Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Robo Umps

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

I lifted this link from another blogger whom I read with regularity. It's a lengthly piece on the concept of the electronic strike zone. I have never been a fan of the idea, mostly for reasons of tradition. But everyone has their own take on the concept. It's a pretty indepth discussion, maybe it will cause some to revisit their own perception of the whole issue. Regardless, to paraphrase what a very wise man said recently, "who would have thought balls and strikes could be so complicated"? :)

https://www.baseball...t-simple-think/

Edited by Platoon, 29 January 2018 - 01:18 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#2 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

I skimmed through that, so maybe I missed some details.But I just wonder how it all gets implemented, while the story was more on the accuracy of the calls.Is there still an umpire behind home plate to call safe/out, fair/foul, checkswings?How about foul tips, is that part of the system or up to an ump?How does the call get broadcast quickly enough for a batter to know to run on a dropped 3rd strike, or a catcher to throw out a runner?

I'd like to see it tried in a minor league game and see how it goes.The players probably wouldn't like it at first.But once they worked out most of the kinks, maybe it would be better?  

#3 RegularJoe62

RegularJoe62

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

No thanks. Like the pitch clock, this just doesn't belong in the game. If we're doing this, why not have robot players too. 

• Sam Morley likes this

#4 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

No thanks. Like the pitch clock, this just doesn't belong in the game. If we're doing this, why not have robot players too. 

Yes please. Like the pitch clock, the time has come to try this out. If we are not doing this why not just let the players call their own balls and strikes. Just kidding.I would like to see it in action before coming to a conclusion.Pitchers taking forever to throw the ball doesn't belong in the game and umpires deciding games with lousy strike zones and lousy application of lousy strike zones doesn't belong either.It was fine when that was the best option.All we hear is that both pitchers and batters just want consistency. As a fan, I would prefer that as well.

• Riverbrian likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

why not have robot players too. 

Because the game is a contest between two teams, and the umpire is not on an equal standing, so there is no connection if a different form of umpiring is chosen.

• nicksaviking, Riverbrian, Dantes929 and 3 others like this

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#6 RegularJoe62

RegularJoe62

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

the umpire is not on an equal standing...

No, not equal to the players, but the human element of umpiring has always been part of the game. 

• Platoon likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

No, not equal to the players, but the human element of umpiring has always been part of the game.

So was segregation, smoking in the dugout and actual monuments in the outfield of Yankee Stadium.

The goal of baseball, just as in the rest of life, should be to always look for ways to improve.
  • ashburyjohn, Riverbrian, VOMG and 1 other like this

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,648 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

If there are bugs... Fix Em and implement tomorrow. 

Will all due respect... I stand firm in my belief that wanting umpires to continue making calls is equal to wanting the grounds crew to leave the really big rocks in the infield because you like the crazy hops. 

• ashburyjohn, nicksaviking, bizaff and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

How about we compromise. We have robots, but the balls/strikes are instantaneously related to the umpire who still gets to make the call.

Now those of us who want a fair and consistent zone get it, and those who don't like aesthetic changes can keep everything looking the same.

And for what it's worth, if they had robots in 1880, they'd have been calling balls and strikes. I think personal traditions are great. Some family traditions are fun too, but with a large community, the essential aspects of an institution should not be reliant on tradition. EVERYONE shouldn't be beholden to and obligated by some quirky gimmick based on some antiquated premise of years past.
  • Dantes929 and bizaff like this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

That may be so, but the game is about the players. Suggesting to automate the players if we automate the umps is a strawman argument.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,648 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

How about we compromise. We have robots, but the balls/strikes are instantaneously related to the umpire who still gets to make the call.

Now those of us who want a fair and consistent zone get it, and those who don't like aesthetic changes can keep everything looking the same.

I'd be OK with this and I'd take a step further.

Don't tell anyone that this is happening. Don't tell the owners, the managers, the players or the fans. 

Just implement quietly and let the umpires roll their eyes when Bryce Harper throws his helmet and has a cow. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#12 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

Robo or not there will have to be a human official behind the plate. Foul ticks, interference, line violations, foul balls grazing the screen, out of play calls. Rotations on the bases. I also think that Robo umps will change how players are viewed. Whether this is a plus or minus depends on ones viewpoint. But, during the 2020 WS, Brian Dozier, in the second year of a $180M deal, takes a 3-2 called third strike with the bases loaded, bottom of 9, Twins down by one run. Robo ump with a 99.7% accuracy rating rules the pitch hit the outside .25 of the plate. Twins color man Bert Blyleven says nary a word about black being part of the plate. While the accuracy of the call will be quite ok, the tenor of the off season would seem to change dramatically. As will how we watch a game. No more shots of a players pained expression after a called third strike as he trudges to the dugout, looking back at the plate ump. For him it's a resigned look, for the viewer at home, instead of a thoughtful self discussion on the validity of that call, it will be a benign yawn while you wait for the endless beer commercials to cease.
  • Respy likes this

#13 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

I think, at least initially, the noticeable effect would be null.There would still be umps behind the plate, and I bet that the umps will still be calling the balls and strikes, the only difference being that the ball/strike information is fed to them via earpiece.Personally, I feel as long as there's still an umpire standing there making the calls, then it doesn't matter to me.Might as well get it right and take away any subtle bias there may be.

#14 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

Baseball got along just fine without me before 1967. And I'm sure it will continue to flourish without me five minutes after this becomes a rule. :)

• Sam Morley and Platoon like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

Baseball got along just fine without me before 1967. And I'm sure it will continue to flourish without me five minutes after this becomes a rule. :)

You'll follow baseball only if balls and strikes are called via guesses by different people each game?

#16 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

• Members
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

You'll follow baseball only if balls and strikes are called via guesses by different people each game?

Correct. It will no longer be baseball. And I have no interest in following broadcast video games.

Edited by Craig Arko, 30 January 2018 - 08:47 AM.

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

We'll miss you. For about a week or two. After that one of two things will happen. Either you'll realize that your decision was in error and you'll be back and be happy or you'll realize that your decision was in error but you'll be too stubborn to admit it publicly and you'll stay away and be miserable.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 30 January 2018 - 09:12 AM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#18 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

• Members
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

We'll miss you. For about a week or two. After that one of two things will happen. Either you'll realize that your decision was in error and you'll be back and be happy or you'll realize that your decision was in error but you'll be too stubborn to admit it publicly and you'll stay away and be miserable.

Or 3), I'll spend my discretionary time reading instead. :)

#19 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Another thought. What will the elimination of calling balls and strikes do to the umpiring profession. Most umpires view the plate assignment as the most coveted spot. I always did. Not only did I not enjoy the base position, I also found the plate easier to handle. You got into a rhythm and on most days it just flowed. While one could argue that for the kind of money MLB umps make, there will be plenty of them, I don't want umpires who do it for the cash. I want umpires who do it because they love what they do.

#20 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Or 3), I'll spend my discretionary time reading instead. :)

Reading is what I would be doing right now, except I got caught up in an infantile discussion started by some poster about officiating! :) :)
  • ashburyjohn likes this