Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hammond Happenings 2018

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

I got here Sunday night, nothing going on Monday.But today there was some action.I talked with Thorpe, and mentioned I'd escaped the bitter cold. He said he had to go on the caravan and would wear layers.Good idea.Gibson played catch with someone.But most of my time was watching a trainer work Sano. He had him on his back and did a lot of leg work, stretching forever.His legs are massive! A medicine ball was also used during this. Then, as maybe 6 or 8 players had done before, the trainer had Sano pull weights. There is a harness with 2 straps that are about 12 long and at the end a round fabric of sorts. On that are strapped weights, 90 pounds for Miguel. Then he tries to run dragging that along behind him. Some of the others that did that were exhausted, with less weight. After doing that for a while, then Sano had to back up the hill, pulling the weight up, and then down and up again, over and over. 

He did come over and greet me, and looks in great shape this spring.Said he was feeling good. I doubt he'll be doing those exercises tomorrow as he should be quite sore from this day.Anyway, It's good to be here and getting back into the swing of things. 

I hope anyone that comes down will add their experiences to this thread. 

• Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 25 others like this

he gone!

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

where was all of that going on?

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Thanks, Halsey!

I look forward to your reports each year. It's fun to hear who's there doing what ... gets me 'in the mood' for ST!

I  poked around last week ... fantasy camp was going on down on the minor league fields. I didn't go down that way ... didn't really have the time. No one else was really around, but then, I didn't really hang out at all.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

where was all of that going on?

My guess is the training hill ... do you know where that is? Next to the training facilities down by the minor league fields.

• Thrylos and Halsey Hall like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

This was going on on the hill. 

• Thrylos and Tom Froemming like this

he gone!

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the report Halsey! Sounds like Sano's rehab is progressing nicely. Does anyone know if the titanium rod is still implanted in his leg?

*cough* Heezy Batman signal *cough*

Edited by Vanimal46, 17 January 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the report Halsey! Sounds like Sano's rehab is progressing nicely. Does anyone know if the titanium rod is still implanted in his leg?

*cough* Heezy Batman signal *cough*

I think it's a permanent thing, yes?

#8 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I think it's a permanent thing, yes?

Yeah, it's in his leg permanently.
  • Carole Keller, Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this

#9 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

I was late today, 9:30, and all was over.I was told Phil Hughes threw as did Gibson.Last year they played catch a lot, so same o same o. 

• Carole Keller and GP830 like this

he gone!

#10 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, it's in his leg permanently.

He has a special training team, who should improve his contact and speed. They’re called his Rod Crew.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 17 January 2018 - 04:11 PM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, birdwatcher and 12 others like this

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,084 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I got here Sunday night, nothing going on Monday.But today there was some action.I talked with Thorpe, and mentioned I'd escaped the bitter cold. He said he had to go on the caravan and would wear layers.Good idea.Gibson played catch with someone.But most of my time was watching a trainer work Sano. He had him on his back and did a lot of leg work, stretching forever.His legs are massive! A medicine ball was also used during this. Then, as maybe 6 or 8 players had done before, the trainer had Sano pull weights. There is a harness with 2 straps that are about 12 long and at the end a round fabric of sorts. On that are strapped weights, 90 pounds for Miguel. Then he tries to run dragging that along behind him. Some of the others that did that were exhausted, with less weight. After doing that for a while, then Sano had to back up the hill, pulling the weight up, and then down and up again, over and over. 

He did come over and greet me, and looks in great shape this spring.Said he was feeling good. I doubt he'll be doing those exercises tomorrow as he should be quite sore from this day.Anyway, It's good to be here and getting back into the swing of things. 

I hope anyone that comes down will add their experiences to this thread. 

Always look forward to reading these reports from the back fields. I won't get down there until the 17th this year... I can't wait!

• Carole Keller and Halsey Hall like this

#12 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

47 degrees this morning. 20 players worked out. Running drills now some in the batting cages.

he gone!

#13 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

I didn't recognize anyone.

he gone!

#14 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Just seeing the title "Hammond Happenings" made me smile. Thanks for that report! It's getting closer to February and the magical smell of Spring Training is in the air. One of my favorite times of the year. I can't wait!

• ashburyjohn, James, 70charger and 5 others like this

#15 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Not aa soul here on the weekend..I expect some after twins fest. 

he gone!

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Not aa soul here on the weekend..I expect some after twins fest.

It’ll really pick up this coming week ... and you’ll have to take notes to tell us everything :)

#17 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

Action today.There were a bunch of guys playing long toss when I got here.Two were Kyle Gibson and Louis Thorpe, so back from Twins fest quickly.                                                                  

After that Toby Gardenhire had some infielders fielding ground balls on the half field.Three at SS, one at 2nd, and two at first base.Those two were Navaretto, formerly a catcher, and Nelson Molina.They all took a lot of ground balls. 

As they finished, Trevor May came out and did long toss with a trainer, then ran when finished throwing. 

Something interesting.There were 3 of us observers today, a friend photographer, and a scout who's around alot.He had heard May was progressing nicely. 

When May was done Sano came out and played catch with a trainer, or coach.After a while he had enought and went into the weight room.The scout told us that both the trainer and the coach make reports on everything they are involved in.If a player isn't putting out the report may read 80%.If a player doesn't care to do a drill, that is recorded also.Some guys work to hard and are told to cut it down and others don't do enough.It's all documented.My friend mentioned he heard Buxton was one who did as little as possible, and the scout confirmed that, and said everyone knows that with all these reports. 

Learn something new everyday it seems. 

Oh also, catchers worked on blocking drills in the batting cages. 

Edited by Halsey Hall, 22 January 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• NoCryingInBaseball, Vanimal46 and MN_ExPat like this

he gone!

#18 bunsen82

bunsen82

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Its amazing how much god given talent Buxton has.Minimal effort and great outcomes defensively, improving outcomes with the bat.Will the effort change or remain the same, and is the new Twins front office willing to put up with that.Very interesting. 

#19 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Its amazing how much god given talent Buxton has.Minimal effort and great outcomes defensively, improving outcomes with the bat.Will the effort change or remain the same, and is the new Twins front office willing to put up with that.Very interesting. 

Yeah, as Buxton ages, I'm wondering how that will change. While the sheer talent he possesses gets him a good distance right now, I'm wondering when the realization will hit that that alone won't get it done as he gets older. 

• MN_ExPat and Doctor Wu like this

#20 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

That’s dissapointing hear. First I’ve heard that about Buxton.