Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MLB Shift Driving Market Realities

major league baseball yu darvish jake arrieta jd martinez eric hosmer
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,406 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

and yet fox just increased payments to the NFL by nearly 20% per year for 1 game a week......no bubble bursting in site just yet.

I see the NFL challenges as political (player health, perceptions of player conduct, etc.), I see MLB's as more fundamental to their economic structure.

But your point is well taken.I worry too much.The national debt has bothered me for about a quarter century now...and the current yield on a 10-year treasury bond is 3%. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#82 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,265 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

I see the NFL challenges as political (player health, perceptions of player conduct, etc.), I see MLB's as more fundamental to their economic structure.

But your point is well taken.I worry too much.The national debt has bothered me for about a quarter century now...and the current yield on a 10-year treasury bond is 3%. 

sports have been part of the entertainment world for thousands of years. Sure, baseball will eventually die off, but it will be replaced with something. Probably rollerball....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#83 Jham

Jham

• 2,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

But your point is well taken. I worry too much. The national debt has bothered me for about a quarter century now...and the current yield on a 10-year treasury bond is 3%.

National debt is roughly equivalent to the yearly Gross National Product. Jham's debt is roughly equivalent to 3-4x his gross annual income.

Go to law school and buy a house they said. It'll be fun they said.

My mortgage lender has assured me I'm carrying a healthy level of debt given the interest rates. So I'm going to say the US debt isn't the biggest economic issue we're facing. It's all relative. Which is the point of this discussion.

I still favor early arbitration. Get rid of the incentive to tank and save money. Small teams can still compete as top salaries should come down (as we're seeing already).
  • Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this

#84 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

Darvish wants to go to LA or NY.LA and NY don't want to spend over the luxury threshold because of the luxury tax.There's your slow pitching market.If they stay under it this year and then go over it next year when guys like Harper and Kershaw are available, I believe tax is lower.  

Darvish will be the first pitching domino to fall.To be honest, guys like Cobb, Lynn, etc., are not worth what they'll get or at least what they're trying to get.Being the 2nd best pitcher in a weak FA market doesn't mean you get big money.

For position players, advanced metrics are telling us what any baseball fan with some common sense knew all along...guys who hit 35 HR and drive in 100 runs really aren't helping their team all that much if they can't get on base any other way and are a liability on defense.Those same metrics say guys like JD Martinez are not as valuable as once thought.

Similar situation to pitchers.B/c Moustakas is the best 3B available doesn't mean he should get what Manny Machado will get next year.To me, that kind of sums up this whole freeze on FA.FO are just getting smarter with how they spend.

Last, I have a real hard time having sympathy for players like Hosmer who turn down a 7-year offer for an obscene amount of money (even if we don't know the exact numbers, no matter what the offer is it's an obscene amount of money).I make $45k working my tail off in a profession that actually makes a difference in this world - teaching.These guys are pampered athletes who won't sign for "only" 15million a year or for "only 5 years".Give me a break.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: major league baseball, yu darvish, jake arrieta, jd martinez, eric hosmer