Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report: Darvish Decision Expected This Week, Twins In Consideration

yu darvish chris gimenez jon morosi jon lester david ross
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Five-Year Offer
Darvish will turn 32 next August and he has only pitched one season of more than 200 innings. This might make it tough for team’s swallow a long-term deal.

The fact that he struck out more than 209 hitters for 3 seasons, might make it a bit easier to swallow ;)

BTW, he was hurt for 2 seasons and part of a third, so the 200 IP/season a pretty bad measuring stick.

IP/season matter less than IP/start and his career average is 6.53 IP/S so when given as many starts as Ervin Santana last season, this averages to 209-2/3 innings per season.

So that's that.

Edited by Thrylos, 24 January 2018 - 02:43 PM.

• kab21, nytwinsfan, gagu and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Fascinating the Twins are the only team specified in the tweet - text limits or something more?

#23 Greg Logan

Greg Logan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Twitter: glp_vt

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Fascinating the Twins are the only team specified in the tweet - text limits or something more?

Cotillo and others have been suggesting it's Cubs vs. Brewers (possibly because of yesterday's rumors that Twins might be backing off due to price tag), so maybe Morosi was just reiterating that the Twins were still in it too?

• Sconnie and Bill Tanner like this

#24 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Could be

Or...

Maybe they are be preemptive. Putting potential roadblocks in the way for other potential suitors. In case all things are equal.  

It's just a minor league deal for Gimenez. The Cubs can still go out and sign Avila and leave Gimenez in Iowa.

Maybe they are thinking... Darvish likes Gimenez... let's grab him before Texas, Minnesota or Milwaukee does and see if it increases our chances and decreases the chances of the competition in case all things are equal or close to equal.  

I imagine the contract discussions are being held with the Agent and not Darvish directly. It's hard to believe that the Agent while trying to negotiate the deal of Yu's lifetime is saying "Yeah it's 150 Million plus Gimenez has to be on the 25 man or no deal". 

I can't imagine the agent saying it's 120 Million in Minnesota.... 100 Million in Chicago but the Cubs have Gimenez. To which Darvish replies "It only costs me 20 million to play Gimenez again?". Where do I sign.:):):)

I think it is quite possible that Chicago needs a cheap catcher for depth and if it Darvish likes it... Bonus. 

I will silently eat my plate of crow if the Twins get him.:) The signs just don't look promising to me.FWIW I hope I am wrong.

#25 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

i though he (Yu) wasn't in a hurry to sign anything anytime soon and was enjoying the process?

#26 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

At least the Twins are in it. It's better than we usually get. I've honestly been pretty happy with the new management. They seem to have similar beliefs to me. We need a top of the rotation pitcher, but if you have to overpay it's just not worth it. Even if you pay market value it may not end up being worth it. You have to mitigate risk.

• birdwatcher, Dman, gagu and 1 other like this

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Our window is now open, if we have to overpay, hope the attendance goes up to cover it  

Sign Darvish now or move on.Do not limit yourself until it is too late for all options that are good.

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

i though he (Yu) wasn't in a hurry to sign anything anytime soon and was enjoying the process?

could be his compatriots in the players union might be giving him a little more urging to make a decision in order to take some leverage away from the teams for the other starters on the market.

#29 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

Could be

Or...

Maybe they are be preemptive. Putting potential roadblocks in the way for other potential suitors. In case all things are equal.  

It's just a minor league deal for Gimenez. The Cubs can still go out and sign Avila and leave Gimenez in Iowa.

Maybe they are thinking... Darvish likes Gimenez... let's grab him before Texas, Minnesota or Milwaukee does and see if it increases our chances and decreases the chances of the competition in case all things are equal or close to equal.  

I imagine the contract discussions are being held with the Agent and not Darvish directly. It's hard to believe that the Agent while trying to negotiate the deal of Yu's lifetime is saying "Yeah it's 150 Million plus Gimenez has to be on the 25 man or no deal". 

I can't imagine the agent saying it's 120 Million in Minnesota.... 100 Million in Chicago but the Cubs have Gimenez. To which Darvish replies "It only costs me 20 million to play Gimenez again?". Where do I sign.:):):)

I think it is quite possible that Chicago needs a cheap catcher for depth and if it Darvish likes it... Bonus.

Easy enough for you to say. When Andy Benes met Giminez, he didn’t understand the big deal about him, so he directly asked him, “Who do you think you are?”

