Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Twins sign RHP Leonel Zazueta

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here are the two "Scouting Reports" I could find on the kid. Anyone who is a better Googler than I can add content below

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

The only article I could find on him was in Spanish. I gathered that he is from Mexico, 18 years old and has a 94-96 MPH fastball.

#3 MidwestMeat

MidwestMeat

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

"He pitched two days ago with a high of 95".....um, is he a reliever by trade at this point or are they abusing him a bit?

Edited by MidwestMeat, 24 August 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

regardless, those are good numbers... at 18, he's still going to add a few ticks to that fastball as he ages... So 95 in relief now might be 98 by the time he reaches the bigs... or it might be 94/95 as a starter at that point. Not going to complain.

#5 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hablo espanol. The info seems limited. Like others have mentioned he is 18 and hits the mid to upper 90s. He was playing for school called Academia del Carmen in Monterrey which appears to be a baseball park/academy that is connected to a High School. He drew attention from the Yankees, Boston, Texas, and KC. i read that he will try to play for a team on Sonora called the Naranjeros in the meantime and then report to the Twins next winter where he most likely go the rookie league in FLA. I will reach out to a coworker about Academia del Carmen. With any luck it is Cretin Derhum Hall south campus.

#6 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hablo espanol. The info seems limited. Like others have mentioned he is 18 and hits the mid to upper 90s. He was playing for school called Academia del Carmen in Monterrey which appears to be a baseball park/academy that is connected to a High School. He drew attention from the Yankees, Boston, Texas, and KC. i read that he will try to play for a team on Sonora called the Naranjeros in the meantime and then report to the Twins next winter where he most likely go the rookie league in FLA. I will reach out to a coworker about Academia del Carmen. With any luck it is Cretin Derhum Hall south campus.

Good find! Thanks for the information.

#7 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I would like some info on his frame. I have read people who say JO Berrios has low ceiling because he may not grow much more. I don't know if that is true and I hope it is not but it would be interesting to see how Zazueta is built for comparison.

#8 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

How is he built?

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

You can get more if you search: Leonel Zazueta beisbol

Here is a write-up from February of 2011 when he was just 16, titled "A golden prospect"... (Must just turned 18). My Spanish is getting crusty but here is the basics: Pretty much the biggest prospect in his area. Was linked heavily to the Yankees. Short and Stout for a 16 year old. (5'10"ish and 190ish) His FB was around 92 back then and he though he can do better. His nickname for some reason is "Witch" (which could be the equivalent of "Wizard" in English). He has been an outfielder as well and is pretty good with glove (the Spanish word for a "fielder" is the same as for "gardener". Go figure) He signed into that academy right then. Of course, he is also described as a "Diamond in rough"...

Other tidbit from here and there: Selected at the Mexican National team for 15-16 year olds.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I don't think the Twins had much to spend so he must not have gotten a huge bonus.

#11 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Sonora Naranjeros? What is that, like the "orange pickers" or something?

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

I wonder if the Twins had more international money left in their wallet than the Yankees, or if the Yankees just backed off of the kid for some reason.

#13 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

http://www.solobeisb...a-con-minnesota

I always enjoy google translate - you get the general idea, even if you have to ignore certain eccentricities:

The Sonoran pitcher Leonel Zazueta was signed by the Minnesota Twins organization leaguer.
The right Hermosillo 18 Naranjeros belongs to Hermosillo and Monterrey Sultans LMP summer
He was in the Academy Del Carmen in California where he was visited by scouts from different teams as the Yankees, Texas Boston and Kansas City, but the best was the Twins. The tall and burly pitcher has as main gun with an impressive line ranging between 94 and 96 mph. For now the young will report early with Naranjeros and try to earn a spot in the bullpen. Accrue to Minnesota in February for spring trainning, where surely be sent to the Florida League Roockie.

#14 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

The place where Google failed you was its assumption that Monterrey was CA. That is Monterrey, Mexico in Nuevo Leon. It is a couple hours south of the Texas border and towards the Carribean side.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ding ding ding!

Posted Image
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ding ding ding!

I just looked at some of the other teams. The avocado pickers, the tomato pickers, the shrimp fishermen...

Interesting league.

#17 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

good to see the Twins tapping into almost every market. Mexico has had good prospects as of late.. one thing for sure is the Twins aren't slacking in this department.

#18 killebrew

killebrew

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

http://www.solobeisb...a-con-minnesota

I always enjoy google translate - you get the general idea, even if you have to ignore certain eccentricities:

The Sonoran pitcher Leonel Zazueta ...tall and burly pitcher ...

I wonder if he's grown well past 5'10", or is he just Mexican Tall?

#19 Coach J

Coach J

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

My brother teaches spanish in college and he translated that he has hard, heavy, fastball that sinks/runs. He also has a "lanky" build which is always encouraging when looking at a youngster