Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Top 20 Prospect Countdown: 16-20

ben rortvedt travis blankenhorn felix jorge yunior severino tyler jay
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Umm, Felix Jorge K's are wrong for 2017. He had 108, not 158. Very very big difference. If he had a 158 he'd probably be a top 5 Twins prospect.

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

IMO it's easy to see what some see in Rortverdt...he's an extremely athletic catcher, with very high defensive upside, and a chance to hit half-way decently.The key words in all that being the word 'catcher' and 'defensive'.And, while I'm not much of a "he was young for his level" guy when it comes to prospects we are speculating might have actual value in the majors some day....he was REALLY young/inexperienced for his level last year.

I also think he will at least start in CR, with the hope that he will settle in early and earn a promotion relatively early during the season.

• nater79a likes this

#23 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

And Butera is still providing value for this team, in a way:
Butera -> Sulbaran -> Nunez -> Mejia

Good point. Also a great example of how a strategy of trading from MLB surplus for high-value prospects can pay off.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Tyler Jay dropped a long way in a year. I understand there is a injury but, is it that devastating or are there other fellas balling out?

Answering for myself... I think he can be a terrific late-inning reliever... Which means he'll work 50-60 innings a year. A starter will hopefully go 150-200 innings. So, that's why I tend to rank relievers significantly lower. A year ago at this time, he was still a starter...

#25 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Nice start to the list. I think Jay is probably closer to 10 than 20 but there's probably not a lot of difference between 12 and 19 on this years list. It's a deep system. Rortvedt is a sleeper. I like him a lot. He's not the next Joe Mauer but I think he can be a solid ML starting catcher, which is hard to find.

I forgot about Sevirino but he could be fun to watch develop. The scouting reports on him were mixed but if the Twins can fix the concern some have in his swing maybe he can become a poor man's Willie Calhoun? I'm blah on Jorge. He'll probably get some time in the majors this year but I think he's a AAAA type. Hope I'm wrong. This is a big year for Blankenhorn. He'll be 22. Time to see him put up better numbers. 

Agree with your takes on Rortvedt and Jorge.

Rortvedt will be just fine.Already a stud receiver and a leader.The offense will take awhile transitioning from Wisconsin HS ball to the pros.Like him much better than Banuelos or Navarreto.

With Jorge, yeah...hard to see him cracking a playoff caliber rotation on a regular basis.Probably a guy that gets called up occasionally for a spot start or a 26th man for a double-header.

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,739 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

If Jorge has the stuff to pitch in late innings, I'd move him to RP......interestingly, on FG today, the prospect guys said that MLB teams are valuing late inning RPs more than number 4/5AAAA types.....

• Seth Stohs likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

If Jorge has the stuff to pitch in late innings, I'd move him to RP......interestingly, on FG today, the prospect guys said that MLB teams are valuing late inning RPs more than number 4/5AAAA types.....

That's interesting. I wonder if they are looking at "late inning RP" more as (if we're talking prospects) guys like Burdi or maybe Jay (when healthy) rather than just an arm. Even if Jorge was moved the pen, I suspect he'd be seen as a longman/swingman type and not a closer or elite arm. I think the idea that any starting pitcher can become a relief pitcher is probably overstated a bit even though a bunch of failed starters have become good relievers, not every failed starter can become a reliever.  

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,739 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

That's interesting. I wonder if they are looking at "late inning RP" more as (if we're talking prospects) guys like Burdi or maybe Jay (when healthy) rather than just an arm. Even if Jorge was moved the pen, I suspect he'd be seen as a longman/swingman type and not a closer or elite arm. I think the idea that any starting pitcher can become a relief pitcher is probably overstated a bit even though a bunch of failed starters have become good relievers, not every failed starter can become a reliever.  

Oh, i agree, it was more a "if they think he's really got a shot there" comment.....I have no idea if he does or not.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Oh, i agree, it was more a "if they think he's really got a shot there" comment.....I have no idea if he does or not.

