Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Will the Twins ever sign a top free agent or are we all just wasting our time?

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Glad the Twins could get the taxpayers to give them a new stadium! But fail to pull the very very very reasonable trigger on Darvish.

So my question is:

Will the Twins ever be serious about brining in a top FA?

Or do we have to hope and pray we develop everything internally and hit lightning in a bottle?
  • Sssuperdave and Sconnie like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

When the speculation about Darvish to the Twins started, I said I believe it's pure fantasy to believe the Twins will sign Darvish.

• Tomj14 likes this

#3 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Canceling my 20 game plan next year, hope more follow suit.

81-81 baby

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

81-81 baby

That is optimistic. We don't even have a 4th or 5th starter three days from camp and if it ends up being Tillman and Lackey we won't win 75.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#5 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

81-81 baby

I'll be there during the Cleveland Series.Going to the June 1-3 games.

Edited by jimmer, 10 February 2018 - 02:35 PM.

#6 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

As soon as mlb addresses tanking and hording profits/ profit shares maybe.

#7 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 214 posts

So the Twins missed out on the top SP available. That means they didn't make a serious offer? I wouldn't give Darvish (or anyone besides Kershaw) a 6 year deal.  

• brvama, SwainZag, PseudoSABR and 8 others like this

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

6/126 is very light. Did the Twins offer 5/126?
  • Doomtints and KirbyDome89 like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#9 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

I'll be there during the Cleveland Series. Going to the June 1-3 games.

I will still goto plenty of games, just will buy them at below market value or goto other cities.

Shame on the Twins. We somehow are the only franchise in sports that has a young team, make the playoffs and then just sort of be satisfied with that and NOT improve our biggest weakness.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

They probably won't and shouldn't. Not sure why anyone thinks they would be able to outbid the Cubs or Dodgers on a long term deal.

They can still sign good FAs and top guys on short deals when they are in a good cycle.
  • howieramone2 and Broker like this
Papers...business papers.

#11 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

So the Twins missed out on the top SP available. That means they didn't make a serious offer? I wouldn't give Darvish (or anyone besides Kershaw) a 6 year deal.

More affordable to the average middle class family: 15 yr fixed or 30 yr fixed mortgage? 15 yr is a better value (potentially) but not feasible for people on limited incomes (payroll constraints). Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a house if you can only afford the 30 yr. Might be your only option in fact.
  • Twins33 and Bob Sacamento like this

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,590 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

1st... we don't know what the Twins offered Darvish. Where Darvish wants to go is always going to be a part of the equation so a complete rebuke of the organization isn't fair without that key information. 

2nd... I will withhold overall judgement until the off season is complete. If all eggs were in the Darvish basket then I think it is completely fair to say that they failed. 

3rd... If Plan B or C is decent enough... The benefit of the doubt is still reasonable. 

4th... Yeah... If the Twins couldn't top that offer and get a deal done this year in the current climate with the Dodgers and Yankees out. They may never sign a top free agent. I think feeling that way is completely fair. 

5th... I would have given him a 7th year or 6/150 but I'm not responsible for keeping the current and future math on the spreadsheets on target. 

• brvama, beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

1st... we don't know what the Twins offered Darvish. Where Darvish wants to go is always going to be a part of the equation so a complete rebuke of the organization isn't fair without that key information.

2nd... I will withhold overall judgement until the off season is complete. If all eggs were in the Darvish basket then I think it is completely fair to say that they failed.

3rd... If Plan B or C is decent enough... The benefit of the doubt is still reasonable.

4th... Yeah... If the Twins couldn't top that offer and get a deal done this year in the current climate with the Dodgers and Yankees out. They may never sign a top free agent. I think feeling that way is completely fair.

5th... I would have given him a 7th year or 6/150 but I'm not responsible for keeping the current and future math on the spreadsheets on target.

They offered 5 years, a little north of $100mil.

I'm with you on B. Nothing wrong with going after Darvish, but it was always a longshot and I hope they lock up Cobb or Lynn.

My expectation was always one of those two on a 4ish year deal and then another guy on a one year deal.
  • Dantes929 and howieramone2 like this
Papers...business papers.

#14 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

Benefit of the doubt. No reason to not believe the Twins weren't serious about Darvish. All signs pointed to CHC, LAD, NYY, and maybe TEX as preferred landing spots. Not unreasonable to consider the Twins offered the same contract (or even beat it) and Darvish simply chose the larger market. 

• Twins33, howieramone2, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#15 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

Glad the Twins could get the taxpayers to give them a new stadium! But fail to pull the very very very reasonable trigger on Darvish.
So my question is:
Will the Twins ever be serious about brining in a top FA?
Or do we have to hope and pray we develop everything internally and hit lightning in a bottle?

Maybe the Twins did "pull the very very very reasonable trigger" on Darvish and Darvish responded with "I don't want to play in Minnesota." No one writing on this web site has all the facts surrounding the negotiations, so to start the whining about a free stadium is a little childish.

And out of curiousity, why would anybody "brine" a free agent? Aren't they tender enough already?
  • The Wise One, Rhino and Compass and howieramone2 like this

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,590 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

They offered 5 years, a little north of $100mil.

I'm with you on B. Nothing wrong with going after Darvish, but it was always a longshot and I hope they lock up Cobb or Lynn.

My expectation was always one of those two on a 4ish year deal and then another guy on a one year deal.

Maybe... but I haven't seen anything definite about what the Twins offered... Maybe the Agent never called the Twins back to say that the Cubs are at 6 years to give them a chance to beat it. Maybe the Agent has been telling the Twins that Darvish had a 6 year offer every single phone conversation. Maybe if the Twins would have offered 6 years back in January the deal would have been done. No way of knowing for sure. 

But Yeah... The Twins had to know it was possible that Darvish would sign elsewhere... it's time to find out if they had a decent plan B. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#17 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Benefit of the doubt. No reason to not believe the Twins weren't serious about Darvish. All signs pointed to CHC, LAD, NYY, and maybe TEX as preferred landing spots. Not unreasonable to consider the Twins offered the same contract (or even beat it) and Darvish simply chose the larger market. 

40 years of history suggest they weren't serious about signing an impact FA.

Edited by notoriousgod71, 10 February 2018 - 03:17 PM.

• USAFChief, wagwan, DaveW and 3 others like this

#18 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

They probably won't and shouldn't. Not sure why anyone thinks they would be able to outbid the Cubs or Dodgers on a long term deal.

They can still sign good FAs and top guys on short deals when they are in a good cycle.

The Twins are in a good cycle right now. Top players aren't interested in signing short deals, they made that very apparent this offseason. 

#19 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Love how people give so much benefit of the doubt to a team who hasn’t won a playoff game in a decade+ and who has one playoff series win in 26 years and has never signed a top free agent during that span as well.

Edited by DaveW, 10 February 2018 - 03:18 PM.

• wagwan, Sssuperdave, NapoleonComplex and 2 others like this

#20 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

More affordable to the average middle class family: 15 yr fixed or 30 yr fixed mortgage? 15 yr is a better value (potentially) but not feasible for people on limited incomes (payroll constraints). Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a house if you can only afford the 30 yr. Might be your only option in fact.

Agree to a point. The meat of the Twins' roster is young and not currently sucking a ton of salary. That is going to change rapidly in the next 3+ years. I would hate to see year 5-6 of Darvish's contract cause the Twins to lose a Berrios, Buxton or Sano.  

• howieramone2 likes this