Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Report: Darvish Decision Expected This Week, Twins In Consideration

yu darvish chris gimenez jon morosi jon lester david ross
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

#301 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,731 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Cobb or Lynn have always been more likely. Darvish played the waiting game to see if the Dodgers could deal Kemp or the Yanks could deal Ellsbury, he finally relented and signed with the next big market club and that was Chicago.

Cobb and Lynn don't get this team out of the Wild Card round.
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, Oxtung and 1 other like this

#302 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,252 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Do you think Berrios starts the opener or do we go with Gibby and his veteran presence?

what about saving Gibby for the home opener?

#303 luckylager

luckylager

• 380 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Lame. He never wanted to come to Minnesota.

And you know this how? 

#304 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

That perhaps is because that offer would have needed to include playing in a different city?

It's easy for Twins fans to fall back on that excuse.

He's now playing in his 3rd different city in a year.

Edited by jimmer, 10 February 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#305 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,479 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

I'm just thankful that THIS WEEK finally happened!

Is it 2020 yet?

#306 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

This was over as soon as the Cubs signed Gimenez, apparently.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and tvagle like this

#307 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

I look forward to opening day when we raise our “3rd place in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes” banner along with our AL Wild Card one and done banner.
  • Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan and Hosken Bombo Disco like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#308 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

This was over as soon as the Cubs signed Gimenez, apparently.

Offering the most money also helped.
  • TheLeviathan, howieramone2 and KirbyDome89 like this
Papers...business papers.

#309 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,903 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

I look forward to opening day when we raise our “3rd place in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes” banner along with our AL Wild Card one and done banner.

I swear to God if they consider losing a play-in game as an accomplishment to celebrate I am going to lose my ****ing ****.

#310 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

I swear to God if they consider losing a play-in game as an accomplishment to celebrate I am going to lose my ****ing ****.

The 10 year reunion in 2027 is going to be lit.
  • USAFChief, nicksaviking and notoriousgod71 like this
Papers...business papers.

#311 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,903 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

The 10 year reunion in 2027 is going to be lit.

I would laugh if I didn't fully expect it.

#312 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 678 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

So you side with the billionaire owners? Not me

I side with the fans who have to pay over twenty bucks for a beer and a dog. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#313 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Spineless for the Twins to say they were in on Darvish and come up with nothing. I prefer Ryan telling us they are trying to do something but be more vague about it.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#314 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by some of this.
What do you mean when you say Napoli brings more balance? He's even more HR or nothing at this point than Vargas is.
You also mention league average. Vargas is actually slightly better than league average the last 3 years, while Napoli is well below league average the last 3 years.

What i mean is the line up is more LH and could use more RH in the lineuo to balance out against LHP. We didnt do as well against LHP last year. Napoli would be a RH that helps balance out the lineup.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#315 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 502 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Spineless for the Twins to say they were in on Darvish and come up with nothing. I prefer Ryan telling us they are trying to do something but be more vague about it.

Free agency is a zero sum game, because a player can only play for one team. The Twins made an offer, and Darvish took a different one. How is that spineless? What does any team have to show for their efforts when a player chooses to sign elsewhere?
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#316 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,252 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Free agency is a zero sum game, because a player can only play for one team. The Twins made an offer, and Darvish took a different one. How is that spineless? What does any team have to show for their efforts when a player chooses to sign elsewhere?

Because assuming reports are accurate, Darvish accepted a weak offer.

#317 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Because i can see what he did sign for and we could and should have easily offered that to Darvish and didnt. Meaning he was low balled and Yu took the first market rate offer he was given. Spineless to feed us BS all offseason and to lowball the offer and say...we tried.....we didnt even offer near expected market value that others were saying he should get. If course were not going to sign him and we have a spineless front office for it.

If they came out and said we are offing Darvish a 6 year contract and Darvish waited for a club to match...fine Darvish didnt want to be here. But that wasnt the case. He wanted a sixth year and we all new he would ask and eventually get. And our front office new it and kept telling us a line if bull that we are all in on Darvish.

SPINELESS.

Ps. I dont enjoy being lied to. As a fan it makes me distrust. The front office. My distrust just jumped a lot today.

Edited by Brandon, 10 February 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#318 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

big assumption that Sano can play 3rd for 90 games. He has just begun conditioning and has the potential for a suspension this season.

If the option is bench bat or additional utility player, Nunez would be my preference because his bat is decent. Essentially he extends the bench by providing both.

Between Escobar and Adrianza, they should be able to cover third if Sano can't do it. It's not a perfect situation but it could get you to July and then you make a trade if you're in contention.

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

#319 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 502 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Because i can see what he did sign for and we could and should have easily offered that to Darvish and didnt. Meaning he was low balled and Yu took the first market rate offer he was given. Spineless to feed us BS all offseason and to lowball the offer and say...we tried.....we didnt even offer near expected market value that others were saying he should get. If course were not going to sign him and we have a spineless front office for it.

If they came out and said we are offing Darvish a 6 year contract and Darvish waited for a club to match...fine Darvish didnt want to be here. But that wasnt the case. He wanted a sixth year and we all new he would ask and eventually get. And our front office new it and kept telling us a line if bull that we are all in on Darvish.

SPINELESS.

Ps. I dont enjoy being lied to. As a fan it makes me distrust. The front office. My distrust just jumped a lot today.

Whatever. I don't see how offering a guy a contract means they lied about pursuing him.

• howieramone2 likes this

#320 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Whatever. I don't see how offering a guy a contract means they lied about pursuing him.

They offered a contract they new would be beat. Thus no real effort.
  • spycake likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yu darvish, chris gimenez, jon morosi, jon lester, david ross