Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Introducing the new Twins Daily!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

The adds argument is bogus. If u want to make money, get a real job. These are the worst adds u could get. I used to come to this site multiple times a day. Now, I rarely come back. This was a forum to talk twins but you aholes have turned it into Christmas in july. When does the site go public? I would like to buy some stock since its so profitable to have ads on your site...just ask facebook. Sellouts. This sint the twins way. This website is run like slowey and valencia

If that's the way you feel, I invite you to leave and never, ever come back. We spend hundreds of hours putting this site together every month. if you can't appreciate that, we will shed no tears if you go somewhere else.

To respond to your "real job" statement: If you want an ad-free website, go build one.

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'm good with Ads. I'm good with sliding ads. I'm not thrilled with ads that pop into the middle of the screen, probably won't stop me from coming, but it is a bummer.

We are working on it. I've been out of town the past few days for a funeral but I'll be back later today and will try to resolve the problem.

#33 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm not sure if this is the place for suggestions or feedback, or if it would be better in the Suggestions forum. But, since both my comments are related to the new look, I'll make them here.

1) Pretty minor, but I don't like that if I don't have the window maximized, I can's see the full width of the posts. Having to scroll side-to-side to read posts isn't much fun. I likely won't check-in as much during work where I don't like to have my internet window maximized. I know, I know...I probably shouldn't be coming here as much as I do during those hours anyway...

2) I very much miss having the time of the latest post included on the left hand side list of recently commented on forums. Especially when I'm checking in semi-often, it was nice to be able to refresh and see what's new since the last time with the time stamp.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hmm. A lot of you used that time stamp. I'll look into possibly adding it back in.

#35 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Brock, hope all is well. As for the date stamp, yes, that was nice, very nice.
Lighten up Francis....

#36 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

The adds argument is bogus. If u want to make money, get a real job. These are the worst adds u could get. I used to come to this site multiple times a day. Now, I rarely come back. This was a forum to talk twins but you aholes have turned it into Christmas in july. When does the site go public? I would like to buy some stock since its so profitable to have ads on your site...just ask facebook. Sellouts. This sint the twins way. This website is run like slowey and valencia

My favorite part of this post (there are many to choose from: Poor spelling, grammar, etc) is perhaps the fact that he thinks facebook is somehow a bad business model to follow.

Also, I would never suggest anyone use an ad blocker, but if a sliding ad and a couple 300 x 250 ad units cause you this much stress/frustration perhaps you should invest into that idea.

It should also be noted that ESPN.com and other top sports sites use more annoying things such as: Auto Play ads, pop ups, expandables etc as well.

Also I can't speak for the founders of this site, but I'm pretty sure the idea with the ads aren't "Lets try to make a ton of money for ourselves!" More they are hoping the ads cover the serving costs, labor costs? and maybe lets them pocket a few extra dollars for all their hours they put in throughout the days/weeks/months.

#37 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I added the time stamp back into the post. I want to eliminate the "Today" part of the text to shorten it up but I don't have the energy for that today. I'll look into it later.

#38 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I understand that ads are a necessity to keep a site like this running, but put me in the camp that is far less likely to visit in the current format (sliding ads, distracting ads, ads in the middle, etc)

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Just so everyone is updated, we're working on removing the pop-out ads. Those are the ads that appear to look like a normal ad but then expand to 3-5 times the normal size (and sometimes blare sound at you, to boot).

If you continue to see them, please let us know. I haven't seen any in the past 24 hours but I never saw them much in the first place.

#40 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nice to see the pop up ads gone. Much easier to view. Sorry for going crazy on yo' a$$ and for posting via android device. I may add that with my android device, I still had the popup ads and that is what was driving me crazy, because I couldn't close it until the ad was completely done downloading (slow network makes for long load times).

Now, the site seems to be more normal and user friendly, thanks for taking the constructive (almost bullyish) criticism.

#41 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Nice to see the pop up ads gone. Much easier to view. Sorry for going crazy on yo' a$$ and for posting via android device. I may add that with my android device, I still had the popup ads and that is what was driving me crazy, because I couldn't close it until the ad was completely done downloading (slow network makes for long load times).

Now, the site seems to be more normal and user friendly, thanks for taking the constructive (almost bullyish) criticism.

No worries, I know users get pissed when their favorite site feels like it has been attacked by advertisers and ruins their experience. When it comes to ads, it's a tough game. I don't see the ads you see. John doesn't see the ads I see. Therefore, it's hard to know exactly how you're seeing the website. We try to provide a consistent experience but some things are out of our hands and we rely on the community to let us know what they're seeing/doing. In the case of ads, it was obnoxious. When I finally saw the pop-out ads, I completely sympathized with the complaints in this thread. I hate those things just as much as the rest of you.

Anyway, the problem is *hopefully* resolved. If it continues, please let us know.

Also, why aren't you viewing the site on the mobile browser? Or are you using an Android tablet instead of phone?