Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Darvish Down To The Studs

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

I honestly think that Minnesota is Darvish's 2nd choice at best.  Behind LA and maybe even Chicago and Texas.  I just don't get the inclination that he wants to be in Minnesota.  Which is fine.    Unless the real sticking point is he's holding out for the 6th year, which is his right.  Maybe the Twins can make the 6th year a vesting/player/team option.

What I'm really saying is I just want him to sign somewhere, anywhere.  Preferably with the Twins.  Just to get the logjam of free agents rolling.

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#22 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Honestly, I'd just give Darvish the 6th year and get it over with. I get the hesitance, but this is a unique opportunity that won't present itself anytime soon.

I view a potential 6th year as an opportunity cost to procure a starting pitcher who is every bit as good, if not better, than anyone we now have not named Ervin Santana. If a 6th year is what it eventually takes to get a signature, then I say we should go for it.

Of course, that with the understanding that the Darvish link to the Twins wasn't just a negotiating ploy used by his agent.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#23 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

I view a potential 6th year as an opportunity cost to procure a starting pitcher who is every bit as good, if not better, than anyone we now have not named Ervin Santana. If a 6th year is what it eventually takes to get a signature, then I say we should go for it.

Of course, that with the understanding that the Darvish link to the Twins wasn't just a negotiating ploy used by his agent.

Should have added Berrios to the list, too.

#24 RegularJoe62

RegularJoe62

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

I agree that signing Darvish now is a good fit for the Twins. Give him what it takes to close the deal, be it more money for five years, a sixth year, or some kind of player/team option package. 
I also want everyone else who thinks signing Darvish is a good idea to agree not to whine about how his contract is a boat anchor on the team three years from now when his production declines, the way everyone has with Mauer. 

• diehardtwinsfan and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#25 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Darvish throws 6 different pitches. As long as he is not injured he will be atleast a serviceable pitcher the 5th and 6th year of his contract. Just add the 6th year and get insurance on the contract...
  • bdodge22 and olivia11 like this

#26 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

"Jon Heyman in MLB trade rumors has stated that there’s “reason to believe” that neither the Brewers or the Twins are a top choice for Darvish, though, so either team could perhaps need to be more aggressive in order to land him."

I view this type of info as posturing and leveraging. All things being equal Darvish would like LA or Texas but Minnesota can offer a nice place, good for family, winning environment. He may prefer a place with a larger Japenese population or more media, but as a married with Children man, Minnesota isnt a horrible destination either. He probably views Minnesota as a 6 or 7 on the 10 point scale. LA and Texas as 9s.
  • Sconnie likes this

#27 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Darvish throws 6 different pitches. As long as he is not injured he will be atleast a serviceable pitcher the 5th and 6th year of his contract. Just add the 6th year and get insurance on the contract...

Insurance doesn't do anything if a guy is healthy but just plain stinks. And I believe it typically only pays out a negotiated percentage of the salary, not the whole thing. But yeah, at this point I don't think a 6th year should be the big sticking point as long if the AAV comes down a little bit with it. He's talented enough to be effective even if he's overpaid in those last years.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

I'm not sure why he'd live in MN in the off season......an MLB player is only in town for 3-4 months, max. There really is no reason to live there, if you don't want to.

I don't think we know what he wants, but if I had to guess, MN and Mil are not the top of the list.

• Twins33 and Sconnie like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#29 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Side note Ca state income tax is 13.3 percent with the crazy liberals trying to push it to 15, compared to Minnesotas 10. So that is not the main factor either. Were down to weather, japenese population and media spotlight and money. Which of those do you think is most important?

Crazy thought, if we include Kepler in a trade for Archer would signing Ichiro as a backup help move the needle?

#30 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Jon Heyman in MLB trade rumors has stated that there’s “reason to believe” that neither the Brewers or the Twins are a top choice for Darvish, though, so either team could perhaps need to be more aggressive in order to land him.

