Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

OFFICIAL (UNOFFICIAL) OFFICIAL PHILLY MINNESOTA VIKINGS PRE GAME MEET UP

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Well before you said he was really good. He was the 248th highest paid player in football this year. I guess my standard for a really good player is a much smaller percentile of the league than you. It's a small contract for a FA player.

If the Jags are only good against the pass because teams don't need to pass against them, that seems like a really dumb strategy, since they made it just as far as we did. I could see that argument if they were 3-13 or something.

It can be true that the Jags were very good against the pass and true that their numbers are helped by the fact that they had a bad run defense.  

The Vikings were good at both.And their numbers on third down are maybe the best indicator of all on just how good they were as a unit against the pass.

#102 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Why is there a consensus that Waynes is good? I'd put him average. Still, even if he is good, you need another average corner. A great corner, good corner, and disasters is not good enough. Add another at least average corner, a good d lineman and see how the defense looks.

The offense is pretty clear too. The line struggled despite playing well all year. Maybe an upgrade at guard. Cook will be back, and will hopefully add another dimension Murray and McKinnon don't have. I don't see diggs and theilen being big time guys. There are obviously flaws with keenum too. I don't think there is a contest between teddy, Bradford or keenum. Keenum wins that job. It should be keenum vs a free agent, and at a good price.

Newman wasn't a disaster.He was solid.You don't end up giving up less than 200 yards a game through the air regularly playing "disasters".  

And yeah, from about the 3rd/4th game on....Waynes was good despite a heavy amount of targets.Really good against the run too.

• DaveW likes this

#103 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

Newman wasn't a disaster. He was solid. You don't end up giving up less than 200 yards a game through the air regularly playing "disasters".

And yeah, from about the 3rd/4th game on....Waynes was good despite a heavy amount of targets. Really good against the run too.

I think he's assuming Newman retires, and the disaster guy is Alexander.

Edit: Just realized he pluralized disaster, so maybe not.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 22 January 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#104 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

It can be true that the Jags were very good against the pass and true that their numbers are helped by the fact that they had a bad run defense.

The Vikings were good at both. And their numbers on third down are maybe the best indicator of all on just how good they were as a unit against the pass.

But the Jags weren't just the best against the pass. They were the best by an insane margin. The gulf from 1st to 2nd is as wide as the gulf from 2nd to 13th is.

#105 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

But the Jags weren't just the best against the pass. They were the best by an insane margin. The gulf from 1st to 2nd is as wide as the gulf from 2nd to 13th is.

Teams ran on them for an average of 120 yards per game.They were a below average run defense.  

They gave up roughly 35-40 yards more a game on the ground than we did, which accounts for that gap.  

But the Jags were great - they have two amazing CBs.To give up anything less than 200 yards per game in the air in this era of football is great.Plain and simple.And Sendejo, Waynes, and Newman are part of that too.

#106 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Waynes was really really good this year. The Vikings have the best secondary in football heading into next year, but they still need to aim a bit higher. Newman was 'meh' but he needs to probably retired. Alexander was terrible, but he's young, and Waynes was dreadful early on as well. So maybe Zim can work some magic with him.

I'd still look for another solid nickel type guy.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR