Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Vikings Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#221 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

The Eagles were a stark exception. If the Patriots lose Brady they are no longer a SB contender.calling that fact an "excuse", IMO, is really out of touch with reality. If Brady playing doesn't matter (implied here in your argument)....ehy does Brady matter at all?

Good depth gives you options and a slim chance to overcome injuries. Your starters start for a reason. You pay big bucks for a reason. No matter how many "Next man up" cliches you want to cite, injuries matter. They are not an excuse to give up, but they are a valid explanation for dips in performance.

Ultimately those dips will hurt you, especially if they pile up. That's not an excuse, it's reality. One no GM or coach can overcome. (With exceptions that prove the rule of course)

Edited by TheLeviathan, 29 April 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#222 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

They don't even have starters in the OL, maybe. I doubt they have any depth. That's scary, when you new QB isn't real mobile.
  • TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#223 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hill played well as a reserve tackle. But they are a mess at guard.

I'm not sure there are 100 quality OL in the whole NFL.

#224 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

The Eagles were a stark exception. If the Patriots lose Brady they are no longer a SB contender.calling that fact an "excuse", IMO, is really out of touch with reality. If Brady playing doesn't matter (implied here in your argument)....ehy does Brady matter at all?

Good depth gives you options and a slim chance to overcome injuries. Your starters start for a reason. You pay big bucks for a reason. No matter how many "Next man up" cliches you want to cite, injuries matter. They are not an excuse to give up, but they are a valid explanation for dips in performance.

Ultimately those dips will hurt you, especially if they pile up. That's not an excuse, it's reality. One no GM or coach can overcome. (With exceptions that prove the rule of course)

I'm not implying it doesn't matter.
I'm arguing a good GM and a headstrong team can overcome them. They won't always, but they can.
Every single team in the NFL will face injuries this year, every team. But, one of them will have enough depth to overcome them.

I think we're at an agree to disagree point.

#225 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

I'm not implying it doesn't matter.
I'm arguing a good GM and a headstrong team can overcome them. They won't always, but they can.
Every single team in the NFL will face injuries this year, every team. But, one of them will have enough depth to overcome them.

I think we're at an agree to disagree point.

I just believe there are some injuries you can't overcome.And there is a certain threshold of injuries no team can overcome.And there is only so much you can invest in "depth" before you sacrifice quality for quantity.

Depending upon who the player is, you simply cannot have a Plan B good enough to keep you in it.Or if you're someone like the 2017 Texans - when you lose 3-4 of your best defensive players, your QB, and a host of others....no matter how well prepared you are you're just not going to be able to overcome that.

I don't think a drop in performance for injuries is an "excuse".There are some things outside your control.You still have to try and prepare for them, but not all injury situations make that possible.  

#226 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:53 AM

I just believe there are some injuries you can't overcome. And there is a certain threshold of injuries no team can overcome. And there is only so much you can invest in "depth" before you sacrifice quality for quantity.

Depending upon who the player is, you simply cannot have a Plan B good enough to keep you in it. Or if you're someone like the 2017 Texans - when you lose 3-4 of your best defensive players, your QB, and a host of others....no matter how well prepared you are you're just not going to be able to overcome that.

I don't think a drop in performance for injuries is an "excuse". There are some things outside your control. You still have to try and prepare for them, but not all injury situations make that possible.

Yes, I said not always.
Houston for example, is not at a point in their build where they have enough talent and depth to compensate for Watson being out. I mean, they probably don't even have enough to win a SB even with Watson. Not yet.
The Vikings should be at that point, IMO.
And yes, at some point, it's too much for anyone to overcome. I don't think 2 players should be that point for the Vikings though, even if those 2 players are both OL.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#227 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

The NFL is considering a 15 yard penalty for kneeling during the national anthem.

We are so weak, emotionally, as a nation, that we will potentially penalize sports' teams for having opinions out of game......

Proving, imo, that sports is really all about distracting the people, as has been said for thousands of years....

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#228 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

The NFL is considering a 15 yard penalty for kneeling during the national anthem.

We are so weak, emotionally, as a nation, that we will potentially penalize sports' teams for having opinions out of game......

Proving, imo, that sports is really all about distracting the people, as has been said for thousands of years....

Sports have always been about entertainment. I don't think that has ever changed. 

#229 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Sports have always been about entertainment. I don't think that has ever changed.

The reason governments find sports is to distract us from real events. That's been true since ancient Greece, according to the Greeks themselves. That's different than just being entertainment. Imo

#230 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

A 15 yard penalty is the dumbest thing I've heard.

They didn't think of this loophole....

What if they decline the penalty and kneel themselves?
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#231 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

Just eliminate the national anthem all together. There's no rhyme or reason for doing it in the first place other than collecting marketing dollars from military orgs that do F-16 flyovers and the canned "military parent comes home early" to surprise their kid, who, weird enough, is on the field waiting for something.

Edited by Vanimal46, 23 May 2018 - 01:36 PM.

• Mike Sixel and KirbyDome89 like this

#232 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

The reason governments find sports is to distract us from real events. That's been true since ancient Greece, according to the Greeks themselves. That's different than just being entertainment. Imo

Maybe we're talking past each other with the "distract us," part. I'm not a fan of tax payer dollars being soaked up by the NFL in any form, but I'm not sure if that's the distraction you're talking about.