Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Five Twins make Baseball America's Top 100

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

Nothing wrong with rose colored glasses. I wear them sometimes, proudly. Had 'em on Sunday. That's...... another something.

I'm just curious. When you wore your rose colored glasses on Sunday, did you perhaps think more highly of anything in particular than all the other prognosticators?;)

Just ribbing you a little. 

#62 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Personally, I wouldn't trade those four prospects for a #2/3 starter like Archer. I'm aware that all four of them might fizzle, but history tells me that this is a remote possibility, and that it's much much more likely that injury to Archer turns it into a lopsided trade that sets the organization back. Javier might fizzle in AA, but he also might be a perrennial All-Star (Sickles). Graterol is one of the most exciting low-level pitching prospects in all of baseball, according to many, and projects as a potential ace. Romero projects as one rotation slot from Archer in terms of ceiling, and as a possible back end reliever otherwise, and is a year away at most. Badoo is starting to draw some pretty impressive comparables himself.

Totally respect you take, but would disagree that history shows low level prospects have a better chance of making an impact at the major league level over a guy that has done it for 5 years.

Both those pitchers have had Tommy John, which I guess could be both a positive and negative,

The other 3 haven't yet made it out of short season ball yet. Graterol 51 total innings, Baddo 370 total at bats, Javier 210 plate appearances.

I like all of them and hope the heck you are right, but the probability of prospects show, Romero ends up in the pen, and one of the other 3 have a cup of coffee in the majors.

• birdwatcher likes this

#63 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Totally respect you take, but would disagree that history shows low level prospects have a better chance of making an impact at the major league level over a guy that has done it for 5 years.

Both those pitchers have had Tommy John, which I guess could be both a positive and negative,

The other 3 haven't yet made it out of short season ball yet. Graterol 51 total innings, Baddo 370 total at bats, Javier 210 plate appearances.

I like all of them and hope the heck you are right, but the probability of prospects show, Romero ends up in the pen, and one of the other 3 have a cup of coffee in the majors.

I get this, although my sense is that there's a high probability that at least one of those four does better than a cup of coffee or a spot as a commodity in the pen. Badoo could very well end up being another Joe Benson, who also occupied a spot at the back end of the top 100 lists. But it's important to consider that all of these guys also occupied spots at the tail end of BA's list at one point: Archer (89, 2011), Arrieta (99, 2010), Andrelton Simmons (92, 2011), Kimbrel (86, 2012). While I'm not directly comparing Graterol, Romero, Javier, and Badoo to any of these guys, there's enough similarity, I think, to validate the argument here.

The questions I ask myself are, how likely is it that at least one of those guys ends up realizing the ceiling they have, which is at least somewhat similar to the names I just mentioned, and then how likely is it that Archer avoids the kind of injury that derails so many pitchers? Frankly, it's the second question that is more concerning to me.

This is why I want Jimmy Pohlad to cut a check for a FA starter. If that guy gets hurt, it's just Jimmy's money. 

Edited by birdwatcher, 24 January 2018 - 10:50 AM.

• h2oface and Tomj14 like this

#64 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Just one prospect out of the top ninety is nothing to get real excited about guys.

you can get excited about whatever you want.I'd rather not have someone tell me what I should or should not get excited about.

#65 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

you can get excited about whatever you want.I'd rather not have someone tell me what I should or should not get excited about.

OK, fair enough. I'm not excited, how about you?

#66 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

OK, fair enough. I'm not excited, how about you?

Yes, so much so that it probably shouldn't be described on a family website

• Han Joelo, Twins33, 70charger and 1 other like this