Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Free Agent Starters By The Numbers Part II: WAR and Projections

jaime garcia alex cobb lance lynn jake arrieta yu darvish
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,746 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Maybe a better way to say this would be: Where else could we make a better return on our investment?

Assuming winning matters at all. If it doesn't, then of course they should pocket the money.
  • twinssporto likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#22 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

Assuming winning matters at all. If it doesn't, then of course they should pocket the money.

This is slightly off topic to this post, but Mike's post reminded me of the "winning matters" concept that has always puzzled me. Just how much does winning matter? Or more specifically, how much extra money will a team earn if it makes it to the playoffs, or all the way to winning the World Series? Is there a "ballpark" figure for winning a title? Of course there is the prestige and historic value of winning a pennant, but how much extra revenue does making the playoffs mean for the club? And how much extra money do the individual players themselves get?

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

This is slightly off topic to this post, but Mike's post reminded me of the "winning matters" concept that has always puzzled me. Just how much does winning matter? Or more specifically, how much extra money will a team earn if it makes it to the playoffs, or all the way to winning the World Series? Is there a "ballpark" figure for winning a title? Of course there is the prestige and historic value of winning a pennant, but how much extra revenue does making the playoffs mean for the club? And how much extra money do the individual players themselves get?

This source says the Astros players' share of post-season money is $30.4M (divided up as they see fit, of course). It goes on to state that they derive from 60% of this and 60% of that, so I infer that the team gets something like a 40% share of the total, or about 2/3 of the players' share - i.e. about $20M. The article is full of good nuggets.

I'm embarrassed to say that my other source, once again, is the Out Of The Park baseball game, and it seems to concur, giving the WS winner about $20M. Losing the one-game Wild Card seems to net a team about $1M, so it lines up at the low end too. OOTP is a bit eccentric about how closely it follows any given MLB rule; using it as a research source is perhaps a bit like using an Ernest Hemingway novel for a question about proper fishing technique - the basics might be close but there could be artistic license. :)

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

Not to mention the long term profitability that being viewed as a champion gives a team.
There is a reason why the Yankees bring in vastly more revenue than the Mets. They have a championship pedigree. Everywhere in the world you see Yankees garb, you won't find many people outside of Queens wearing Mets gear.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

I'd say a championship (or even just playoffs) are also big for marketing and visibility, giving a team more leverage in local media contracts too.

#26 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Two extra wins probably doesn't put the Twins in the playoffs so why spend money for nothing? It makes no sense to me.

Look, the two wins is just a projection, meaning a guess. I suspect Yu brings us closer to 7 -8 wins above last year. Think of comparing his W-L to our current squad..and potential 4-5 starters. That is what we'd be gaining, a #1 slotting in ahead of Erv and way better than our 4-5 starters

#27 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Or to use old stats Darvish could go 18-8 and whoever would get rolled out as a fifth starter would likely go something like 7-12. In other words the Twins win 11 more games

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jaime garcia, alex cobb, lance lynn, jake arrieta, yu darvish