Yeah...I don't think they're saying that clubs are going to simply start taking their 4th and 5th best starters and automatically plug them into the late-inning role.Instead, I took the comment to mean that clubs are starting to feel or starting to find that the ability to command one great pitch is more rare than the ability to command 2-3 average pitches.At the same time, 4th and 5th guys get skipped so much, don't have a post-season role, etc., etc.I'm oversimplifying, but this is how I interpret the FG comment.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,739 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Yeah...I don't think they're saying that clubs are going to simply start taking their 4th and 5th best starters and automatically plug them into the late-inning role.Instead, I took the comment to mean that clubs are starting to feel or starting to find that the ability to command one great pitch is more rare than the ability to command 2-3 average pitches.At the same time, 4th and 5th guys get skipped so much, don't have a post-season role, etc., etc.I'm oversimplifying, but this is how I interpret the FG comment.

Ya, I never implied otherwise...

#31 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

I'm much higher on Jay.I'm also, one that values guys from AA up as opposed to guys with high ceilings in rookie ball.  

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

Think they will move Severino to the outfield?That infield at CR is already stacked. 

Toby is going to have to get creative. 

He's an extremely good 2B, but he needs time at Elizabethton. I think he was an even better get than Maitan. If I had to rank them coming from the Braves, I'd have had Yefri Del Rosario #1 and Severino #2. Maitan and Livan Soto would have been very close for #3, and then there was a big gap to the next player.

• birdwatcher likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#33 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Hate to see Tyler Jay dropping like that, injury and all.Drafted to be a starter, they really need him to at least be a good reliever.Really never understood the gamble with I believe was the 6th overall pick, hoping he could develop into a starter when he'd never done it.  

He was a starter in high school and his freshman year in college. Every thing I read about him going into the draft was, teams were going to look at him as a starter. A lefty throwing 96-98, with what was once called the best slider in the organization, and several times I've read he has a 4 pitch mix. It was a no-brainer to draft him and also to see if he could transition to a starter.His last year in college he pitched 70 innings, so they knew going in it was a 2 and probably a 3 year project to get him up a starter innings. Injuries are part of the game, and no one knew his first 3 years he would pitch only about 100 innings. 

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#34 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Hate to see Tyler Jay dropping like that, injury and all.Drafted to be a starter, they really need him to at least be a good reliever.Really never understood the gamble with I believe was the 6th overall pick, hoping he could develop into a starter when he'd never done it.  

Draft experts viewed the pick positively, so describing it as a risky pick is an inaccurate narrative. I believe that had the Twins gone with an every day player instead of a pitcher with that pick, a majority of us would have been critical, although lots of people now vividly recall how adamant they were about picking Benintendi. As with all drafts, you wish you'd have picked someone else in retrospect, but for now, the jury is still out. It wasn't a bad pick even if in the end there are 10 prospects from that draft that deliver better results. One of the pitchers from that draft that might deliver the best results was passed over twice by a third of the teams, #42 selection Tristan McKenzie. He might be another Berrios.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,739 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

Draft experts viewed the pick positively, so describing it as a risky pick is an inaccurate narrative. I believe that had the Twins gone with an every day player instead of a pitcher with that pick, a majority of us would have been critical, although lots of people now vividly recall how adamant they were about picking Benintendi. As with all drafts, you wish you'd have picked someone else in retrospect, but for now, the jury is still out. It wasn't a bad pick even if in the end there are 10 prospects from that draft that deliver better results. One of the pitchers from that draft that might deliver the best results was passed over twice by a third of the teams, #42 selection Tristan McKenzie. He might be another Berrios.

It can be viewed positively, and risky, at the same time. I would argue this one was exactly that. A gamble, but probably the right one at the time.

#36 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,362 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

One of the pitchers from that draft that might deliver the best results was passed over twice by a third of the teams, #42 selection Tristan McKenzie. He might be another Berrios.

Indians, eh? We should go examine their front office and raid them of a few up-and-coming bright lights. :)

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ben rortvedt, travis blankenhorn, felix jorge, yunior severino, tyler jay