Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Introducing the new Twins Daily!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ew-Twins-Daily!

#2 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Please link to the last post vs the person who wrote the last post. longer threads, that link is invaluable.

Thanks.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Done!

#4 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks. Definitely better.

#5 davesaxton

davesaxton

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Way to many adds on the right side of the screen. I'm stationed over seas and they really slow down the network that I'm on. I love the new layout other then that.

#6 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Maybe it will take some getting used to, but not a fan of the new font at all.

Also for some reason this is running along the top when I use Firefox:

'); var sidebar_align = 'right'; var content_container_margin = parseInt('278px'); var sidebar_width = parseInt('258px'); //-->

Edited by Musk21, 24 August 2012 - 09:44 AM.

If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#7 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Is it possible to let users decide if they want the older layout (where the mobile option is available: bottom left drop down)?While the boarders and some buttons are crisper, the text is squeezed too much (between ads and tools) like a twitter page. For those of us who have wide screen monitors and like the freedom to spread the browser, not having the ability is a real drawback. Right now, I feel like I'm typing in a tiny box and distracted by an entire unbroken column of ads or the right... and beyond that border (beyond the set web page size) there are ads in the unused margins further to the right. That ad in the margin also is one that follows my up/down scroll. Great. 40% of my browser is ads with this one size fits all concretization. Please give the option to go back. I'll include screen captures if need be, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Edited by Ultima Ratio, 24 August 2012 - 09:52 AM.
punctuation

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Maybe it will take some getting used to, but not a fan of the new font at all.

Also for some reason this is running along the top when I use Firefox:

'); var sidebar_align = 'right'; var content_container_margin = parseInt('278px'); var sidebar_width = parseInt('258px'); //-->

Interesting. I've tested the theme in Firefox from the beginning and I've never seen this error. Looking at the code, I assume you're seeing it in the forums. What version of FF are you using? I've been testing under ver. 14.0 (the latest FF).

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Way to many adds on the right side of the screen. I'm stationed over seas and they really slow down the network that I'm on. I love the new layout other then that.

We're going to be working on optimizing how the ads are handled. Thanks for the feedback, it's definitely something we're concerned about.

#10 Loops

Loops

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Much more difficult to read. Everything is too squished together with my wide monitor. A third of the page is white space because of the large margins on each side.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Is it possible to let users decide if they want the older layout where the mobile option is available bottom left drop down. While the boarders and some buttons are crisper, the text is squeezed too much (between ads and tools) like a twitter page. For those of us who have wide screen monitors and like the freedom to spread the browser, not having the ability is a real drawback. Right now, I feel like I'm typing in a tiny box and distracted by an entire unbroken column of ads or the right... and beyond that border (beyond the set web page size there are ads in the unused margins further to the right. That ad in the margin also is one that follows my up/down scroll. Great. 40% of my browser is ads with this one size fits all concretization. Please give the option to go back. I'll include screen captures if need be, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Sorry, we're not going back to a liquid layout. There are far too many downsides to designing a site based around percentages (which is why the screen would stretch in the old version). If you look around the internet, there are very few "professional" sites that use a liquid design and there's a reason for that. It's impossible to properly control how your content is displayed and make it look good on every device known to man. On top of that, I just don't have the time to continue updating and maintaining two themes instead of one. It's twice the work (more actually, due to how difficult it is to make things look good in a liquid design).

I completely understand what you're saying, though. I use a 2550 resolution monitor, which is basically the highest res monitor you can buy for consumer use.

#12 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

How about removing the "stalking ad" on the right outside the fixed browser size? I can shrink my browser (just to fit this new fixed size) to crop it out. But that's really annoying to do just for this site, just to block out this annoying ad, which apparently standard size monitors can't see anyway. A further downside to having a widescreen monitor.

#13 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Magic? It's gone!

Nope, it's still here.

Edited by Ultima Ratio, 24 August 2012 - 10:06 AM.
Premature happiness

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

How about removing the "stalking ad" on the right outside the fixed browser size? I can shrink my browser (just to fit this new fixed size) to crop it out. But that's really annoying to do just for this site, just to block out this annoying ad, which apparently standard size monitors can't see anyway. A further downside to having a widescreen monitor.

We're not entirely against removing the ad if the users overwhelmingly hate it but it's going to stick around for awhile so we can gauge how it performs. Remember that ads are what keep this site in operation. Without them, this site wouldn't exist.

#15 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm finding it more difficult to scan through the forums listings. The text color and background colors are too similar and the font seems smaller -- grayish on gray hues. Can you bring back some color, eps to links? Looking rather drab at this point and hard on the eyes. Sorry to keep nagging but I think others will agree.

