Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Royce Lewis vs. 2017 Draftees Update Club

battle royale whos the best pick hot taeks from the draft
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

The 2017 MLB Draft was a hot-button topic on this site last year. We all had our favorites, and most of us were indifferent on the Lewis pick at the time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to keep tabs on the core 5 players being discussed at #1 overall. Now that it's PROSPECT TIME! throughout the industry, what better time than now to find out where these players rank! 

First, let's go back and read Twins Daily contributors pre-draft articles about Royce Lewis, Brendan McKay, Hunter Greene, Mackenzie Gore, and Kyle Wright. And our community's instant reaction upon the news of Lewis being drafted

Now that we've seen these guys play a few games... And it's the offseason, let's find out where they rank around the internet!

Lewis:Fangraphs: 38 BA: 24 MLB.com: 20 BP: 27 Average Rank: 27.25

McKay:Fangraphs: 22 BA: 39 MLB.com: 25 BP: 23 Average Rank: 27.25

Greene: Fangraphs: 42 BA: 29 MLB.com: 21 BP: 39 Average Rank: 32

Gore: Fangraphs: 33 BA: 26 MLB.com: 19 BP: 29 Average Rank: 26.75

Wright:Fangraphs: 26 BA: 34 MLB.com: 30 BP: 42 Average Rank: 33

Let's keep this thread updated over the year as this topic is only getting started!

Edited by Vanimal46, 07 February 2018 - 02:23 PM.

• gunnarthor, howieramone2 and SF Twins Fan like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

Let's keep this thread updated over the year as this topic is only getting started!

I assume you mean year as opposed to years because Lewis will be up and raking losing his prospect status by July!

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

I know over at FG, the Kiley likes McKay at first more than as a SP, and Eric L likes McCay better as a pitcher!

If you won't trade star minor league hitters for pitching, and you won't sign expensive FA to long term deals....you have to draft pitchers. Or, you know, just not have pitching. I'd still prefer one of the pitchers.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 07 February 2018 - 02:41 PM.

• jimmer and Vanimal46 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

McKay is going to be fascinating to follow, as the Rays are letting him pitch and play 1B/DH. It sounds like Greene is sticking to pitching and not playing SS this upcoming season?

Edited by Vanimal46, 07 February 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

For whatever it's worth, I wanted Wright but am happy about how the draft itself worked out.

#6 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

I desperately wanted Gore at the time of the draft...and still wouldn't hesitate to swap Lewis for him. But at this point, I wouldn't consider trading Lewis straight-up for any of the other three.

• Vanimal46 and FlauerPauer like this

#7 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

I was in the Gore camp at draft time.  Looking at this in a vacuum, Gore and Lewis are pretty close among national rankings, but the draft is not a vacuum.  With Lewis raking, and Enlow still in the picture as a good prospect, it makes the Lewis pick look even better, since without drafting Lewis, there wouldn't have been money available to lure Enlow away from LSU.

• jimbo92107, Twins33 and Ben Noble like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

I was in the Gore camp at draft time.  Looking at this in a vacuum, Gore and Lewis are pretty close among national rankings, but the draft is not a vacuum.  With Lewis raking, and Enlow still in the picture as a good prospect, it makes the Lewis pick look even better, since without drafting Lewis, there wouldn't have been money available to lure Enlow away from LSU.

We don't know that one way or the other. The Twins could have spent more money, and stayed under any penalties. We also have no idea what Gore would have signed for with the Twins. I think the Twins are getting a lot of credit for a path they only sort of followed....This wasn't millions and millions, that was then spent on a guy that fell 20+ spots.

• gunnarthor and markos like this

#9 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

There's an argument to be made that sticking with position players with the #1 pick is almost always a better strategy overall.

Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen this up in their chat yesterday, pitching prospects that are ranked similarly in national rankings bring back less future value (in terms of WAR) on average.This is basically just because of the high rate of injury for pitchers.

They got a guy with a lot of potential value in Lewis, and with probably a lower level of risk than Greene, Gore, and Wright.And they were able to get some high upside guys with their next few picks. 

If there were a Strasburg in the draft and they picked Lewis over him it would have been a mistake.But given that none of those guys was a Strasburg type, I doubt that this draft will look like that much of a mistake in the future, regardless of how much the other guys succeed.

• Twins33 and markos like this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

There's an argument to be made that sticking with position players with the #1 pick is almost always a better strategy overall.

Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen this up in their chat yesterday, pitching prospects that are ranked similarly in national rankings bring back less future value (in terms of WAR) on average.This is basically just because of the high rate of injury for pitchers.

They got a guy with a lot of potential value in Lewis, and with probably a lower level of risk than Greene, Gore, and Wright.And they were able to get some high upside guys with their next few picks. 

If there were a Strasburg in the draft and they picked Lewis over him it would have been a mistake.But given that none of those guys was a Strasburg type, I doubt that this draft will look like that much of a mistake in the future, regardless of how much the other guys succeed.

Yup, no issue there, as long as your team is willing to sign FA pitchers, or trade for them.....and I'm not arguing Lewis was a bad pick at all....just that at some point, you have to get pitching.

• Twins33, jimmer and FlauerPauer like this

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Hard to tell how things will end up, but after seeing them all talk to the press etc throughout the season, it seems to me that as far as personality, affect, and drive is concerned Royce Lewis is heads and shoulders above the rest of this bunch.YMMV as far as that goes, because it is subjective.

• nicksaviking, markos and milldam like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Hard to tell how things will end up, but after seeing them all talk to the press etc throughout the season, it seems to me that as far as personality, affect, and drive is concerned Royce Lewis is heads and shoulders above the rest of this bunch.YMMV as far as that goes, because it is subjective.

It counts for something in my book, because so far this front office has made it clear that they want outspoken team-leader types. It would be best if the team didn't have to use free agency to get those qualities and it would be great if the players they got to fill those roles were actually standouts on the field as well as off.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#13 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

Yup, no issue there, as long as your team is willing to sign FA pitchers, or trade for them.....and I'm not arguing Lewis was a bad pick at all....just that at some point, you have to get pitching.

Or draft pitchers later in the draft. If you look back over the last 10 or so years, there frankly isn't much difference between the pitchers (particularly HS pitchers) drafted 1-15 as those drafted 30-45. 

#14 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:02 AM

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, so thanks for that. Now, if it turns out to be true...even better!

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.