Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Darvish Down To The Studs

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought pro ball players paid taxes based on where they play. Sixteen games in New York, you pay New York taxes on 10% of your salary. Eight games in Los Angeles, you pay California taxes on 5% of your salary.

Is that not how it works?

Depends on the state to be honest. Some states have reciprocity agreements with other states (Wisconsin and Illinois are good examples). Some have clauses specifically written to tax professional athletes.

#82 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

I have been pouring over my Baseball Prospectus and trying to see justification for overpaying Darvish and I cannot.I do not find it in the stats or comments on Darvish - found in the Los Angeles Dodgers section, or in the Percota projections at the end where I look to find him in the leader boards.Yes he is there in a couple, but his rankings do not give me confidence that he is a true ace - I see him as a B+ pitcher, which is still good, but his projections are going down and a large multi-year contract certainly is not supported in this book which I just received yesterday.

• Jerr likes this

#83 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

The tax on players is normally related to “duty” days. This article regarding a lawsuit against the city of Cleveland gives an overview.

https://www.google.c...-story,amp.html
  • Sconnie likes this

#84 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

The situation kinds of reminds of a joke that I have heard many tell over my lifetime. I'm sure most of you have heard it... it goes like this: 

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter. 

Substitute "Rowboat", "Motorboat" and "Helicopter" with: 

"Young Productive Core", "Weak AL Central", "Competitive Luxury Tax", "Rebuilding teams all over the landscape", "Manageable Budget Space", "Future Expiring Contracts" and " An Early Injury to Santana" 

And it is easy to see that the Baseball Gods want Darvish in Minnesota!!!:)

Apparently we passed on the rowboat, motorboat and helicopter and will be waiting for a couple of the young guys to become Cy Young candidates.