#16 luckyirish

luckyirish

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

It seems harder to read the "Twins Talk", " From our Community, "From Our Nieghbors" columns on the left (or I guess not viewer friendly like before). Too much grey and needs some bolding of the headers or something. The Headers, summary of article, and posted by could be somewhat different colors. The look of those columns makes me think of ads and i dont want to read them. just my opinion.

#17 anthonyq77

anthonyq77

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Those pop up ads gotta go. They popped up at least 6 times while i was trying to post a new thread. every time i tried to scroll down one would pop up then twice after i closed it the one at the top would pop up before i could move my cursor. Maybe just moving them to a new location on the page would help?

#18 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Could you at least put the time of the last post on sidebar discussion links? Or perhaps a link to the 1st unread post?

#19 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm freakin out about these adds man. Plus I would like to see what time the last post was on the left side of the screen. Also what person on this site would ever, ever click on the oogie loogie add? I can see the artic cat add but oogie loogie. The whole thing is annoying.

#20 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

i absolutely hate sliding adds on any website. I understand they fund the site and whatnot, but there's gotta be a way to get by with only adds at the top of the page or fixed in various places on the page or something other than following you everywhere.

#21 chaderic20

chaderic20

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

To everyone complaining about ads, use FF and get the Adblock Plus plugin. Poof! The ads are all gone!

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

To everyone complaining about ads, use FF and get the Adblock Plus plugin. Poof! The ads are all gone!

I have a feeling talking about Adblock isn't going to win you any points with the sites creators.

Yes, ads are annoying, and they are working on getting rid of the pop up ads rollover ads. But keep in mind, this is a free site, that does cost money and time to maintain. Using adblock is a pretty dick move in my opinion. Nobody is asking you to click them.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, that's a fantastic alternative. Block the only source of revenue from a site you frequent for free. A site that requires hundreds of man hours a month to maintain for very little to no pay.

Brilliant.

With that said, I received a full frontal assault of pop-up, pop-out and noisy ads this morning when I checked the site. I now see the complaints. That will be resolved shortly. We want to create a friendly environment that also allows us to make a little money for all the effort we put into the site, not annoy the users to the point where they never want to return to TD.

#24 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't mind the ads in general, but one that was really bothersome was the Command strip ad. It kept opening, even when I didn't run my mouse over it, and after I'd close it, it would open again before I could scroll down the screen.

If that's a common problem with that particular ad, I'd recommend getting rid of it if possible.

#25 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Is it possible to let users decide if they want the older layout where the mobile option is available bottom left drop down. While the boarders and some buttons are crisper, the text is squeezed too much (between ads and tools) like a twitter page. For those of us who have wide screen monitors and like the freedom to spread the browser, not having the ability is a real drawback. Right now, I feel like I'm typing in a tiny box and distracted by an entire unbroken column of ads or the right... and beyond that border (beyond the set web page size there are ads in the unused margins further to the right. That ad in the margin also is one that follows my up/down scroll. Great. 40% of my browser is ads with this one size fits all concretization. Please give the option to go back. I'll include screen captures if need be, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Sorry, we're not going back to a liquid layout. There are far too many downsides to designing a site based around percentages (which is why the screen would stretch in the old version). If you look around the internet, there are very few "professional" sites that use a liquid design and there's a reason for that. It's impossible to properly control how your content is displayed and make it look good on every device known to man. On top of that, I just don't have the time to continue updating and maintaining two themes instead of one. It's twice the work (more actually, due to how difficult it is to make things look good in a liquid design).

I completely understand what you're saying, though. I use a 2550 resolution monitor, which is basically the highest res monitor you can buy for consumer use.

I've noted this being a trend for awhile, I don't like it. While sites look very nice on my crappy little 1366 x 768 screen, my 1920 x 1080 laptop has a lot more "dead space" then is welcome. Can't even image how bad it would be with a 2560 x 1600.

#26 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Dan Cole once said everyone wants something for free. Love of the game is one thing, being paid for your time is the American way. Deal with it and enjoy the site. Click on an ad every once in awhile so they guys get paid for their time. I do not know why General Mills isn't a sponsor for all the Frankenberry plugs along the way.

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Rocketpig and his lover should be the new Frankenberry spokesmens.

#28 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

How about removing the "stalking ad" on the right outside the fixed browser size?

I second that notion. I understand the necessity of ads, but that one is just annoying. Otherwise I love the new layout it's awesome.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'm good with Ads. I'm good with sliding ads. I'm not thrilled with ads that pop into the middle of the screen, probably won't stop me from coming, but it is a bummer.

#30 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

The adds argument is bogus. If u want to make money, get a real job. These are the worst adds u could get. I used to come to this site multiple times a day. Now, I rarely come back. This was a forum to talk twins but you aholes have turned it into Christmas in july. When does the site go public? I would like to buy some stock since its so profitable to have ads on your site...just ask facebook. Sellouts. This sint the twins way. This website is run like slowey and valencia