Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report: Darvish Decision Expected This Week, Twins In Consideration

yu darvish chris gimenez jon morosi jon lester david ross
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

#321 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Disappointing. Any chance we can get two of Arrieta/Lynn/Cobb?

#322 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

They offered a contract they new would be beat. Thus no real effort.

Right. Sigh.

#323 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

They offered a contract they new would be beat. Thus no real effort.

Does that also apply to the front offices in (at least) Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Houston, Texas, and New York? Berardino is reporting that the Twins offer was five years and at least $100 million. That would have easily been the largest free agent contract in franchise history, hardly spineless, and hardly a lie. Even when you play to win, sometimes you just get beat.
  • Jerr and howieramone2 like this

#324 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Right. Sigh.

What makes you say they knew their offer would be beat?

#325 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Does that also apply to the front offices in (at least) Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Houston, Texas, and New York? Berardino is reporting that the Twins offer was five years and at least $100 million. That would have easily been the largest free agent contract in franchise history, hardly spineless, and hardly a lie. Even when you play to win, sometimes you just get beat.

LA, Houston, NYY and Texas have all made or won World Series in the last 10 years and have made plenty of other BIG splashes in the meantime in FA and trades.

Also I know a lot of rangers fans who are pissed as well fwiw.

The Brewers are a bad example (or good example actually) since they haven’t won jack either in forever. So yeah, I would say they have failed pretty significantly as well!

(But at least they have made some aggressive moves over the years)

If the Twins did anything over the last 25 years to truly (go for it) it would be easier to let it slide.

Also the Yankees brought in Stanton and the Astros brought in Cole already this offseason...

Edited by DaveW, 10 February 2018 - 08:36 PM.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#326 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Does that also apply to the front offices in (at least) Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Houston, Texas, and New York?

Yes.

If you have followed this story from the beginning, then you should know that those big market teams were not making serious offers. They admitted as much.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#327 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

What makes you say they knew their offer would be beat?

When i go here. https://www.mlbtrade...redictions.html

These guys do a great job of determing likely salary based off of comps. Darvish signed for 34 million less then projected. Minnesota would know this should be close to what he should get and they said they were in it for Darvish. Obviously their offer was even lower and they didnt budge as im sure Darvish made a last lap before agreeing with the Cubs.

#328 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

LA, Houston, NYY and Texas have all made or won World Series in the last 10 years and have made plenty of other BIG splashes in the meantime in FA and trades.

Also I know a lot of rangers fans who are pissed as well fwiw.

The Brewers are a bad example (or good example actually) since they haven’t won jack either in forever. So yeah, I would say they have failed pretty significantly as well!

(But at least they have made some aggressive moves over the years)

If the Twins did anything over the last 25 years to truly (go for it) it would be easier to let it slide.

Also the Yankees brought in Stanton and the Astros brought in Cole already this offseason...

I'm not sure what past teams have to do with this offseason. Terry Ryan isn't the GM anymore.

And the Twins have made some good moves to shore up what was a pretty lousy bullpen. I'm almost certain they'll do something to address starting pitching. Darvish didn't work out, and that's a bummer, but he's not the only pitcher on the market, nor are they unable to make a trade or two.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#329 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

Yes.

If you have followed this story from the beginning, then you should know that those big market teams were not making serious offers. They admitted as much.

Got it. All of these teams are run by liars. Paranoia wins the day.

#330 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

When i go here. https://www.mlbtrade...redictions.html

These guys do a great job of determing likely salary based off of comps. Darvish signed for 34 million less then projected. Minnesota would know this should be close to what he should get and they said they were in it for Darvish. Obviously their offer was even lower and they didnt budge as im sure Darvish made a last lap before agreeing with the Cubs.

The Twins offer came in under some projections. Darvish signed for less than the prognosticators prognosticated. Therefore, the Twins...chickened out? I don't follow that reasoning.

#331 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

I look forward to opening day when we raise our “3rd place in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes” banner along with our AL Wild Card one and done banner.

Why get upset about it? Would it have been nice to have Darvish, absolutely now we can look forward to seeing the kids compete for the rotation this year.

#332 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,679 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Why get upset about it? Would it have been nice to have Darvish, absolutely now we can look forward to seeing the kids compete for the rotation this year.

same thing we do every year? :-)

• spycake and Vanimal46 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yu darvish, chris gimenez, jon morosi, jon lester, david ross