Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Lewis and Gordon make pipeline's top 10 short stop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...ist/c-265065930

While their top 100 isn't out yet, the #10 shortstop is probably a top 40 prospect. Looks like BA is probably the low man on Gordon.

The article says about Gordon - "Gordon did play well in Double-A at age 21 and went to the Futures Game, but he slumped badly in the second half (.609 OPS) and struggled against lefies (.513 OPS). He'll need to show he can produce at the higher levels for an entire season while continuing to prove he can stick at shortstop."

And, Wander Javier got a mention as well - "By the end of the year, it's possible Gordon won't be the top shortstop in the organization. Signed for $4 million in 2015, he had a strong United States debut in the Rookie-level Appalachian League in 2017 and could really break out with a move to the Midwest League this season."

Edited by gunnarthor, 24 January 2018 - 09:51 AM.

• nicksaviking, Dman, dbminn and 1 other like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,584 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

This is all good news. The best currency in baseball is stud young pitching, but the second best is stud young shortstops. I really hope the team is able to elevate these guys' play to time their peak value with feasible trade opportunities.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and Twins33 like this

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

And, Wander Javier got a mention as well - "By the end of the year, it's possible Gordon won't be the top shortstop in the organization. Signed for $4 million in 2015, he had a strong United States debut in the Rookie-level Appalachian League in 2017 and could really break out with a move to the Midwest League this season."

The bold part is funny since he's #10 and Royce Lewis is #5 on their list... 

• Yoke, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#4 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Jim Callis also noted on his twitter that the top 5 SS will all rank in the top 20 of the overall top 100

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

#5 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

The bold part is funny since he's #10 and Royce Lewis is #5 on their list... 

Maybe he means defensively? IDK

The best part of having prospects on these lists is that we get an early look at their new write-ups.Their take on Gordon's defense is probably among the most bullish I've seen, pegging him as a slightly above average defender overall, which would actually be pretty valuable at short.They do say that his range is the limiting factor, but it kind of sounds like they still view him as a shortstop.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

It appears the board gave up on Gordon too quickly......

• Carole Keller and gunnarthor like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#7 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Lewis not mentioned once in the best tools section. Odd for the #5 guy on the list, especially since on of the tools (arm) had like 7 guys tied.

#8 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

They edited that last part. It now reads:

"By the end of the year, it's possible that Javier will be getting more of the attention among Twins shortstops. Signed for $4 million in 2015, he had a strong United States debut in the Rookie-level Appalachian League in 2017 and could really break out with a move to the Midwest League this season."

• gunnarthor likes this

#9 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

I am disappointed in this list - not because of Gordon who seems to be at a plateau, but because I seriously think Lewis should be higher. 

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,980 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

I am disappointed in this list - not because of Gordon who seems to be at a plateau, but because I seriously think Lewis should be higher. 

Who would you move below him? The four above him are pretty darn good players.....

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#11 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

Who would you move below him? The four above him are pretty darn good players.....

I know that Torres has gotten tremendous press, but he is in NY.But I cannot argue.Brendan Rodgers looks like a nice player, but the way they have used him makes it look like he could end up at 2B so I would have Lewis pass him up.And I would push him past Tatis even though this looks like a real upside player, Lewis' numbers are better than his right now.So I would make Lewis #3 or 4.  

But of course that will sort itself out.What I am concerned about is that they are already seeing Lewis ahead of Gordon and warning that Javier might pass him soon.Gordon's stock is still good, but Dozier and Polanco should be watching Lewis not Gordon and down the road Javier.So what do we do with Gordon if the team believes this?  

‚ÄčIf they trade they have to figure out if he holds value or is sliding. 

How many of the top five were missed by the Twins?

Good speculations.  

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

It appears the board gave up on Gordon too quickly......

I don't think the board has given up on him. They have dialed back their unreasonable midseason hype correctly. He is still a very good prospect but he isn't top 25 overall material right now. If he can address his flaws this season then he could certainly move into that category.

• Twins33 likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis