9

He was impressive to the point where he was entrusted with the GCL Twins playoff game vs the GCL Nationals.The Cajun Heat was splendid through 5 innings giving up 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, and striking out 6 before being trotted back out there to start the 6th inning.Enlow subsequently gave up a bunt single, balked, a run scoring triple and then a run scoring double before being removed.

During the GCL season, Blayne's fastball showed to be a plus pitch sitting 94-95 mph regularly with great life that runs in on the hands of right handed hitters.When he wants he can rearback and get a few more ticks on his fastball as I've seen him max at 97 mph. Still his already above average control over his heater was what really sets him apart.

In addition to his fastball, Blayne features a wicked 84-86 mph slider with hard sharp bite getting as much break vertically as it does horizontally.Characteristically it looks very similar to a hard curveball aka a slurve but he showed me the grip and it's a slider.His other secondary pitch is a changeup but it's still in it's infantile state as he didn't need much of it as a prep pitcher.Nevertheless, Enlow shows a great ability to let the ball tumble out of his hand and releases the 88-89 mph pitch out of the same arm slot as his fastball creating even more deception.

After the GCL season, Enlow was slated to throw in Instuctional ball but it was canceled. Look for Enlow to add some pounds this offseason with further conditioning and muscle building.Depending how aggressive the front office is he'll have an outside chance to start the 2018 season in Cedar Rapids.

Bob's Grades for Blayne Enlow

Fastball50/65
Slider45/65
Changeup40/50
Command45/60

Overall 45/60

Video shot with camera phone, not my best work:

#55 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

What I wrote on my adopted prospect:

18 year old Blayne Enlow was considered a tough sign away from his college commitment to LSU as he's a Louisana boy and a huge fan of the university's athletic program.Even with that said the Twins were able to wriggle him away from college with a 2 million signing bonus in the third round.To put it in perspective, Enlow's76th overall slot was valued at 775K while the 2 million he signed for was valued at 33rd overall slot.

The tall lanky righty who appears to be all arms and legs on the mound signed on the 22nd of June yet didn't appear in a professional game until the 19th of July as he was rebuilding arm strength due to the layoff he had from his high school season.

He had a very impressive 2017 regular season line yet never threw more than 70 pitches and 4 1/3 innings in an outing.

3-0 , 6 G/1GS, 20 1/3 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 4 BB, 19 K, 1.33 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, .141 BAA, 1.77 BB/9, 8.41 K/9

He was impressive to the point where he was entrusted with the GCL Twins playoff game vs the GCL Nationals.The Cajun Heat was splendid through 5 innings giving up 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, and striking out 6 before being trotted back out there to start the 6th inning.Enlow subsequently gave up a bunt single, balked, a run scoring triple and then a run scoring double before being removed.

During the GCL season, Blayne's fastball showed to be a plus pitch sitting 94-95 mph regularly with great life that runs in on the hands of right handed hitters.When he wants he can rearback and get a few more ticks on his fastball as I've seen him max at 97 mph. Still his already above average control over his heater was what really sets him apart.

In addition to his fastball, Blayne features a wicked 84-86 mph slider with hard sharp bite getting as much break vertically as it does horizontally.Characteristically it looks very similar to a hard curveball aka a slurve but he showed me the grip and it's a slider.His other secondary pitch is a changeup but it's still in it's infantile state as he didn't need much of it as a prep pitcher.Nevertheless, Enlow shows a great ability to let the ball tumble out of his hand and releases the 88-89 mph pitch out of the same arm slot as his fastball creating even more deception.
After the GCL season, Enlow was slated to throw in Instuctional ball but it was canceled. Look for Enlow to add some pounds this offseason with further conditioning and muscle building.Depending how aggressive the front office is he'll have an outside chance to start the 2018 season in Cedar Rapids.

Bob's Grades for Blayne Enlow
Fastball50/65
Slider45/65
Changeup40/50
Command45/60
Overall 45/60

Video shot with camera phone, not my best work:

Is okay to be even more excited about him now?? If it wasn’t for Enlow’s dip in his fastball velocity he sounded like a sure fire 1st rounder. I’m excited to see how he progresses. Thanks for the report Bob!!

#56 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Sorry for the delayed response on this, but it has occupied my thoughts for a while now. I certainly share the intuition that you articulated - namely, the player development process and prospect evaluation has revolutionized over the past decade-plus. But at the moment I just haven't seen data to back it up that these prospect rankings are significantly better than they were before. Even a chart compiled this offseason doesn't show any major improvement in the overall performance of, at least, BA's prospect lists over the past twenty years: 

It certainly feels like the rankings should be better in this day and age, with so much more information and more people/organizations taking prospect ranking seriously. But at the same time, a lot of the public prospect analysts (and presumably the best) have been hired away by specific clubs. So maybe while teams are getting better and better, there are countervailing forces that are keeping the public content more or less the same. Also, the game itself is changing extremely quickly - the flyball revolution, juiced balls, increased velocity, different balls between majors and minors. It's possible that at some level, the skills (or lack there of) that mattered even five years ago just don't matter in the same way right now. Finally, maybe is just a lag in the data - HS players from the draft class of 2013 are just starting to reach the majors, so we won't really "know" how good the 2014 ranking will be until 2023(?) or so. 

Maybe part of our disagreement is that we are just talking about different things. When I'm talking about a "contributor", I'm talking about a player that is at least a consistent 4th-outfielder, backup catcher, utility infielder, platoon bat, 4th starter or middle reliever. Someone who can provide consistent above-replacement-level performance over a decent time frame. Ben Revere was a contributor. Joe Benson was not. You get the idea. If you are talking about the odds that they will at least get a cup of coffee, then obviously our odds are going to be very different.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. It has certainly given me a lot to ponder about over the last couple days.

I can say that we were working with decidedly different definitions because I was in fact counting all players who made a MLB roster. So yes, under that criteria, I think I side with your estimates. It will be interesting to see what the results looks like when the data catches up a bit more.

Edited by birdwatcher, 13 February 2018 - 03:16 PM.

#57 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

What if the Twins told the Rays “We’d like to offer you, in exchange for Archer, a package of Kepler and your choice of 3 of these 4 players: Graterol, Badoo, Enlow and Rooker.”

Would you do that?

#58 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

What if the Twins told the Rays “We’d like to offer you, in exchange for Archer, a package of Kepler and your choice of 3 of these 4 players: Graterol, Badoo, Enlow and Rooker.”

Would you do that?

I wouldn't but I'm the low man on Archer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blayne enlow