Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Players’ Union Rejects Pace Of Play Proposals

rob manfred pace of play mlb rules pitch clock
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

Good thing no one said that.Baseball is concerned about their demographics and about the sport getting a rep for being slow and dull.

And they should be.Those aren't things you wear like a badge of honor if you want to stay relevant.

Sure, like any business would do.I wouldn't call the current state of affairs "alarming" as you did, but to each his own.I'll drop this aside.

#102 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,894 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

This seems like a hard thing to quantify. Are plate appearances timed? If so, for how long have they been timing them?

There have been various studies. Here is one:

https://www.beyondth...visual-analysis

Among his conclusions:

• the time between pitches has increased by 1.5 seconds since 2007, which amounts to almost eight minutes a game.
  • game length has increased when holding constant the number of plate appearances

Take a look and see what you think.

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#103 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

I went to a game on Sunday between the Charlotte Knights (White Sox AAA) and Norfolk Tides (Orioles) and saw some of the rule changes in person for the first time and i gotta admit i love it. The innings breaks are max. 2min. 25 seconds and the pitchers have 20 seconds between batters to begin motion. It really does keep the game moving at a good pace and it's awesome. IMO that's how the game was meant to be played and was played long before TV and all the damn commercials. The game i went to was about 2hrs 15 minutes.MLB could learn a thing or two from AAA.  

Edited by laloesch, 02 May 2018 - 10:26 AM.

• TheLeviathan, spycake and Vanimal46 like this

#104 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,220 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

I went to a game on Sunday between the Charlotte Knights (White Sox AAA) and Norfolk Tides (Orioles) and saw some of the rule changes in person for the first time and i gotta admit i love it. The innings breaks are max. 2min. 25 seconds and the pitchers have 20 seconds between batters to begin motion. It really does keep the game moving at a good pace and it's awesome. IMO that's how the game was meant to be played and was played long before TV and all the damn commercials. The game i went to was about 2hrs 15 minutes. MLB could learn a thing or two from AAA.

Couldn't agree more. Round Rock Express games (Rangers AAA) are a delight to attend. The longest game I've seen was maybe 3 hours which took extra innings to finish.

It's not just the pitchers in MLB that are slowing down pace. Batters contribute to the problem too by constantly stepping out of the box adjusting their gloves, helmet, etc.

Edited by Vanimal46, 02 May 2018 - 05:37 PM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rob manfred, pace of play, mlb rules, pitch clock