Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Will the Twins ever sign a top free agent or are we all just wasting our time?

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#21 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Agree to a point. The meat of the Twins' roster is young and not currently sucking a ton of salary. That is going to change rapidly in the next 3+ years. I would hate to see year 5-6 of Darvish's contract cause the Twins to lose a Berrios, Buxton or Sano.

The Twins also have a ton of salary coming off the books in the next few years as well.

Worrying so much about a bunch of hypotheticals 5 years down the road is a terrible way to run a franchise.
  • USAFChief, beckmt, Sssuperdave and 4 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#22 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

My response to the signing ... meh. Not what I hoped to happen but not at all surprising.

My next hope would be that when we play the Cubs in Wrigley at the end of June, we face Yu and beat the crap out of the Cubs. :)
  • glunn, brvama, beckmt and 3 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Depends on what you mean by top FA. Both Nolasco and Santana were top 10 FA in their respective years. If you mean shelling out for Darvish or someone even more expensive, no. The Pohlads still own this team.

• Dantes929, PseudoSABR and Platoon like this

#24 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Depends on what you mean by top FA. Both Nolasco and Santana were top 10 FA in their respective years. If you mean shelling out for Darvish or someone even more expensive, no. The Pohlads still own this team.

For the sake of this convo: let’s say 9 figures. Or hell even $80 mil+

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

The Twins are in a good cycle right now. Top players aren't interested in signing short deals, they made that very apparent this offseason.

I expect them to sign a good free agent. Never anticipated them outbidding the top teams for the top guys.

By short deals, I meant elite guys near end of career, not elite guys looking at first fa deal.
  • howieramone2 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Just a reminder that the Twins signed Joe Mauer to a contract that remains one of the 15 largest in MLB history. 

• PseudoSABR, milldam, bizaff and 4 others like this

#27 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

Just a reminder that the Twins signed Joe Mauer to a contract that remains one of the 15 largest in MLB history.

He wasn’t a free agent.

Also one big contract in 25 years, WOW! Pretty much Steinbrenner version 2.0 at that rate.

Color me unimpressed.

Edited by DaveW, 10 February 2018 - 03:43 PM.

• wagwan, gunnarthor, beckmt and 2 others like this

#28 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

The Darvish situation was an almost unprecedented alignment of team need, personal connections, resources available, and limited competition (Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers all unwilling to spend the required money). If the Twins were unable to succeed in this scenario, I can't see time in the future where things will ever be more conducive to signing a top free agent, meaning I highly doubt Minnesota will ever compete for top talent.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, glunn and 15 others like this

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

For the sake of this convo: let’s say 9 figures. Or hell even $80 mil+

80m? I'd probably say yes in the next three years. Nine figures? No. Not until we get different owners.

#30 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

The Darvish situation was an almost unprecedented alignment of team need, personal connections, resources available, and limited competition (Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers all unwilling to spend the required money). If the Twins were unable to succeed in this scenario, I can't see time in the future where things will ever be more conducive to signing a top free agent, meaning I highly doubt Minnesota will ever compete for top talent.

The cherry on top would have been if he was a Minnesota native.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

To me, the answer is yes they will. Exactly who or when or how much I can't say. I am disappointed in hell how the Darvish situation turned out, but really, this was not only the FIRST big FA safari the new FO has been on, but the fact they even joined this hunt is something Ryan would not have even considered.

I am not making any excuses, and a little upset that he SEEMED to sign for what was REPORTED/HINTED the Twins offered per season, but if the reported terms are even close to accurate, then it appears to me Darvish never had any real intention of signing with the Twins.

Now if the Twins were that close and Darvish was, indeed, interested, then shame on them for not bumping their offer. Not sure we're ever going to know.
  • glunn, Twins33, beckmt and 4 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

I expect them to sign a good free agent. Never anticipated them outbidding the top teams for the top guys.

By short deals, I meant elite guys near end of career, not elite guys looking at first fa deal.

Unless they can convince Arrieta to take a short deal and reset his value (unlikely,) I would rather the Twins pursue a trade than sign Cobb or Lynn. 

Gotcha, yeah I don't think they'll have trouble bringing in formerly elite guys near their end as long as the team is winning.  

#33 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Unless they can convince Arrieta to take a short deal and reset his value (unlikely,) I would rather the Twins pursue a trade than sign Cobb or Lynn.

Gotcha, yeah I don't think they'll have trouble bringing in formerly elite guys near their end as long as the team is winning.

I would go 4 years on Cobb or Lynn, but definite downside risk.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#34 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

I will play Captain Obvious here and point out the following.

-Mauer was a hometown legend.
-He just had a stunning season.
-He was young and worth the money as a catcher.
-Not a FA.
-The team just had received several dollars for the new Target Field from taxpayers. One of the CORE promises, and premises was the increased revenue stream would allow the retention of talent. Mauer was the perfect storm. It's not a stretch to say that 50% of his contract could have been allocated to public relations.
  • wagwan, gunnarthor, beckmt and 5 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#35 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

-Not a FA.
-The team just had received several dollars for the new Target Field from taxpayers. One of the CORE promises, and premises was the increased revenue stream would allow the retention of talent. Mauer was the perfect storm. It's not a stretch to say that 50% of his contract could have been allocated to public relations.

Well said!

#36 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

Love how people give so much benefit of the doubt to a team who hasn’t won a playoff game in a decade+ and who has one playoff series win in 26 years and has never signed a top free agent during that span as well.

Love how you can go into hyperbolic histrionics over this.

• gunnarthor, SwainZag, PseudoSABR and 5 others like this

#37 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

He wasn’t a free agent.

So what? If they'd waited a year and signed him to the same deal, it would have been more satisfying to you? 

The fact remains that the Twins are still actively paying out one of the largest contracts in MLB history. A much bigger one than Darvish just got. And there are still plenty of other FAs out there. So let's ease up on the exaggerated outrage a little.  

-Not a FA.

You're right. It was a complete no-brainer. And look how it turned out. Isn't that sort of instructive about the nature of these contracts?

• Danchat, Major Leauge Ready, DocBauer and 4 others like this

#38 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

80m? I'd probably say yes in the next three years. Nine figures? No. Not until we get different owners.

Really doubt changing owners would change the reality of the market.

#39 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I would go 4 years on Cobb or Lynn, but definite downside risk.

If it's between a trade for Odorizzi or signing Cobb/Lynn I would sign either of the 2 and give up the unknown talent (pick) rather than prospects who have started to establish themselves. Both Cobb and Lynn would be a boost, but IMO they aren't the pitcher you want starting game 1 or 2 of a playoff series. They certainly could sign either of the two and still work out a trade. That might be the best case scenario.

True, there's downside risk, but after swinging and missing on Darvish the Twins have to do something. 

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Really doubt changing owners would change the reality of the market.

Couldn't hurt

• wagwan likes this