He and others have been saying that throughout the offseason, and have done so not just about Darvish, but FA's willingness to come to Minnesota in general, due to the weather, the market, and other negative platitudes. It sounds like speculation, rather than source-work (i.e. "reason to believe" rather than "insider/person-familiar suggests").

Edited by PseudoSABR, 09 February 2018 - 11:14 AM.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#31 pogofan

pogofan

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

I read an article from a NY writer suggesting the Yankees make Darvish a 6 year offer of 30 mil for first 2 years, 20 mil for years 3 and 4 and 10 mil for years 5 and 6. With opt outs after years 2 and 4. Seems like a good deal for both sides and still puts him at the $120 mil 6 year deal that's been talked about by many.

I was thinking along similar lines: where is it written that the salary has to rise each year during a contract?

#32 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,813 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

There is an old Cajun tale about a coon hunter stuck in a tree at night with a bobcat. He yells at his partner "Shoot shoot!" The partner is afraid he will hit the guy by mistake. The treed hunter says "just shoot, I don't care which one of us you hit!" And that's the Twins, just do something. That said, I can see going for a Darvish in this time frame. But don't get fooled into thinking they are going to play with the Big Boys. That's a fools errand. IF the new FO is flexible and imaginative they can compete with regularity by moving assets around. Something the old FO did not. They got hung up on sacred cows and waddled in limbo for years.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#33 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,786 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

"Jon Heyman in MLB trade rumors has stated that there’s “reason to believe” that neither the Brewers or the Twins are a top choice for Darvish, though, so either team could perhaps need to be more aggressive in order to land him."

I view this type of info as posturing and leveraging.

I have no idea what Darvish does or does not value in a future team, but it seems like many of the top end free agents are waiting for a bidding war that isn't happening. I absolutely agree with your assumption of posturing. I believe that he's trying to get MIN or MIL to compete with each other or with a team that isn't really in it to drive the price up.  

I gotta think Money and World Series Contention are the 1 and 2 criterion and then there's the whole litany of other stuff like fit, culture, community that we can't really put a metric to.

#34 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,786 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm not sure why he'd live in MN in the off season......an MLB player is only in town for 3-4 months, max. There really is no reason to live there, if you don't want to.

I don't think we know what he wants, but if I had to guess, MN and Mil are not the top of the list.

Mauer lives in FL most of the year, why wouldn't the whole team?

• Jerr and Vanimal46 like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

I believe this is no longer true, since he had kids -- Mauer makes his permanent home in Minnesota.

• Sconnie likes this

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure what the point is of this post is....my point about Darvish, who is not from MN and probably wants to live where there are more Japanese (though we don't know that) and/or more diversity than you can find in MN.....is that MLB players don't actually spend that much time in their home cities. And, almost all the school year is not the MLB season. 

• Sconnie likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,788 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

Insurance on player contracts is getting rarer, is extremely costly (especially for pitchers), and almost never runs longer than 3 yrs at a time.

Here's one article on contract insurance, you can find more easily: 

https://metsmerizedo...contracts.html/

• Jerr, Oldgoat_MN, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 Bill Tanner

Bill Tanner

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

My prediction - when pitchers and catchers report on Tuesday, Pineda is moved to the 60-day DL.  Twins will use the 40-man roster spot for Napoli.  Unfortunately, they cannot do the same for Santana, because they would lose him through May (60 days from start of regular season).  Signing Darvish likely means Kinley is offered back to Miami.

#39 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

My prediction - when pitchers and catchers report on Tuesday, Pineda is moved to the 60-day DL.  Twins will use the 40-man roster spot for Napoli.  Unfortunately, they cannot do the same for Santana, because they would lose him through May (60 days from start of regular season).  Signing Darvish likely means Kinley is offered back to Miami.

Do the 60 days not start counting down until after opening day?

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

Do the 60 days not start counting down until after opening day?

Correct. Even though you can add a guy to the 60-day DL in spring training, those spring training days don't count toward the 60.