Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2017 Staff Compared to 2018

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

Starting Pitchers – 5
RHP Ervin Santana
LHP Hector Santiago
RHP Kyle Gibson
RHP Phil Hughes
LHP Adalberto Mejia

Opening day 2017....

Did we forget what we started with in 2017?

Starting Pitchers - 5
RHP Berrios
New trade or FA
Gibson
Meija
Gonsalves or Slegers

In May we have Santana and Trevor May available hopefully. Is this rotation that much worse than what we started with in 2017. Why don't we wait until the season starts to see what we have. Dont burn your Twins jerseys yet. Im hoping for a Santana Berrios Gonsalves Romero May rotation at some point next season.

Edited by Twinfan & Dad, 10 February 2018 - 08:44 PM.

• mikelink45, tarheeltwinsfan, nclahammer and 1 other like this

#2 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

Well Santana is out for at least the first month/month and a half if not longer, so that is a concern.

When Berrios and Gibson are our 'best two' SP going into the season at this stage it's big trouble, especially when you look around the league at the other 'contenders'

Gibson is nothing more than a #5 on a contender or ideally at least, for us he could be the opening day starter, which says it all.

• Sconnie, laloesch, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#3 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Well Santana is out for at least the first month/month and a half if not longer, so that is a concern.
When Berrios and Gibson are our 'best two' SP going into the season at this stage it's big trouble, especially when you look around the league at the other 'contenders'
Gibson is nothing more than a #5 on a contender or ideally at least, for us he could be the opening day starter, which says it all.

Very true. Berrios slots into our number 1 at this point. What I dont see Dave is a Hughes or Santiago so I'll put a plus in the column for 2018 for that. I like what we may look like in May and June with Santana and May coming back plus not paying a Darvich type 20 million to sit on the DL or be a .500 pitcher.
  • mikelink45 and bighat like this

#4 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

That's why they play the games, right? I love seeing young talent step up. Much more fun than watching old talent disappoint.

If it doesn't happen, too bad, but I enjoy watching the drama. I'm a Twins fan by choice--I prefer the underdog story to rooting for mercenaries anyway.
  • Dantes929, nclahammer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 2 others like this

#5 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

Very true. Berrios slots into our number 1 at this point. What I dont see Dave is a Hughes or Santiago so I'll put a plus in the column for 2018 for that. I like what we may look like in May and June with Santana and May coming back plus not paying a Darvich type 20 million to sit on the DL or be a .500 pitcher.

Yeah, I mean they could do ok, and I hope they do, we are just counting on a LOT of good things to break right.

Santana coming back very strong after the surgery (no guarantee)

Berrios taking a BIG step forward this year (no guarantee)
May coming back from a big injury etc

Also as high as I am on on some of the potential rookie SP, it's really hard to count on rookie SP to do much of anything their first year or so in the majors, sort of the nature of the beast to be honest, not a knock on them at all, but in general it's pretty rare for a rookie SP to put together top of the rotation type of numbers (which the Twins need)

Hopefully Hughes can come back somewhat as well.
I dunno though, it could all break right, but it could end up disastrous as well. I'm not super high on a guy like Cobb, but at least he could go a long ways to help stabilize the rotation and 'keep you in games' would have been nice to have a guy like Darvish who can truly dominate though.

• diehardtwinsfan, beckmt and Sconnie like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,405 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

Pitchers and catchers report in 3 days. They’ll sign Chris Tillman to be the 4th starter and bring up Slegers when they need a 5th starter
  • lukeduke1980 likes this

#7 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

Pitchers and catchers report in 3 days. They’ll sign Chris Tillman to be the 4th starter and bring up Slegers when they need a 5th starter

I'm all for signing Tillman, but penciling him in as a #4 would be a mistake, he was the worst starter in the MLB last year, and his 2015 was pretty poor as well. I think he is a solid bounce back candidate, but I wouldn't just pencil him into the 4 spot or prob even the 5 spot (without a lot of good backup plans) imo.

• Danchat and Sconnie like this

#8 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

Yeah, I mean they could do ok, and I hope they do, we are just counting on a LOT of good things to break right.

Santana coming back very strong after the surgery (no guarantee)
Berrios taking a BIG step forward this year (no guarantee)
May coming back from a big injury etc
Also as high as I am on on some of the potential rookie SP, it's really hard to count on rookie SP to do much of anything their first year or so in the majors, sort of the nature of the beast to be honest, not a knock on them at all, but in general it's pretty rare for a rookie SP to put together top of the rotation type of numbers (which the Twins need)
Hopefully Hughes can come back somewhat as well.
I dunno though, it could all break right, but it could end up disastrous as well. I'm not super high on a guy like Cobb, but at least he could go a long ways to help stabilize the rotation and 'keep you in games' would have been nice to have a guy like Darvish who can truly dominate though.

I agree with you that I am looking at alot of things to break right and that our young pitchers will have growing pains. Hughes and Santiago both were awful and so whomever we compare to them in 2018 in the early part of the season, hopefully will perform better. We will miss Santana. I agree Darvich can dominate but he also had some bad stretches and with his injury history, I just couldnt get too excited about his signing. I am optimistic (maybe overly) that our young guys will step up. Gonsalves and Romero will be solid pitchers at some point I'm just pushing their timeline to being major contributors up!

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

What is this injury history you keep mentioning with Darvish?
Hasn't he been pretty healthy, outside of the TJ Surgery?

#10 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

What is this injury history you keep mentioning with Darvish?
Hasn't he been pretty healthy, outside of the TJ Surgery?

