Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Another move: Walrop up, Carson down

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

bullpen too taxed says Gardy. :banghead: Use the pen differently then!!!

surprises me as I thought Kyle may have been a candidate for a DFA....if not for a Sept callup, then this offseason.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

With Span back, there's no need for Carson.

With that said, where the **** is Anthony Slama? This is getting ridiculous.

#3 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

With that said, where the **** is Anthony Slama? This is getting ridiculous.

That guy's terrible! He can't even get his ERA over 1!

Wait, how does ERA work?

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Get flustered with Gardy having a pitcher getting yanked early & goin 6 innings with 6 pitchers (for ex) & then complaining about his pen bein taxed.
No rule that you cant have your LONG reliever go 4/5 innnings & save the pen & lose 1 guy for 3/4days.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Beg to differ. I'd rather see Carson get some play at the OF with Doumit at C and Willy DH and see Mr Butera's scholarship terminated. Let's see if Carson can be part of the solution for 2013. We all know what Butera cannot do and having a 3rd catcher in this team is a luxury.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Beg to differ. I'd rather see Carson get some play at the OF with Doumit at C and Willy DH and see Mr Butera's scholarship terminated. Let's see if Carson can be part of the solution for 2013. We all know what Butera cannot do and having a 3rd catcher in this team is a luxury.

I agree. I'd rather have a bench bat than a 3rd catcher.

#7 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Let's see if Carson can be part of the solution for 2013.

I think the Twins are smart enough to know the answer to that is no without needing to some much of him in the majors.

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Disagree. Having Butera around to take some starts lessens the risk of Mauer or Doumit suffering a late-season injury behind the plate. I don't really see why the Twins need five outfielders at this point.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Disagree. Having Butera around to take some starts lessens the risk of Mauer or Doumit suffering a late-season injury behind the plate. I don't really see why the Twins need five outfielders at this point.

cant disagree more.....no other team feels need to field 3 catchers
maybe we need a backup 3B so Plouffe doesnt have a late season injury is the same reasoning.....big what if factor

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Let's see if Carson can be part of the solution for 2013.

I think the Twins are smart enough to know the answer to that is no without needing to some much of him in the majors.

Like they knew the answer with Garrett Jones who was let go, while they were trotting the likes of Tolbert on the bench and on the field in competitive teams?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Blasphemy!! 1000 lashes.

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's a week until rosters expand, I could care less if Carson gets 6 additional at-bats or if Waldrop gets three extra innings of work. I'll save my frustrations for the moment we find out who does or does not get a September call up.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't see what the big deal is when Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup every day playing C, 1B, DH, or OF. Butera barely gets any playing time and if his presence makes Gardy feel a little better about running both Joe and Ryan onto the field every night, so be it. Matt Carson swapping places with Drew Butera changes little, if anything.

And at this point, I wouldn't even mind seeing the Son of Sal get more time behind the dish. No point in wearing out two of your better hitters in a lost season.

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Carson was gonna make $3086 per game upon his recall for the final 45gms (approx 139K).
Because Scot Diamond doesnt know how to properly hit a batter in the rear, he's back in minors after making $21,602 in 7gms w/o a guarrantee he'll be recalled in Sept (could get hurt/DFAd for Walter/Hicks/Vazquez etc). Even if he is after ROC season, it cost him 11 MLB gms (34K in pay).
Wonder if he's upset w/Scot ????

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't see what the big deal is when Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup every day playing C, 1B, DH, or OF. Butera barely gets any playing time and if his presence makes Gardy feel a little better about running both Joe and Ryan onto the field every night, so be it. Matt Carson swapping places with Drew Butera changes little, if anything.

And at this point, I wouldn't even mind seeing the Son of Sal get more time behind the dish. No point in wearing out two of your better hitters in a lost season.

This is why Chris Hermann should be the 3rd C next yr instead of Drew but he wont. At least with Hermann, you get a legit hitter who can ALSO play multiple positions & PH & generally be usefull on a roster rather than only insurance.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

This is why Chris Hermann should be the 3rd C next yr instead of Drew but he wont. At least with Hermann, you get a legit hitter who can ALSO play multiple positions & PH & generally be usefull on a roster rather than only insurance.

And I have zero problems with that. I'd like to see Butera off the roster (just like everybody else) but I don't see it as a pressing concern at this point.

#17 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

And I have zero problems with that. I'd like to see Butera off the roster (just like everybody else) but I don't see it as a pressing concern at this point.

At this point, absolutely no. Just changing the overall thinking of the organiztion regarding this issue is needed tho.

#18 TD Mac

TD Mac

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Drew Butera is the most maligned backup catcher ever!!

