Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 Staff Compared to 2018

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Everyone is forgetting Tyler Duffey. Could he be the pleasant surprise we all have been waiting for?

forgetting and dismissing are different things
  • notoriousgod71 and SF Twins Fan like this

#82 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Well, sure, but Darvish is the only guy that has a better than even chance of outperforming Berrios in 2018, in my opinion.

Maybe Arrieta depending how you view his 2017 and whether it was an aberration or the start of a decline.

But you're right that in all likelihood, someone outperforms Darvish in 2018... but good luck identifying that person today.

But that is kind of the point. They can regroup and throw more numbers at the rotation and take a chance they click.

And starters will be available at the deadline.
Papers...business papers.

#83 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

Another year of Buxton and Sano lost? That seems like a bad plan.

Any suggestions?Seeing as they didn't sign Darvish.

#84 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

But that is kind of the point. They can regroup and throw more numbers at the rotation and take a chance they click.

And starters will be available at the deadline.

That would be fine for the 5th spot in the rotation. Right now the Twins are throwing numbers from #3 on down in the rotation.

Oh boy, I can't wait to discuss how expensive the rental FA will be in July and the refusal to give up prospects!
  • USAFChief, Twins33, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

#85 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

That would be fine for the 5th spot in the rotation. Right now the Twins are throwing numbers from #3 on down in the rotation.

Oh boy, I can't wait to discuss how expensive the rental FA will be in July and the refusal to give up prospects!

I do think a willingness to trade prospects (when in competition) will be one clear way that the current front office is different than the previous regime.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#86 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I do think a willingness to trade prospects (when in competition) will be one clear way that the current front office is different than the previous regime.

we'll see.

• TheLeviathan and SF Twins Fan like this

#87 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

I hope so. Because willingness to go after top FAs is pretty similar.
  • notoriousgod71, TheLeviathan and SF Twins Fan like this

#88 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I hope so. Because willingness to go after top FAs is pretty similar.

That's a reality of the market/revenue/payroll situation.

#89 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Call it dumb luck, because in some ways (I don't know ti what degree,) it was.  But the FO's Plan B or F or whatever it was regarding augmenting the relief corp is looking good.  I'm fine with criticizing the way it went down with Darvish, but I'm also waiting to see how it all shakes out.  Including the actual games being played.

I think my irrational hope that Romero has a Liriano-like season is only as irrational as any hope I had that Darvish (or Otenai) would be a Twin.  Probably less.  Any way, the uncertainty inherent in sports matchups, is what makes it all...sporting.

(Say sport/sporting to yourself a few times, and see how absurd it starts to sound.)

#90 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

There are lots of arms, but very few IMO are ready to be MLB caliber players at this point. Several of the names thrown out have little to no experience at the AAA level... Below are names and the career amount of innings they've thrown at their highest level of play. 

Littell: (85 IP at AA)
Gonsalves: (22.6 IP at AAA, 161 at AA)
Romero: (125 IP at AA)
Slegers: (15.3 IP at MLB, 148.3 IP at AAA)
Jorge: (7.6 IP at MLB, 14.3 IP at AAA)

That's a huge ask to count on this group to be successful MLB players. I'm afraid that's asking for a rotation of 30-50 innings of 8 ERA a piece.

Well noted. At what point do you take the training wheels off though? There used to be a belief that if a starting pitcher had command of 3 pitches and had experience above AA, that pitcher could be viewed as getting closer to showtime. For a reliever that throws gas its 2 pitches of command. Just saying that each pitcher should be evaluated on their own merits. Sometimes young pitchers with command can make the jump quicker.

#91 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Well noted. At what point do you take the training wheels off though? There used to be a belief that if a starting pitcher had command of 3 pitches and had experience above AA, that pitcher could be viewed as getting closer to showtime. For a reliever that throws gas its 2 pitches of command. Just saying that each pitcher should be evaluated on their own merits. Sometimes young pitchers with command can make the jump quicker.

I agree, and think it's case by case with these guys too. Gonsalves I think could adjust and be moderately successful this season. I'd still like him to have another 50 innings in AAA to start the year and assess the situation in early June.

With guys like Romero that has good stuff but shaky control, I'd like him to get 125+ innings at AAA before considering him in the rotation.
  • Sconnie likes this

#92 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

I did not say he might be one of our 5 best starters. I asked the question of whether he would be better than our #5 starter. The reason is that if he were here, whomever ends up #5 would not. I followed with the words, Maybe...Probably.

Your somewhat harsh response indicates that you failed to read or understand what I was saying. Should he get injured or continue his decline, MAYBE he wouldn't be better. I then proceed to say, however, that he PROBABLY will be better. To rip me a new one is clearly out of bounds had you thought about what I actually said.

No, he will definitely be better than our #5 starter.
Unless we move Berrios into the #5 spot for some weird reason, otherwise give me a name. Any realistic name that will be in that #5 spot that has a chance to even maybe be better than Darvish in 2018.

#93 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

No, he will definitely be better than our #5 starter.
Unless we move Berrios into the #5 spot for some weird reason, otherwise give me a name. Any realistic name that will be in that #5 spot that has a chance to even maybe be better than Darvish in 2018.

Trevor May

#94 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

Trevor May

Considering May won't be available to start the season in the rotation, I'm not sure how signing Darvish would have blocked May from the rotation in any way.

But, we'll check in on Darvish vs. May after 2018 anyway.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#95 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Considering May won't be available to start the season in the rotation, I'm not sure how signing Darvish would have blocked May from the rotation in any way.
But, we'll check in on Darvish vs. May after 2018 anyway.

Must have missed your requirement to start the season..Excuse my ignoreence

#96 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

Must have missed your requirement to start the season..Excuse my ignoreence

No, there are no requirements.
But the poster I quoted specifically said that signing Darvish might block a guy that could be better than him in 2018.
I'm just not seeing how Darvish would block Trevor May, that's all.

#97 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

No, there are no requirements.
But the poster I quoted specifically said that signing Darvish might block a guy that could be better than him in 2018.
I'm just not seeing how Darvish would block Trevor May, that's all.

Again you failed to read what I am saying.I did not say Darvish might block someone that could be better.I asked the question of whether he would be better than the #5 starter.And I then said, Maybe...Probably.I then gave a couple reasons which if they were to occur would have him not being better than whomever our #5 is.They included his being on the DL for a significant period of time or his game degrading.I would appreciate your reading what I am saying...every word.Going forward, I will no longer respond to your comments and would appreciate your doing the same.

#98 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Again you failed to read what I am saying. I did not say Darvish might block someone that could be better. I asked the question of whether he would be better than the #5 starter. And I then said, Maybe...Probably. I then gave a couple reasons which if they were to occur would have him not being better than whomever our #5 is. They included his being on the DL for a significant period of time or his game degrading. I would appreciate your reading what I am saying...every word. Going forward, I will no longer respond to your comments and would appreciate your doing the same.

I misunderstood the following quote from you then:

"The reason is that if he were here, whomever ends up #5 would not."

What did you mean by this, if not that Darvish would be blocking whoever would have ended up #5?