08/17/2017Lower Back Tightness10-Day Disabled List06/09/2016Right Shoulder Discomfort15-Day Disabled List03/25/2016Recovery From Right Elbow Surgery15-Day Disabled List03/01/2016Recovery From Right Elbow SurgeryDay-To-Day04/05/2015Right Elbow Surgery - Out For Season60-Day Disabled List03/07/2015Right Elbow Surgery - Out For SeasonDay-To-Day

Darvich also missed numerous starts while not going on the DL. He has averaged 166 innings in his 5 years of pitching.
  • nclahammer and FlauerPauer like this

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

08/17/2017Lower Back Tightness10-Day Disabled List06/09/2016Right Shoulder Discomfort15-Day Disabled List03/25/2016Recovery From Right Elbow Surgery15-Day Disabled List03/01/2016Recovery From Right Elbow SurgeryDay-To-Day04/05/2015Right Elbow Surgery - Out For Season60-Day Disabled List03/07/2015Right Elbow Surgery - Out For SeasonDay-To-Day

Darvich also missed numerous starts while not going on the DL. He has averaged 166 innings in his 5 years of pitching.

So not much, aside from the TJ Surgery.
A few missed starts, not that uncommon.
You are including time lost to TJ in your average innings.
He averages 193 innings in the seasons not affected by the TJ surgery. That's pretty good, IMO.
  • USAFChief, Twins33, Bob Sacamento and 3 others like this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

24th in innings pitched last year. ...
  • HitInAPinch likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#13 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

So not much, aside from the TJ Surgery.
A few missed starts, not that uncommon.
You are including time lost to TJ in your average innings.
He averages 193 innings in the seasons not affected by the TJ surgery. That's pretty good, IMO.

2014- 144 innings
2015- out
2016- 100 innings
2017- 186 innings

To me looks like a 50/50 coin toss what you get next. Aging strike out pitcher who has logged a lot of innings when including his Japan stats. Coming off a average at best 2017. Worth 20 million. Not IMO.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#14 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

I am not at all disappointed by the Darvish non-signing. Frankly, I'd be OK if they offered Jake Arrieta a one-year, $30-million deal with a player option for year 2 at the same price. It would give Arrieta a chance to pitch his tail off to get the deal he expected to get this year, and if he pitches like he did two years ago for the Cubs, the Twins would gladly pay $1 million a start. 

By the time his deal is over (even if he takes the year two option), the team should have some of the young pitchers (Romero, Gonsalves, Littell & Mejia) in good shape to match with Berrios and May in the rotation.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#15 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Santana Berrios May Meija Gonsalves Romero Slegers and whatever 20 million per year can buy us. I will take this flexibility over the unknown of a 31.5 year old Darvich for 6 years. An aging strikeout pitcher who has logged a lot of innings in his JAPAN and U.S. career and coming off a subpar 2017.
  • Teddy, Dozier's Glorious Hair and terrydactyls1947 like this

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:31 PM

Well of course the 2018 staff is going to look worse than the 2017 staff after the de facto ace goes down to injury and we're only 8 hours removed from Plan A failing.

The rotation is the prime weakness on this team and I'm confident there will be at least one starter added. Now's not the time to start panicking... if we're a week away from Opening Day and the rotation is Berrios-Gibson-Mejia-Slegers-Tillman... then the panicking shall commence.

• Twins33 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#17 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Everyone is forgetting Tyler Duffey.Could he be the pleasant surprise we all have been waiting for?  

• Teddy and bighat like this

#18 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

Everyone is forgetting Tyler Duffey. Could he be the pleasant surprise we all have been waiting for?

Do people not get how dramatic a fall off it is from Darvish to whoever we throw out there? Duffy? Gonsalves? Gonsalves profiles almost identically to Mejia no? At least as a prospect? Arguably worse stuff? Romero is most likely a bull pen guy. May couldn't clearly beat out Pelfry. There is some hope there. But realistically no chance in hell any one or combination of those arms can replace the production of a Darvish. I'd actually bet on Hughes to have an impact over any of those other options and I'm not even sure he has any ribs left.

Not to mention we'll probably spend that money anyway. On worse components. And if we don't, we're certainly not banking it for next year or for any other signing or extension.

Edited by Jham, 11 February 2018 - 12:09 AM.

• Twins33, notoriousgod71, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

Starting Pitchers – 5
RHP Ervin Santana
LHP Hector Santiago
RHP Kyle Gibson
RHP Phil Hughes
LHP Adalberto Mejia

Opening day 2017....

Did we forget what we started with in 2017?

Starting Pitchers - 5
RHP Berrios
New trade or FA
Gibson
Meija
Gonsalves or Slegers

In May we have Santana and Trevor May available hopefully. Is this rotation that much worse than what we started with in 2017. Why don't we wait until the season starts to see what we have. Dont burn your Twins jerseys yet. Im hoping for a Santana Berrios Gonsalves Romero May rotation at some point next season.

Well I guess my problem is that I'm not OK with a repeat of 2017. I've waited long enough for a World Series title and those pitchers almost surely aren't good enough to get to the ALCS let along win it all.

• USAFChief, HitInAPinch and SF Twins Fan like this

#20 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Do people not get how dramatic a fall off it is from Darvish to whoever we throw out there? Duffy? Gonsalves? Gonsalves profiles almost identically to Mejia no? At least as a prospect? Arguably worse stuff? Romero is most likely a bull pen guy. May couldn't clearly beat out Pelfry. There is some hope there. But realistically no chance in hell any one or combination of those arms can replace the production of a Darvish. I'd actually bet on Hughes to have an impact over any of those other options and I'm not even sure he has any ribs left.
Not to mention we'll probably spend that money anyway. On worse components. And if we don't, we're certainly not banking it for next year or for any other signing or extension.

I guess we will just have to play the games then because we certainly have different opinions on Darvich and the Twins starters. Time will tell.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this