Twins fans loved Chunky LeCroy, who was listed a s a catcher, but couldn't catch, yet hate Butera who is apparently beloved by all who throw to him. Mauer's injury, which forced us to use Butera WAAAAAY more often than he should've been in 2011 certainly exposed him as someone who'll never be a #1 catcher (at least as much as someone can be exposed who was never thought of as being such), but he is what he is, a dependable backup catcher who works well with the staff, throws out runners at a good clip and allows the Twins to not only keep Mauer from overworking his delicate body behind the plate (and thus keeping his .320 in the lineup), but also allows the incredibly versatile Doumit to be...well, versatile!

I don't get it.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Twins fans loved Chunky LeCroy, who was listed a s a catcher, but couldn't catch, yet hate Butera who is apparently beloved by all who throw to him. Mauer's injury, which forced us to use Butera WAAAAAY more often than he should've been in 2011 certainly exposed him as someone who'll never be a #1 catcher (at least as much as someone can be exposed who was never thought of as being such), but he is what he is, a dependable backup catcher who works well with the staff, throws out runners at a good clip and allows the Twins to not only keep Mauer from overworking his delicate body behind the plate (and thus keeping his .320 in the lineup), but also allows the incredibly versatile Doumit to be...well, versatile!

I don't get it.

I find it mildly amusing that someone reported this post. I assume it's because the post was pro-Butera.

Please don't do that, guys... Even if it does make me laugh.

#20 ofx1

ofx1

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

I don't get it.

I can hit as well as Butera. Think about that.

#21 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

So a last place team has the luxury of carrying a 3rd catcher? I will not waste my time looking but I know someone here will for everyone, how many playoff potential teams are carrying 3 catchers all season?

Also, are there any other teams that have so many players like Span that should have been DL'ed wasting a spot on the bench along side a 3rd catcher? Time to blow up this entire front office and coaches and start fresh...

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

So a last place team has the luxury of carrying a 3rd catcher? I will not waste my time looking but I know someone here will for everyone, how many playoff potential teams are carrying 3 catchers all season?

Also, are there any other teams that have so many players like Span that should have been DL'ed wasting a spot on the bench along side a 3rd catcher? Time to blow up this entire front office and coaches and start fresh...

Most teams don't have two catchers that OPS over .800 and also play 1B, OF, and DH. While I'm not dead-set on the Twins carrying a third catcher, it does make sense for the team to do so. You may not agree with the decision but it's not indefensible.

Why should Span have been DLed? Because the team needed the roster spot? For who? They called up Matt Carson, for crying out loud. Now Span is back in the lineup and had a good game last night. If they had DLed him, he'd still be unavailable for 4-5 days. There are plenty of reasons to bitch at the medical staff but I don't see the point in cases such as this one. Reserve your vitriol for the Pavanos, Bakers, or countless other situations where injuries carried on for far too long.

#23 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

I wasn't clear. I would rather have a bench bat than a 3rd catcher NEXT YEAR, which means I want to see if Carson can be that bench bat. That's why I'd like to keep him up.

As for this year, I think Mauer and Doumit catching 50% of the games is plenty of rest. Cutting it down to 40% each with 20% going to Butera doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

I wasn't clear. I would rather have a bench bat than a 3rd catcher NEXT YEAR, which means I want to see if Carson can be that bench bat. That's why I'd like to keep him up.

As for this year, I think Mauer and Doumit catching 50% of the games is plenty of rest. Cutting it down to 40% each with 20% going to Butera doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me.

After a healthy year of Mauer in 2012, I'd really like to see him behind the plate more next season. Not a ton more but if he can catch 100 games, I think the team needs to do it. He's better behind the dish than Doumit and Ryan can DH more.

#25 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

[quote name='John Bonnes'][quote name='Nick Nelson'][quote name='John Bonnes']
I agree. I'd rather have a bench bat than a 3rd catcher.[/QUOTE]
Disagree. Having Butera around to take some starts lessens the risk of Mauer or Doumit suffering a late-season injury behind the plate. I don't really see why the Twins need five outfielders at this point.[/QUOTE]

As for this year, I think Mauer and Doumit catching 50% of the games is plenty of rest. Cutting it down to 40% each with 20% going to Butera doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me.[/QUOTE]
20% of starts is 32 gms. If Drew is starting, either Mauer/Doumit/Morneau or Willingham is sitting. What good does that do??
You'ld really be fine with Mauer/Doumit catching 65gms each (40%)????
Joe used to be a Gold Glove catcher (know the award is bogus...but) & you absolutely weaken the team when he's not catching (40% would be 95gms) , & either of the other 2 are.
Many people say you play Butera for his defense, but then you're just taking out a better defensive C (many's opinion) to get him in....immediate deficit before the offensive drop also
Ill NEVER hear an arguement of why Drew should be on team and buy it tho