Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Darvish Down To The Studs

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Someone needs to take Yu ice fishing. Maybe he will catch a walleye.

Then he would realize that  Minnesota has way more to offer than LA, which has a boring 70 degree climate in winter, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, Hollywood, Laguna, Malibu, Knotts Berry Farm and all those boring warm weather golf courses. 

• USAFChief, Jerr, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,088 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

Then he would realize that  Minnesota has way more to offer than LA, which has a boring 70 degree climate in winter, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, Hollywood, Laguna, Malibu, Knotts Berry Farm and all those boring warm weather golf courses. 

Yeah

The Snowmobiling sucks in Southern California!!!

• Carole Keller, Jerr, laloesch and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#43 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

He and others have been saying that throughout the offseason, and have done so not just about Darvish, but FA's willingness to come to Minnesota in general, due to the weather, the market, and other negative platitudes. It sounds like speculation, rather than source-work (i.e. "reason to believe" rather than "insider/person-familiar suggests").

I'm with you, those characterizations get old. I always find it funny that weather seems to be such an impediment to the Twins drawing interest but the Tigers and Cubs have had no problem luring top players recently. It's almost as if players will go wherever the $$ is. Crazy right?

• Twins33, PseudoSABR and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#44 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

I’m not sure I agree with the almost presumed assesment that “this is the time”. Still an awful lot of uncertainty on the roster IMO. Which Byron Buxton will show up this year? Will Kepler hit LHP? Is Rosario really what he was last year? Will Sano stay healthy? Will he be suspended for a large chunk of time? Will Berrios remain consistent? What about after him? Not much there, even with a Darvish. A two man rotation might get it done in the playoffs, but you have to get there first. Even with Darvish, the opening day # 3 had a 5 plus ERA the last two years. Still bullpen questions. Plenty of new faces. How will it all shake out? Awful lot of pressure on Hildenberger and Rogers, two still extremely green relievers.

Say the Twins get Darvish but it turns out Sano is on the DL more than he plays the next 5 years, Kepler never hits LHP, Rosario and Buxton slide back. Now you have a great ace on an otherwise lousy team. Still a lot of unknowns I think to say “this year is our shot”.
  • laloesch likes this

#45 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

I'm not sure why he'd live in MN in the off season......an MLB player is only in town for 3-4 months, max. There really is no reason to live there, if you don't want to.

I don't think we know what he wants, but if I had to guess, MN and Mil are not the top of the list.

Opening day is March 29.3-4 months would mean their season was over in June or July, not October.

• caninatl04 likes this

#46 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Opening day is March 29.3-4 months would mean their season was over in June or July, not October.

I think they are thinking time actually spent in MN. They are on the road the rest of the time.

#47 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

All that, and in MN he could zip line across the Mississipi! Let's see him try that in LA across the Pacific!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#48 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

I wonder if he's gotten an offer from a Japanese organization and is just going to say CYA!

#49 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

I think they'd probably be fine putting Ervin on the 60 day DL.
12 weeks puts him roughly a week into May, at which point he'd need a lengthy rehab assignment.
At worst, he probably misses one more start than he would have needed to.

#50 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

I’m not sure I agree with the almost presumed assesment that “this is the time”. Still an awful lot of uncertainty on the roster IMO. Which Byron Buxton will show up this year? Will Kepler hit LHP? Is Rosario really what he was last year? Will Sano stay healthy? Will he be suspended for a large chunk of time? Will Berrios remain consistent? What about after him? Not much there, even with a Darvish. A two man rotation might get it done in the playoffs, but you have to get there first. Even with Darvish, the opening day # 3 had a 5 plus ERA the last two years. Still bullpen questions. Plenty of new faces. How will it all shake out? Awful lot of pressure on Hildenberger and Rogers, two still extremely green relievers.

Say the Twins get Darvish but it turns out Sano is on the DL more than he plays the next 5 years, Kepler never hits LHP, Rosario and Buxton slide back. Now you have a great ace on an otherwise lousy team. Still a lot of unknowns I think to say “this year is our shot”.

If not now, then when?If everything shakes out poorly, the alternative is what, another full rebuild? Wait for Royce Lewis and others to get ready and then make FA moves?There's risk inherent no matter when the Twins decide to go for it.

• Twins33, DaveW and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#51 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Given the lack of SP FA signings, are we seeing implicit or explicit collusion?

#52 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Looks like the lesser free agent dominoes are starting to fall.How many signing today? 3 or 4 out of 100?Just a trickle now.

Edited by laloesch, 09 February 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#53 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

All that, and in MN he could zip line across the Mississipi! Let's see him try that in LA across the Pacific!

Really? There's a zip line across the Mississippi? Seems foolish for something you can just walk across in about 10 steps knee-deep.

LakeIt78.jpg

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Jerr and 1 other like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#54 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Derek Holland was signed to a minor league deal per MLBTR. That’s a steal imho.

#55 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Then we are better equipped to handle those failures because we have a legitimate ace.

If they all sucks, we'll have to start the rebuild again anyway (which will take a minimum of two years to decide) and the sixth year won't make a bit of difference during the rebuild.

#56 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Given the lack of SP FA signings, are we seeing implicit or explicit collusion?

Implicit without a doubt.

Enjoy baseball while you can, there will be some nasty labor disputes in a couple years.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#57 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

I would tend to venture that Darvish's 6th year could not be as bad as Hughes' third, fourth, fifth, or sixth (2016,17,18,19.)

They can drop down the AAV by 10% and add that 6th year. That would add a total of 50% of the original AAV to the total contract, so it would be like paying for 8% more than the original offer

Edited by Thrylos, 09 February 2018 - 05:05 PM.

• DaveW and notoriousgod71 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#58 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

I would tend to venture that Darvish's 6th year could not be as bad as Hughes' third, fourth, fifth, or sixth (2016,17,18,19.)

They can drop down the AAV by 10% and add that 6th year. That would add a total of 50% of the original AAV to the total contract, so it would be like paying for 8% more than the original offer

No kidding. 

The Twins hand out extra years to #4/#5 type pitchers like candy seemingly, yet when it comes to an ace they get stingy?

Also with a 6th year you can pay him 'less' IMO those first 5 years as well.

Let's say YU is looking for $25 mil a year for 5 years, but would settle for $22 mil a year for 6 years.

6/132 seems like a fair deal for all sides.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#59 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

I get all of those arguments and I was on this side until the past couple of weeks.

The Twins just simply don't get a lot of good opportunities to get this type of a pitcher. I'd rather see them get him in a year where they are still developing than wait a year or two when the market is flooded with more teams competing for this type of a pitcher. Next year and after, the big spenders will be back and instead of getting a good pitcher at fair value they'd have to outbid maybe the Dodgers, the Yankees, the Cubs, the Red Sox, etc. and other mystery teams (Braves, Padres, etc.) that are starting to take off with cheap players and willing to spend.

#60 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

If you wait for the 'perfect time' to go all in, it likely will never come.

At least go for it and give your fans some hope, because as the team is constructed today we have zero shot in the playoffs.

• Jerr, Twins33, notoriousgod71 and 3 others like this