Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Three Twins Players Make Keith Law's Top 50 Prospects

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

So that would be 3%, which is average for 1 team out of 30 major league teams. Is anyone else disappointed, considering the recent high draft picks which the Twins have had since 2012?

Would you feel better if Buxton was still in triple A sitting at 90th?

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

I am very pleased with this - Lewis moves up, Gordon gets traded and Romero is at least a #2

#23 Secondary User

Secondary User

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Particularly with increased shift usage, range becomes less and less important

I was really encouraged by the description of Gordon's defense. I had forgotten that he was also considered a possible pitcher in the draft, and the idea that he has a plus arm that he only shows when he really needs to is interesting. A plus arm can make up for a lot of range issues in the bigs. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#24 olivia11

olivia11

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

With MLB.com posting its top 100 prospects last night, the Twins now have 6 players getting top 100 rankings across MLB.com, Baseball America, and Keith Law. Interesting how they're all in agreement on Lewis, but not on any of the others.In fact, Lewis and Gordon are the only Twins who received votes across all three rankings.  

Royce Lewis MLB 20BA 24KL 25

Nick Gordon MLB 80BA 93KL 37

Fernando RomeroMLB 68BA n/rKL 47

Stephen GonsalvesMLB 78BA 97KL n/r

Brent RookerMLB n/rBA 92KL n/r

Wander JavierMLB n/rBA 95KL n/r

• birdwatcher likes this

#25 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

With MLB.com posting its top 100 prospects last night, the Twins now have 6 players getting top 100 rankings across MLB.com, Baseball America, and Keith Law. Interesting how they're all in agreement on Lewis, but not on any of the others.In fact, Lewis and Gordon are the only Twins who received votes across all three rankings.  

That all changes after this year. Rooker will be a Top 50 guy by years end...besides Brent himself, I'm probably the highest on Rooker. Also, that evaluation is based on little to no skill in evaluating talent, but, I'm gonna ride that horse until it dies. :)

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

I have to suppose that most teams have cases like these, though. The bottom line for me is that we have some decent prospects, but only one that really bowls people over. On the positive side, these prospect rankings are always wrong in hindsight, except about the most obvious top-tier guys.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#27 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Prospect evaluations are so subjective and so volatile that we should be seeing significant anomalies among evaluators. It helps me believe that the whole process is bordering on legitimacy if they are each unique.

There are so many dimensions on which to evaluate a young player that it's not clear that a univariate ranking makes sense. How do you compare pitchers vs. hitters? How do you weight together potential, time to majors, speed, power, glove, durability, bat speed, teachability, and, for pitchers, power, control, deception, and overall craft? At the very least it would make sense to have two rankings for hitters and two for pitchers: one for players expected to reach the majors within two years and one for likely overall eventual impact once they arrive.

• 70charger likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

There are so many dimensions on which to evaluate a young player that it's not clear that a univariate ranking makes sense. How do you compare pitchers vs. hitters?

It's true that there's not a crisp and clear definition of how to do rankings. OTOH teams trade hitters for pitchers all the time, so there has to be some kind of way to bridge the difference.

Ranks are just for fun, and a way to concretely say who we think is good. It doesn't make sense to try and push them farther than that.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#29 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

No. Remember, the 2012 draft has already graduated (5 major leaguers). 2013-2015 were high pick years, 2016 wasn't. 2017 got both Lewis and Rooker ranked on at least one list. I expect when all of the ranking places come out the Twins will probably have 8 guys ranked in someones top 100 (Lewis, Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero, Rooker, Javier, Baddoo and Graterol). My guess is that we're probably a top 10 system right now.

Here's a quick draft reminder:

2013 - Stewart, Gonsalves and Garver are the big names and Aaron Slegers made a few ML starts last year. Solid draft. The downside is that there is no difference maker in this draft. There's no Buxton or Berrios. At best, you have a few backend starters and a backup catcher. Not great but it's actually not bad either considering the bust rate for ML drafts.

2014 - Gordon, Burdi, Hildy and Curtiss. I hated this draft then and I still hate it. We went for fire ball relievers (man, Mitch Keller over Burdi would've been nice) but Gordon is a top prospect for Klaw and a consensus top 100 guy in baseball. Hildy and Curtiss could be solid bullpen arms. But I like Gordon and I think he'll be a good MLer so it's ok.

2015 - We drafted Jay early and then didn't have a second round pick b/c we signed Santana and then our next pick didn't sign either. LaMonte Wade might be a steal but basically this draft (and how you feel about 13-15 probably) depends on Jay. Is he the next Andrew Miller type? Or is he an injury prone arm that never puts it together. Injuries suck but drafting Jay made sense. 

2016 - Kiriloff has already been on several top 100 lists. He should hit. You'll probably see Baddoo sneak onto some top 100 lists or at least some honorable mentions. 

Don't forget the other back up C from the 2013 draft who graduated to the majors last year as a rule 5 pick for the Reds Stuart Turner.I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the other relievers from those drafts make it up to the majors at some point either as a solid option for a few seasons or for just a few outings.