Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rumor has it Kohl Stewart is sniffing around A&M football again

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

For all of those who think he should give some money back, but think the Twins should overpay for Darvish years 4 - 6 I am confused.Stewart did what he was asked.He played in any league they put him in.Now he is not being added to the roster, he is not really in the plans.I say - play football and good luck.

I think he should wait a year, so he could be 28 when he graduated.

#42 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

Other than the fact that he still is under 6 years control for a club, now the Twins.Like it or not, a draft pick is controlled for 11 years or so...He is half way there.

Can someone explain or confirm this 11-year "controlled" contract stuff? I never heard of such a thing before!

#43 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Can someone explain or confirm this 11-year "controlled" contract stuff? I never heard of such a thing before!

I might be wrong (hopefully I'm not), but I think "up to 11 years" is probably the best way to sum it up:

- 5 years of minor league control before needing to be added to the 40-man

- 3 pre-arb years

- 3 arbitration years

I'm probably way off, so anyone feel free to correct me.

#44 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Maybe, then, the only decent player ever in the game of baseball was Lyman Bostock. 

Gil Meche says "Hi".:)

• h2oface likes this

#45 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Gil Meche says "Hi".:)

True. He couldn't play, so instead he retired and forfeited the 12 million coming to him in the last year. Don't tell David Wright or Phil Hughes.

• jud6312 and snap4birds like this

#46 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

This thread does raise an interesting question in my mind. What if a draftee gets a multi-million dollar bonus, and then decides two months later to quit baseball and follow up with something else, including college football? Or two weeks later? Or two days later? There must be some team protection built into such contracts, no?

I agree that Stewart would owe nothing to the Twins at this point. He tried for several seasons, didn't do as well as he expected, and might think he would be better off trying out the other path. But what if he had made this change of course before giving baseball a real chance.

I'm guessing there are clauses about this in those contracts... call me crazy. In this case, I'd bet money that said draftee would be returning said bonus.

#47 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Well, a high school player signs, and they have to spend 5 seasons on the roster at which point they are a 40 man/rule 5 candidate. This is where Stewart currently sits. Without the 40 man guarantee, he can become a minor league FA in one or two more years, at which point, he can do exactly what he wants.

Once on the 40 man, you have 3 seasons of options where you could theoretically sit in the minors before being a FA followed by approximately 6 seasons before hitting major league FA.

I'm guessing 11 came in the form of the first 5 years followed by 6 years of service time. It ignored option years or minor league FA requirements which could lengthen that time (as an example, the Twins could add Stewart to the 40 man next year and start that clock in 2019). It's an estimate, and to be honest, not a very good one based on questionable logic without any documentation on what the contract actually says. The contract likely specifies how long Stewart must play to keep his bonus (unless released of course). It also likely clearly spells out just how the Twins/Stewart can part ways.

#48 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

He'll sure as hell have a lot less studying to do in the SEC than he will with the Twins.
  • 70charger likes this

#49 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:43 AM

Agreed.Legally, he can take off any time he wants to without owing the Twins a dime...

A decent person who was paid $4.5 M to stay for up to 11 years IMHO would not do that, though.

That's my point.

Then I suppose it's also indecent for a team to trade or release any free agents that they sign. Wouldn't you agree?

#50 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

I would like to see if he turns a corner this season. He has the tools to succeed. I would like to see what the new minor league coaches can do with him.