Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rumor has it Kohl Stewart is sniffing around A&M football again

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Various college football related message boards, including a couple reporters on the Texas A&M beat are suggesting that Kohl Stewart is looking to head back to football. You may recall he was a Texas A&M commit before he signed with the Twins.

I'm a little skeptical, given that the last add/drop day at A&M is apparently today or tomorrow. Anyway, a lot of smoke on Twitter and elsewhere, but not much in the way of solid news.

Edited by 70charger, 23 January 2018 - 05:35 PM.

• glunn and mikelink45 like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Good luck to him if he decides on a career U-turn. It doesn't look like baseball is going to pay him much more than the bonus he's already received. Not sure if he ever had NFL talent but if he thinks he does, might as well go for it.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,065 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

Maybe Mauer can finally go to Florida State, and they can face each other!
  • darin617, gil4, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#4 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

A man among boys....... 27 at graduation.

Edited by h2oface, 23 January 2018 - 06:38 PM.

#5 Secondary User

Secondary User

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

A man among boys....... 27 at graduation.

Chris Weinke 2.0

• h2oface and fengriver like this

#6 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I hope he comes back to the Twins, but he could be the #6 starter for Rochester - Gonsalves, Romero, Littell, Slegers, Jorge. Plus, he could get squeezed if Mejia is sent down or if May rehabs in Rochester or if Thorpe comes on strong. He may have gotten an unhappy message when he wasn’t selected in the Rule V draft. He should examine his options and, if he comes back, do so with a clear head.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

If he does that, I hope he has the decency to return some of his signing bonus...

• peterb18 and dgwills like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

If he does that, I hope he has the decency to return some of his signing bonus...

I don't see why, the Twins basically already divested themselves from his future when they decided not to protect him this winter despite having four open 40-man spots. They would have gotten 50K if he'd been taken and kept, that's all he was worth to them.

And frankly, it would be hard to root for a team that asked for bonus money back from a player who busted; it would be beyond petty.
  • Carole Keller, gunnarthor, peterb18 and 13 others like this

#9 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Why would he ever do that and why would you think he isn't a decent people if he didn't? That makes zero sense. He was drafted back in 2013 and has by all accounts put every effort to becoming a professional baseball player. Minor league baseball players get paid like sh*t while in the minor leagues, so it's not like he got paid a big bonus and is also making a ton of money off the Twins for just playing baseball.

I could understand the Twins wanting the money back if he was drafted this year in 2017 and now decided to quit but he was drafted five years ago.

Lastly, the Pohlad's are loaded and have always gone the cheap route so it's not like they would need the money back.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, peterb18 and 6 others like this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Why would he ever do that and why would you think he isn't a decent people if he didn't? That makes zero sense.

Other than the fact that he still is under 6 years control for a club, now the Twins.Like it or not, a draft pick is controlled for 11 years or so...He is half way there.

Edited by Thrylos, 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM.

-----

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,754 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

No. Really, no.
  • Carole Keller, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Other than the fact that he still is under 6 years control for a club, now the Twins.Like it or not, a draft pick is controlled for 11 years or so...He is half way there.

He gets paid a salary, he would be out that figure should he walk away.
  • Carole Keller, gunnarthor, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#13 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

He should at least give it half season to see if he can get to the majors. Real close, so would hate to see him quit. If he doesn’t show up, he can join the football team for summer workouts

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

It's a business contract. There is no decency or indecency, only fulfilling the terms of the contract or not fulfilling them.
And I haven't read the language regarding the signing bonus, so I couldn't possibly say one way or another whether he should or shouldn't have to return any of it.
  • Mike Sixel and SD Buhr like this

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

He gets paid a salary, he would be out that figure should he walk away.

Technically, correct.However, the Twins paid him $4.5 million bonus with the impression that they will have up to 11 years of team control.

It is not a legal matter, it is a matter of decency, as I said...

-----

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Technically, correct. However, the Twins paid him $4.5 million bonus with the impression that they will have up to 11 years of team control.

No, it is a legal matter. If the language of the contract doesn't dictate that he has to give money back, then he shouldn't give money back. This is how contracts work.
  • Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, SD Buhr and 5 others like this

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

No, it is a legal matter. If the language of the contract doesn't dictate that he has to give money back, then he shouldn't give money back. This is how contracts work.

Agreed.Legally, he can take off any time he wants to without owing the Twins a dime...

A decent person who was paid $4.5 M to stay for up to 11 years IMHO would not do that, though.

That's my point.

Edited by Thrylos, 23 January 2018 - 07:58 PM.

-----

#18 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Technically, correct.However, the Twins paid him $4.5 million bonus with the impression that they will have up to 11 years of team control.

If he continues to play baseball, they still have the exclusive rights they paid for. If he met the terms of the contract, he owes the Twins nothing morally. 

If he stays and makes the team and wins a Cy Young as a rookie this year, with the Twins pay him like the best pitcher in baseball next year, or will they pay him like a 2nd-year player who has almost no leverage? I suppose they might sign him to a long-term contract with some money in exchange for more years of control, but we don't call the pre-arb players "serfs" for nothing. Right now he's at the less-than-serf stage. 

If he decides this isn't working and he wants to get on with his life, he is free to do so, free of charge.

Edit - I know my post may be piling on, but I think you're far enough of base on this to add to the pile. Normally I either agree with you or at least can see your side, but I'm missing it this time. 

Edited by gil4, 23 January 2018 - 08:16 PM.

• ThejacKmp, SD Buhr, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#19 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

Agreed. Legally, he can take off any time he wants to without owing the Twins a dime...

A decent person who was paid $4.5 M to stay for up to 11 years IMHO would not do that, though.

That's my point.

That’s not how signing bonuses work. It’s more incentive to leave other options work. Most stock or incentive bonuses vests in 3-5 years. I have never heard of a 11 year vesting schedule. Kohl should keep the money
  • SF Twins Fan and MN_ExPat like this

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

He will probably be paid more at Texas A & M
  • glunn, wagwan, Riverbrian and 12 others like this