Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hammond Happenings 2018

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,485 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

First I’ve heard that about Buxton.

Then you haven't read Halsey before. :)

• Halsey Hall and GP830 like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#22 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Many minor leaguers out again this morning, stretching, throwing and then some taking ground balls. Lewin Diaz was at first base, he's a sizable fellow.Later for the first time a mound was used as Navaretto caught Trevor May who was limited to 20 pitches.When asked about his return date he said mid May. A coupe others who mentioned their names were Blayne Enlow and Ryley Widell, both low minors pitchers. 

Edited by Halsey Hall, 24 January 2018 - 04:02 PM.

• Carole Keller, Thrylos, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

he gone!

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Those two were Navaretto, formerly a catcher,

Is it confirmed that Navaretto will not catch any more?Because the only thing he has going for him is his glove at catcher.He cannot hit his way out of a paper bag...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

No, not confirmed.Maybe they are looking at another position for him. 

• Thrylos likes this

he gone!

#25 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, as Buxton ages, I'm wondering how that will change. While the sheer talent he possesses gets him a good distance right now, I'm wondering when the realization will hit that that alone won't get it done as he gets older. 

True, nobody likes a slacker or a player who thinks he's "above" getting advice or putting in more of an effort. I have no idea what the full story could be, I just hope it's not some sort of bad attitude or laziness thing.That said, I'd rather see Buxton keeping some of his energy in "reserve" for the regular season and not going full throttle in spring training. Seeing how he has this tendency to bounce off outfield walls (not to mention the turf) I won't mind seeing him pace himself in February and March.

• Jham and MN_ExPat like this

#26 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Much the same today with a few new drills.One, they had the pitching machine on the field and it shot high fly balls to the outfielders,It's always fun to watch that machine shoot the balls way up in the air. After the outfielders were done, they did the same thing with three catchers.One whom only caught about half.It was pointed out how to hold the glove. 

Then Sano came out and took ground balls at third.It may have been is agent with him that told us that was the first time since August.After that he went to the hill for more work, most which was in the sand pit. 

he gone!

#27 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

True, nobody likes a slacker or a player who thinks he's "above" getting advice or putting in more of an effort. I have no idea what the full story could be, I just hope it's not some sort of bad attitude or laziness thing.That said, I'd rather see Buxton keeping some of his energy in "reserve" for the regular season and not going full throttle in spring training. Seeing how he has this tendency to bounce off outfield walls (not to mention the turf) I won't mind seeing him pace himself in February and March.

I think the second half of your comment makes the most sense. The first half doesn't line up with what we saw last year, when he overhauled his swing mid season at the ML level. There are also reports out there describing the work he puts in on defense during the offseason. So, I'm not worried about his effort.

#28 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

My original post was to point out how these things are documented, and it was well known that Buxton had slacked off.Last season he turned a corner and was much better in training and with the fans. So no need to be concerned with his effort. 

• Carole Keller, PseudoSABR, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

he gone!

#29 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

I asked Navaretto about that this morning, and he said they just like him to take ground balls, plus it's fun. 

• Thrylos likes this

he gone!

#30 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

The pitchers mound got used for the second time today, with Zach Little throwing, followed by Trevor May.I heard there are 27 more players going to show up on Monday.Kiriloff again took ground balls at first base this morning.Other than that, just the usual drills today. 

• big dog likes this

he gone!

#31 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

I asked Navaretto about that this morning, and he said they just like him to take ground balls, plus it's fun. 

I've seen them do that with other catchers over the years ... take some practice at first ... especially when doing drills on the TK half field.

• Thrylos likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#32 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

I've seen them do that with other catchers over the years ... take some practice at first ... especially when doing drills on the TK half field.

Yes, esp. in lower levels when teams have 3-4 catchers.They like to rotate them to 1B and DH and have each catch 25-40% of the time, depending on the level.

• Carole Keller, Halsey Hall and MN_ExPat like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#33 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:01 AM

Still waiting for that Nick Blackburn sighting!

#34 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the posts, Halsey.It's just like being there, except I don't have palm trees, warm weather, and fresh seafood here in my basement.

OK, it's nothing like being there, but it's a lot better than just being in my basement without any baseball news.

#35 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,485 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

and fresh seafood here in my basement.

They don't build basements in Florida, probably for that very reason.

• Thrylos, twinsin17, big dog and 2 others like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#36 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Well, made it back out there today after being sidelined with a Kidney stone.Still in a lot of pain.Seemed like 40 or so guys today, with running drills.One was a run of about 20 yards, at first at 50 percent, then 75, and then 100%.Wander won all his races.I didn't follow them when the moved to another field, but before long more were where I was watching, including Sano.They chased footballs up the hill.Not sure if I'll make it tomorrow or go to the ER, but have to get this stone taken care of. 

• TRex and tarheeltwinsfan like this

he gone!

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

Well, made it back out there today after being sidelined with a Kidney stone. Still in a lot of pain. Seemed like 40 or so guys today, with running drills. One was a run of about 20 yards, at first at 50 percent, then 75, and then 100%. Wander won all his races. I didn't follow them when the moved to another field, but before long more were where I was watching, including Sano. They chased footballs up the hill. Not sure if I'll make it tomorrow or go to the ER, but have to get this stone taken care of.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Halsey!
  • PseudoSABR, Halsey Hall and MN_ExPat like this

#38 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well, made it back out there today after being sidelined with a Kidney stone.Still in a lot of pain.

Sorry Halsey. Hope you get some relief soon. I started to attempt to make a joke about getting some relief soon, but thought better of it. Kidney stones are no laughing matter.

• ashburyjohn, PseudoSABR, Halsey Hall and 1 other like this

#39 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Halsey, How are you doing health wise? I hope you are OK..

#40 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

After 4 days in the hospital I made it back out today.Not feeling the best but not in a bed.They, a few, took batting practice for the first time today.Sano, LaMonte Wade, and two more.All looked rusty but Wade.Mays pitched off the mound again today, and Sano took grounders at third.I can't help but wonder when some other ML'ers will show up.It was good to be out there.

• Carole Keller, Yoke, Thrylos and 7 others like this

he gone!