Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Here's How The Experts Are Viewing Twins Prospects

royce lewis nick gordon fernando romero stephen gonsalves
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 RegularJoe62

RegularJoe62

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Call me skeptical about Romero when he's showing durability issues while still in his early 20s. 

#22 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

I think the guys towards the bottom of this list will only rank higher by season’s end. Then the guys on the fringe, such as Kirilloff, Graterol, and Enlow, even Baddoo could crack this list. That’d put us with up to ten on the top 100 list giving our farm system more notoriety. Home grown too, not traded for, much like those savvy Sox.

The savvy is debatable. 3 years of an Ace, 4 years of a cost controlled almost Ace, a closer, a set up man, years of an above average starting CF and a rental of a 3b and you have Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech and question marks.

• Han Joelo, howieramone2 and jrod23 like this

#23 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Call me skeptical about Romero when he's showing durability issues while still in his early 20s.

That's what happens when you throw 100 mph.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#24 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Lewis

Gonsalves

Romero

Rooker
Gordon
Kiriloff
Wade

Javier
Thorpe
Diaz

Are my personal top 10. I should get around to fully ranking prospects in the next week or so. I promise.

• markos likes this

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Sleeping on LaMonte Wade is ridiculous. The guy will be good. After 127 PAs at Fort Myers in 2016 he posted an .805 OPS in Chatty in 2017. I don't care if the "ceiling" is 4th OF (it really isn't, but HOPEFULLY it is on the Twins for the next two years, right?).

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,368 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Sleeping on LaMonte Wade is ridiculous. The guy will be good. After 127 PAs at Fort Myers in 2016 he posted an .805 OPS in Chatty in 2017. I don't care if the "ceiling" is 4th OF (it really isn't, but HOPEFULLY it is on the Twins for the next two years, right?).

Do you like him more than Buxton, Rosario or Kepler? I don't. He's good insurance though.

#27 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Do you like him more than Buxton, Rosario or Kepler? I don't. He's good insurance though.

Depending on what the FO thinks of Wade, it make them more open to dealing Rosario or Kepler. The issue with trading Rosario or Kepler (presumably for pitching) is that a team willing to give up a quality starter most likely wants an asset back with more than 4 years of team control left. 

#28 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

His lack of power keeps him from cracking the top 10 in most lists and limits his ceiling. He will be only 24 all of year next year so hopefully he starts putting muscle behind the ball.If he can move his ISO much closer to .200 he could be really good.  

It looks like Wade started driving the ball more in Chattanooga:

2016 LD%: 18.3%

2017 LD%: 23.9%

Perhaps I was hasty in my posting of his ceiling being that of a 4th OF. Obviously, his OBP and K/BB ratio are both fantastic; leading to the belief that he has terrific pitch recognition which plays at the MLB level (assuming it carries with him.) His SLG% is carried by his career high in doubles (see LD% increase). If those trends continue, it really would be fair to say he could be a starting corner OF for some teams. If he turns those 2Bs into HRs, then you certainly have a bona fide starting Corner OF. So, if I may be so bold as to change my initial opinion of Mr. Wade: I would agree with many of the other posters on this thread that his ceiling is, indeed, more than that of a 4th OF. Heck, he might even turn out to be the Brian Dozier of the Twins OF and learn how to start yanking the ball over the Right Field wall and hit a couple dozen out. I would then turn to the waiter and say, "Sir, I'll have the crow with the white wine reduction, thank you."

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, big dog and 3 others like this

#29 youngpadawan

youngpadawan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

If Gonsalves doesn't have impressive stuff, doesn't have velocity or spin, and has trouble throwing strikes how in the world does he have the numbers he has?

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,004 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

If Gonsalves doesn't have impressive stuff, doesn't have velocity or spin, and has trouble throwing strikes how in the world does he have the numbers he has?

He's still facing enough batters with unimpressive bats. :)

Joys and tears alike are sent, to give the soul fit nourishment. -- Sarah Adams

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,604 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

If Gonsalves doesn't have impressive stuff, doesn't have velocity or spin, and has trouble throwing strikes how in the world does he have the numbers he has

The delta between AA and AAA is really big. The delta to the majors is really big. He could be the 200th best pitcher on the entire planet right now, and still be a AAA/AAAA/RP type, and not a starter in the majors. 

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#32 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

I thought Gonsalves had a lot of spin on his fastball. I recall reading an article on this last spring training. Was that article inaccurate? I don’t know. However I hope he continues to prove people wrong. Gonsalves might not have the “best stuff” but from what I have read he sure has pitchability and an advanced feel for pitching. Like all our pitching prospects I hope he is successful, but I understand that very few actually “make it” in the bigs.

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,772 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

On the other hand, he had a .763 OPS, .238 BA, and a real nasty concussion in the AFL.

The last part worries me the most about Wade, and unless I see solid contact and equally good strike zone judgement in 2018, I will be concerned.

Also, I would have a hard time ranking him ahead of Rooker, Kirilloff and Baddoo as far as OFs go.Add a few pitchers, infielders, and it is hard for him to be a top 10 guy...And that's before the concussion...

Edited by Thrylos, 30 January 2018 - 01:34 PM.

• TNTwinsFan and Tomj14 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

On the other hand, he had a .763 OPS, .238 BA, and a real nasty concussion in the AFL.

The last part worries me the most about Wade, and unless I see solid contact and equally good strike zone judgement in 2018, I will be concerned.

Also, I would have a hard time ranking him ahead of Rooker, Kirilloff and Baddoo as far as OFs go.Add a few pitchers, infielders, and it is hard for him to be a top 10 guy...And that's before the concussion...

I think you nailed it. It was really his subpar performance in the AFL (super small sample size) that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth about him. And I couldn't agree more about ranking him above the guys you mentioned. I am really high on Rooker and think the kid may in fact be the system's 2nd best prospect behind Lewis. We'll see how Rooker does in getting his K/BB ratio improved this year; if he can walk 12-15% and K >20%, LOOK OUT!!!

#35 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

MLB.com lists Wander Javier as one of "12 prospects who just missed the top 100", saying "Javier could shoot up the top shortstops list in a hurry."

https://www.mlb.com/...ist/c-265553816

• gunnarthor, Twins33, dbminn and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, nick gordon, fernando romero, stephen gonsalves