Giminez answered with a smirk, “I’m Chris Giminez!”
  • Riverbrian and Original Whizzinator like this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

At least the Twins are in it. It's better than we usually get. I've honestly been pretty happy with the new management. They seem to have similar beliefs to me. We need a top of the rotation pitcher, but if you have to overpay it's just not worth it. Even if you pay market value it may not end up being worth it. You have to mitigate risk.

Meh....we were told for years they were in on Cubans. Being "in on" a FA means little, imo.

• USAFChief, Platoon and SF Twins Fan like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#31 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

I'm in this corner. I like a deal and this is full on retail. That earlier comment about poaching on the end of Grenke's deal sounds like a deal

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

I'm in this corner. I like a deal and this is full on retail. That earlier comment about poaching on the end of Grenke's deal sounds like a deal

Greinke was worth 6.3 bWAR in 2017. Arizona will not be selling him for less (in terms of talent + assumed salary) than a Darvish FA contract.

#33 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Is there anyway that Darvish would take two years 28 mil per year or $56 million guaranteed and add a third year mutual option which either side could decline from the Twins. Can they negotiate him a cut of something other than salary? You would think if the team has a lot of immediate success which is possible that Darvish would benefit from a shorter deal then a long term one. Twins are poised to make a run these next three season's. That itself should be appealing to a pitcher, this team can play some damn good defense and has some offense too. 

That gives higher annual dollars than longer term an the player and team get to gamble a little. He seems like the kind of guy that wirery, lengthy type that will maintain velocity as he ages so at age 34 hitting the open market may appeal to him at that age. I know it is a stretch but sure would be nice to see a pitcher of Darvish stature, and strikeout ability pitching for the Twins. They only have Mauer and Dozier under contract for this up coming season so if there is ever a season to push the chips in the middle of the table 2018 would sure seem to be it. Doesn't seem likely at his age he probably want's more years and more guaranteed money. Still would be nice to see the Twins ownership push some chips in the middle of the table this season.

The young offensive talent, is not going to stay young forever, and this team still needs starting pitching.

It would be nice for once for some actual proof that ownership is willing to stretch and go a little extra on getting a top notch talent. They always say it but there has yet to be tangible proof of that fact. I think ticket sales would be booming if they brought Darvish in the fold. You can sell a lot of hot dogs and beer when there is a lot more butts in the stands then years past. Would be nice to see Target field humming like it was the first three years. The Buzz would be real and palpable. There is optimism for this upcoming season, but a Free agent signing like Yu would make it skyrocket. This cat is the real deal when it comes to pitching, Twins sign him, and I am scouting out my parade spot for next November to watch the real championship trophy ride by.

Edited by jaimedude2, 24 January 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Is there anyway that Darvish would take two years 28 mil per year or $56 million guaranteed and add a third year mutual option which either side could decline from the Twins.

No. :)
  • wagwan, Mike Sixel and snap4birds like this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

No. :)

Agreed. He's not signing for less than 125-150MM.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

Is there anyway that Darvish would take two years 28 mil per year or $56 million guaranteed and add a third year mutual option which either side could decline from the Twins.

Allegedly he already has a 5 year offer on the table, which I suspect guarantees at least double of that $56 million...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

Cotillo and others have been suggesting it's Cubs vs. Brewers (possibly because of yesterday's rumors that Twins might be backing off due to price tag), so maybe Morosi was just reiterating that the Twins were still in it too?

Are the Twins really surprised Darvish would be expensive? Wouldn't backing off now due to this reason be kind of, well, daft?

• USAFChief, Jerr, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#38 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Are the Twins really surprised Darvish would be expensive? Wouldn't backing off now due to this reason be kind of, well, daft?

could be posturing
  • nicksaviking, Doomtints and Platoon like this

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,088 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

I will silently eat my plate of crow if the Twins get him. :) The signs just don't look promising to me. FWIW I hope I am wrong.

If I was forced to guess. BTW... I’m not forced to guess yet here I am guessing anyway.

I’m guessing the Rangers swoop and piss me off.
  • Dman likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#40 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,088 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Easy enough for you to say. When Andy Benes met Giminez, he didn’t understand the big deal about him, so he directly asked him, “Who do you think you are?”Giminez answered with a smirk, “I’m Chris Giminez!”

Andy Benes asked me the same question. I replied back “Mr. Big Stuff”.

True Story... except it probably wasn’t Andy Benes.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yu darvish, chris gimenez, jon morosi, jon lester, david ross