Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Vikings Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#301 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

I'd assume the fist calls with be to Luke Joeckel and Jabari Evans?

Joeckel was awful for Seattle last year.Evans wasn't particularly good for GB last year either.  

I guess you call them?I'm guessing Compton is our LG for Week 1,but I'd like to see Isiodora or Gossett in there by the end of the year.Maybe Berger has been staying fresh just in case?

#302 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

I don't know hte rosters well, but if there is a bad team with a decent OG, I'm offering a 2nd rounder and one of our bad OGs for him (assuming he has 2-3 years of control left).......Heck, I'd have done that before this injury. 

• Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#303 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

I think the Vikes have $10 million in cap space left so here's the pipe dream...

Fly that private jet to wherever Joe Thomas lives and convince him to put on the pads again.
  • SF Twins Fan and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#304 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

I don't know hte rosters well, but if there is a bad team with a decent OG, I'm offering a 2nd rounder and one of our bad OGs for him (assuming he has 2-3 years of control left).......Heck, I'd have done that before this injury. 

I like the idea but who, at this stage right now, is walking into the year knowing they are a bad team?

The Jets?Maybe the Bills, Cardinals, or Indy?It's really hard to say at this point.And none of them have a guard worth a damn who wasn't just signed.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#305 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Joeckel was awful for Seattle last year. Evans wasn't particularly good for GB last year either.

I guess you call them? I'm guessing Compton is our LG for Week 1,but I'd like to see Isiodora or Gossett in there by the end of the year. Maybe Berger has been staying fresh just in case?

I don't think the reason Joe Berger retired is because he wasn't going to have a job.

#306 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

I like the idea but who, at this stage right now, is walking into the year knowing they are a bad team?

The Jets? Maybe the Bills, Cardinals, or Indy? It's really hard to say at this point. And none of them have a guard worth a damn who wasn't just signed.

I admit it isn't a realistic plan, at this point. More hope.

#307 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

I don't think the reason Joe Berger retired is because he wasn't going to have a job.

You're right, but he's an option that could plug and play and there are precious few people who qualify.I wouldn't leave any stone unturned.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#308 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

I admit it isn't a realistic plan, at this point. More hope.

That was the basis of my post about Berger too, so I'm right with you.I was sort of hoping to find a good example of your plan and the options were even worse than I would've thought.

Iupati might be an option, but I doubt it.

#309 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

You're right, but he's an option that could plug and play and there are precious few people who qualify. I wouldn't leave any stone unturned.

Concur. I'd call recently retired starters like Berger and Thomas... Check in to see if they haven't lost 75 lbs yet...
  • TheLeviathan, SF Twins Fan and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#310 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

The Vikes reached out to Joe Berger's camp but he's intent on staying retired. On to the next one.

https://profootballt...ard-joe-berger/

#311 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

Good decision by Berger.....you can only get your body and brain beat up for so long.....

• TheLeviathan and SF Twins Fan like this

#312 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Good decision by Berger.....you can only get your body and brain beat up for so long.....

Yeah, I don't fault him one bit.You had to try, but his decision is totally ok.

#313 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Vikes #39 may need to consider a name change

#39 Jack Torcho

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#314 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Mike Hughes made a couple plays (granted, preseason) where the Antoine Winfield comparisons looked spot on.

He was super instinctive and aggressive against the run.And he looked stupid fast/fluid in coverage.Waynes was hyped for his speed but I never saw it jump out at me as a Viking, but Hughes just looks smooth.

I'm really going to watch him the next few weeks, he could make an already great defense ridiculously difficult to deal with.

#315 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Mike Hughes made a couple plays (granted, preseason) where the Antoine Winfield comparisons looked spot on.

He was super instinctive and aggressive against the run. And he looked stupid fast/fluid in coverage. Waynes was hyped for his speed but I never saw it jump out at me as a Viking, but Hughes just looks smooth.

I'm really going to watch him the next few weeks, he could make an already great defense ridiculously difficult to deal with.

I'm very intrigued with him. Zimmer is a straight shooter and rarely pumps the tires of rookies. Especially rookie CBs. He's been saying Hughes is picking up the scheme faster than the typical rookie. I'm excited he'll be an impact player right away.
  • SF Twins Fan and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#316 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Great read!

https://www.theringe...-spielman-draft

• nicksaviking likes this

#317 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:56 PM

As a Twins fan it feels so foreign to me that have a team on the cutting edge.

*Brain explodes*

#318 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

Fantastic and encouraging. Hopefully other teams drag their feet and don't get up to the Vikings class in this stuff right away.

• TheLeviathan likes this