Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Exploring The Back-End Of The 40-Man Roster

kennys vargas gabriel moya tyler kinley dietrich enns buddy boshers
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 306 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

Bye Bye Buddy

• nmcowboy and bighat like this

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,706 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Kinley made no sense when they drafted him - we had too many good minor league arms to justify having him clog the bullpen for a year.Now that they have signed three veteran BP arms he is definitely not worth keeping.

I agree on Boshers and I am afraid that soon Slegers will be a minor league star and a major league bust.He seems perfect for an Asian trial.  

I am also hoping that after the starter sweepstakes ends we do not do any more adding and keep developing our young talent. 

• darin617 and nmcowboy like this

#23 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,236 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Not sure why people are mentioning Slegers. Even if you don't believe in him, he still has potential to be a major league pitcher and there is no reason to remove him right now. There are definitely other 40 man options that make a lot more sense.

• Twins33, bluechipper, LA VIkes Fan and 4 others like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#24 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,342 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

I could see wasting a 25 man spot for future success if the Twins were anticipating being a bad team this year. But since it appears that they are going to be in the running, they should probably drop the rule 5 guy.
  • sploorp likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,223 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Did see a quick retraction (or is it a retwaction when it's on twitter) from Berardino 

What's your take on how the 40-man dilemma will shake out Seth? 

We are going to know in the next day or two.

#26 Tommygun921

Tommygun921

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

It'll be Boshers and then Kinley. Definitely will not be Moya. I wish the Twins would trade Grossman and give big Kennys a real chance to be the everyday (most days) DH. But trade Grossman with adding another position player to take his place. Preferably someone with more defensive value. Enns may be on the bubble as well but I think they want to see more from him before letting him go.
  • big dog likes this

#27 AKTwins

AKTwins

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Boshers is #1 and everyone else is a distant #2 until they have to make another decision. I can't believe Moyà would even be mentioned. I would rather release Grossman than Moyà. At least we have Granite to replace Grossman. Good Lefties don't grow on trees. There are a lot of Bosher types out there.
  • nmcowboy likes this

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Just a Guy

• 22,777 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Kinley would be #1 on my list. 

Unless Falvey and Lavine are sure he is the next Johan Santana.

His selection made very little sense and when it happened it scared the hell out of me. I thought to myself... OMG... the Twins just committed a 25 man spot to a project. It was the exact opposite of the direction I wouldn't them to go.

I kept thinking if the Twins were going to improve that bullpen.. .they wouldn't have given a spot to this Kinley experiment. 

Thank Goodness the Twins have signed Addison Reed who can effectively force the experiment off the roster. 

It should be Kinley first

Boshers 2nd. 

• brvama, big dog, DocBauer and 3 others like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club
Founded 4-23-16

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#29 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• 279 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

The team should return or trade the rule 5 pick Kinley first. You would only lose one player from the 40 man roster. By keeping Kinley and waiving anyone else you potentially could lose two players on this one decision. You would lose the waived player plus Kinley as well if he doesn't make the 25 man roster.

A trade to attempt to keep Kinley won't work in this case because he would have to pass through waivers after being removed from the 40 man roster to make room for Reed.

#30 Bill Tanner

Bill Tanner

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Moya's name was only thrown out there by Berardino as speculation of him not coming to Twins Fest next weekend. There is no way that they would drop him at this point. Two other lefties on the 40 man would be dropped before him.

I really don't like how Berardino communicated his speculative prediction.  Setting aside the head-scratching logic, why state only that the odd man out could be Moya?  He should have at least provide the bizarre reasoning...or stated Moya's absence as an independent fact for readers to draw their own conclusions.

#31 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Boshers is #1 and everyone else is a distant #2 until they have to make another decision. I can't believe Moyà would even be mentioned. I would rather release Grossman than Moyà. At least we have Granite to replace Grossman. Good Lefties don't grow on trees. There are a lot of Bosher types out there.

Had to do a double take. Thought I posted this and didn’t remember it
  • ashbury and tvagle like this

#32 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,077 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Kinley would be #1 on my list.

Unless Falvey and Lavine are sure he is the next Johan Santana.

His selection made very little sense and when it happened it scared the hell out of me. I thought to myself... OMG... the Twins just committed a 25 man spot to a project. It was the exact opposite of the direction I wouldn't them to go.

I kept thinking if the Twins were going to improve that bullpen.. .they wouldn't have given a spot to this Kinley experiment.

Thank Goodness the Twins have signed Addison Reed who can effectively force the experiment off the roster.

It should be Kinley first

Boshers 2nd.

100% This!

No room when he was selected in the first place!

And while Boshers is nothing special, and will be gone fairly soon, (barring a trade), after the next acquisition, he is at.lrast a useful player if not overexposed.
  • brvama, Riverbrian, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#33 sploorp

sploorp

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

I agree that Boshers and Kinley are the first two, but would have to put Kinley as my first choice to make room for Reed.If the Twins are actually going for it, there is just no room for a project arm in the bullpen.If the team is that high on Kinley, go back and work out a trade after the season starts.

• DocBauer and KirbyDome89 like this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,760 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Never understood the kinley selection in the first place.
  • Danchat and KirbyDome89 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,680 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

The Twins suddenly have TOO MANY bullpen arms. Closer: Rodney. Setup: Reed and Duke. Others: Hildenberger, Busenitz, Rogers, Pressly, Duffey. There's Chargois, Curtiss and Moya to start in the minors, perhaps. Kohn, Melotakis and Reed at Rochester. Baxendale, Jones, Nick Anderson with the Lookouts but should be at Rochester. Add in the return of Bard. Do you need Boshers AND Kinley?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#36 brvama

brvama

• 603 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

I would send Kinney back first. This process reminds me of playing some card games with my kids, like Spoons or Pig. As the cards are passed you try to get the best hand. Sometimes you have to change your strategy and hand because the cards aren't cooperating. I think they took a flyer on Kinney at the draft, but have seen other opportunities come along and are willing to move along with better options. So essentially, the draft of Kinney has morphed into Addison Reed.

#37 olepancoast

olepancoast

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Is Lewis Thorpe still on the 40 man?

#38 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Is Lewis Thorpe still on the 40 man?

Yes, he was just added in November.

#39 golfboy1

golfboy1

• 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Boshers seems like the #1 choice but can anyone clarify what is going on with Chargois? He's been taking up a spot & I have no idea if he will be able to pitch anytime soon. If he can't stay healthy I would think he might be #2 on the list

#40 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Boshers is a LOOGY under a manager who doesn't understand how to use a LOOGY. Of his 38 appearances, only 5 were to one batter and 7 to two. He pitched to more than 3 batters sixteen times!

Boshers would be OK on a different team, but even then he would be the first guy cut to make room for someone else.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kennys vargas, gabriel moya, tyler kinley, dietrich enns, buddy boshers