Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Top Prospects: #9 Brusdar Graterol

brusdar graterol twins daily top prospects
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

Well Graterol threw plenty in EST before making his official stateside debut with the GCL Twins in late June, so I still think the same theory applies.

I can accept that.I was just pointing out that the jump was not as large as you implied. Your original suggestion, carried through to it's conclusion, is that in 2019 he'll be ready for a full 170ish innings you get in full season ball which I think is unlikely. 

Out of curiosity, do you know roughly how many innings a player throws in EST? Clearly it varies per player's readiness but a rough estimate?

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

I am a Brusdar booster, a Brusdar booster, a Brusdar booster .

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Administrators
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

Out of curiosity, do you know roughly how many innings a player throws in EST? Clearly it varies per player's readiness but a rough estimate?

That's a good question. I'm sure it varies some case-by-case. Maybe Seth will stop by and chime in with an answer for us.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Our individual rankings for Graterol:

Seth (7), Nick (9), Cody (8), TOM (SEVENTEEN)... 

Emphasis by me... Ha!

• Tom Froemming and jrod23 like this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

It does vary, but if they spent all of EST, they'd make one start a week, and build up to 5ish innings, so you're probably talking 40-50 tops... obviously less for relievers. 

• Oxtung and Tom Froemming like this

#26 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Jose Berrios was drafted in 2012, the year he “threw 30 innings”. Presumably, he threw much more than that during his senior year of high school making the jump in IP much less than 30 - 100 like you suggest.

Old topic but if I am not mistaken there is little to no evidence that innings limits have any effect at all.Twins are considered to be one of the most cautious teams in terms of protecting prospect arms while also being historically and collectively considered softer throwers than average but does anyone think the Twins pitchers have had fewer injuries than average? Blyleven threw 141 innings at age 18, 210 at age 19 and 278 at age 20. It just seems bizarre to me that some one can throw 80 innings and the protocol is to shut them down, have them take 6 months off and now they can throw 100 innings.I think it makes sense to not let a guy throw 100 pitches right away in ST or not letting a guy throw too many pitches in one inning but a lot of the precautions seem to have no scientific or even anecdotal evidence supporting them.I do remember one article supporting what we saw Gibson doing last year which is exercise and stretch in between innings.That makes sense. Having someone with arm fatigue or soreness sit out a start or two makes sense. Shutting guys down for reaching innings limits just seems arbitrary to me and deprives them of developmental experience..

• BJames likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Administrators
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Our individual rankings for Graterol:

Seth (7), Nick (9), Cody (8), TOM (SEVENTEEN)... 

Emphasis by me... Ha!

I try not to rank relief pitchers inside my top 10 ... :)

#28 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

I can accept that.I was just pointing out that the jump was not as large as you implied. Your original suggestion, carried through to it's conclusion, is that in 2019 he'll be ready for a full 170ish innings you get in full season ball which I think is unlikely. 

I'm probably the biggest Brusdar fan here, I got to know him quiet well during his rehab on and off the field down in Ft. Myers, great kid.He always kept me up to date with his progress, even when I didn't ask.When he first got clearance to throw off the mound after TJS, he was like a kid on Christmas.I'm rooting for him big time, high velo fastball that gets straight at times, a hard biting slider and a developing changeup.If he stays healthy, he's at least a late inning power arm.

As for EXST, from my count of outings last year he threw roughly 30 innings give or take a few innings much like Romero the year before.The two are very similar in stuff and personality.

BrusdarGraterolFacesmall
BrusdarGraterolFace (2)
BrusdarGraterol (3)
BrusdarGraterolPedroGarciaJordanBalazovicCharting1

Here are a few videos I shot of him over the last year or so

Side session 9/16/16 (first side session after TJS)

EXST game action 5/19/17

EXST game action 5/29/17

GCL game action 7/22/17

Edited by Bob Sacamento, 09 February 2018 - 07:07 PM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Twins33 and 6 others like this

#29 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting stuff!

#30 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:14 AM

Looks like he finishes each pitch differently. He has a shorter stride and finish with his Fastball and just the opposite of that with his slider/off speed stuff. Not sure if that's something that can be picked up on quickly enough to make a difference (a la, Darvish in the 2017 WS). But to this HIGHLY untrained eye...I noticed a lack of consistency.
  • Dantes929 likes this

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Looks like he finishes each pitch differently. He has a shorter stride and finish with his Fastball and just the opposite of that with his slider/off speed stuff. Not sure if that's something that can be picked up on quickly enough to make a difference (a la, Darvish in the 2017 WS). But to this HIGHLY untrained eye...I noticed a lack of consistency.

I agree. Some of his pitches were smooth and made me think this guy is 3 weeks from the majors but then I kind a saw what you saw which is mainly inconsistency.I don't know when the video was taken so hopefully he has progressed since then.

• TNTwinsFan likes this

#32 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

He throws like you would expect for a 19yo who missed throwing in competitive ball for two years (last start before TJS June 20, 2015, first start in org ball after TJS June 26th, 2017).Did he telegraph his pitches in the GCL and Appy last year? Yes which speaks to his stuff that hitters likely knew what was coming and still didn't tee him up.But that all can be cleaned up with repetition and more innings and experience under his belt.His short stride, much like Romero, and his max effort delivery much like Romero, is what leans me to believe both are destined for the bullpen in the future.

• TNTwinsFan likes this

#33 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Brusdar Graterol, I hereby dub thee, "Da Bruiser."

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#34 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

He throws like you would expect for a 19yo who missed throwing in competitive ball for two years (last start before TJS June 20, 2015, first start in org ball after TJS June 26th, 2017). Did he telegraph his pitches in the GCL and Appy last year? Yes which speaks to his stuff that hitters likely knew what was coming and still didn't tee him up. But that all can be cleaned up with repetition and more innings and experience under his belt. His short stride, much like Romero, and his max effort delivery much like Romero, is what leans me to believe both are destined for the bullpen in the future.

With the news that we missed on Darvish this sounds a little sad as well since more than likely the only way we’ll ever get an ace is to “home grow” one. Graterol and Romero have the velocity to look like that “ace”, but it feels a little hollow if all they do is end up in our bullpen. We need more “ace” like prospects, not ones who end up in the bullpen. However I will concede I have no idea what the future holds for Graterol or Romero, just hope of them can finally be that ace we have needed for years.

#35 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

He throws like you would expect for a 19yo who missed throwing in competitive ball for two years (last start before TJS June 20, 2015, first start in org ball after TJS June 26th, 2017).Did he telegraph his pitches in the GCL and Appy last year? Yes which speaks to his stuff that hitters likely knew what was coming and still didn't tee him up.But that all can be cleaned up with repetition and more innings and experience under his belt.His short stride, much like Romero, and his max effort delivery much like Romero, is what leans me to believe both are destined for the bullpen in the future.

Some of his pitches did look really smooth and I would like him to get away from max effort if possible even it costs him a couple MPH which it seems he can spare but maybe it won't. I liken it to a golf swing. Max effort might get you the farthest distances but on average it produce much worse shots. Effortless 250 yards is way better than occasional 280.100mph is fun but really shouldn't be his focus.Feels like it is just wasted in the lower levels anyway. He seems to have a bit of a Trevor May build, but more so.

#36 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

Maybe I missed this, but how did the Twins acquire Graterol?

#37 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Maybe I missed this, but how did the Twins acquire Graterol?

The Twins signed him in 2014 as a International Free Agent out of Venezuela for 150K

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, twins daily top prospects