Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

XFL 2020

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Vince McMahon is doubling down on reviving the same football league that only lasted 1 season in 2001.

It's supposed to launch in 2020 and advertised as "family-friendly" football with no politics involved.

Very few out there are clamoring for more football... And there's no way they can compete against the NFL. So how will this work, exactly?

The only way I see it being even remotely sustainable is if they go after college kids that don't really want to be at college. Give them a little pay day for a year or 2 before they jump over to the NFL.

Your thoughts?

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

They will put it on cable or PPV or something......He doesn't need to create a long term asset, just one that makes money for 5 or so years.....

I have my doubts, but it is possible they can make money on this.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

They will put it on cable or PPV or something......He doesn't need to create a long term asset, just one that makes money for 5 or so years.....

I have my doubts, but it is possible they can make money on this.

You think people would do PPV for what's ultimately going to be an inferior product to the NFL? It's possible, but I have doubts about that too.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

You think people would do PPV for what's ultimately going to be an inferior product to the NFL? It's possible, but I have doubts about that too.

people pay to stream free network tv........so, there is an audience for everything.

#5 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

There's no such thing as "no politics" so good luck with that.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, hugelycat and olivia11 like this

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

I think we'll need a lot more information about their vision for this before we can decide if the model will succeed or fail.

Arena league football didn't garner much of a following and my initial reaction is to expect much the same here.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

Does WWE already have a channel, or whatever his org is now?

#8 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

This must be a case of McMahon's ego getting in the way of his brain. The logistics of how this could possibly work are head scratching. So, the fake wrestling guy is going to promote family friendly, less violent football? The XFL failed the first time and it was a good idea then so not sure how this is going to get people's attention. To succeed in 2020 they are going to really need to come up with something special.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Does WWE already have a channel, or whatever his org is now?

Yes, they have their own subscription network.

#10 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

It can work if they keep it cheap. However, I have doubts they could show financial restraint.

#11 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

It would be great programming and a selling point for the WWE Network.Maybe it would allow for a slight increase in the monthly rate.  

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

Interestingly, the NFL is already the only other sports league that is classified as entertainment and not sport, along with WWE.
I'm not saying they do, but this classification would legally allow them to fix/script games, without breaking anti trust laws.

I have zero evidence that is taking place, but I do find it interesting.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 02 February 2018 - 04:49 PM.

#13 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:48 AM

Why another football league? Why not a good idea, like a rugby league? American football as we know it is on the decline.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

In the early 20th century, there was a fuss in colleges about how dangerous American football had become. Some universities stopped their football programs and brought back rugby, including Stanford.

It became clear quickly that rugby was even more dangerous and within a couple of years all of the universities went back to football.

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

I'm excited for it. I think it could work well as long as they don't try to compete with the NFL in any way. Who knows exactly how to go about that, but having the games in the spring is a good start.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.