Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astros Expected to Acquire Gerrit Cole

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

You know, Cole is a free agent in 2 years, has made it clear he is not signing an extension in Pittsburgh, FA compensation rules have been watered down, and Cole just posted a 101 ERA+ (and 4 of his 5 career seasons are within 10% of that mark). That doesn't necessarily mean this is a good trade, but a lot of people seem to judging it on Cole's reputation rather than his on-field contributions. And ignoring the fact that Pittsburgh was running out of time to hope those two things came into better alignment in a meaningful way.

This is a really good point, Cole might not be much more than a league average starter, which is still quite valuable at those salaries, but not a difference maker. It seems they could have gotten less pieces, but one better piece from the Yankees, I wonder if that would have been a better way to go.

Overall just a strange market, with very few teams legitimately trying to buy. I wonder if this is the new way or just kind of a fluke of the competitive cycle. I suppose it is "smarter" but I don't know if it is better.

Papers...business papers.

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

I am not high on Mejia, but I guess I am higher on Musgrove than others. I think Pittsburgh has Musgrove penned into a rotation spot for 2018. Considering Pittsburgh was highly motivated to move Cole ASAP, it was not an awful deal, even though some baseball people are calling it that. I think the Twins could have worked something out close to Gordon/Grante/Jay, if not those specific pieces, something close. 

The Twins need to sign Darvish so that their complete uninterested in making a deal for Cole does not leave a bad taste in my mouth

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 15 January 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

I am not high on Mejia, but I guess I am higher on Musgrove than others. I think Pittsburgh has Musgrove penned into a rotation spot for 2018. Considering Pittsburgh was highly motivated to move Cole ASAP, it was not an awful deal, even though some baseball people are calling it that. I think the Twins could have worked something out close to Gordon/Grante/Jay, if not those specific pieces, something close. 

The Twins need to sign Darvish so that their complete uninterested in making a deal for Cole does not leave a bad taste in my mouth

I would much rather the Twins sign a free agent than make that trade (and I don't think that is quite enough either). The Twins are almost certainly going to get one of the main 4 free agent pitchers sitting out there, just need Darvish to make a decision so the dominoes can fall.

While Cole will have the much better contract, I don't think it's a sure thing he's a better player the next couple of year.

Papers...business papers.

#24 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Well, with the Yankees missing out on Cole, does that make them go harder after Darvish or Archer?  

I wouldn't mind this weird weird market to depress the trade value for Archer slightly...(I know, I know wishful thinking).

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

I would much rather the Twins sign a free agent than make that trade (and I don't think that is quite enough either). The Twins are almost certainly going to get one of the main 4 free agent pitchers sitting out there, just need Darvish to make a decision so the dominoes can fall.

While Cole will have the much better contract, I don't think it's a sure thing he's a better player the next couple of year.

That is a very fair opinion, and I think chances are good the Twins do sign Darvish (Cobb would be my next pref)

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Well, with the Yankees missing out on Cole, does that make them go harder after Darvish or Archer?  

I wouldn't mind this weird weird market to depress the trade value for Archer slightly...(I know, I know wishful thinking).

To your first point, no, I don't think so. But they are the Yankees so you never know.

#27 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Didn't the Yankees give Darvish a 48 hour window to sign their offer (one that expired by now)?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,953 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Verlander / Keuchel / Cole / McCullers / Peacock / McHugh / Morton

That's a hell of a rotation. Don't want to see that in the playoffs. 

#29 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

To your first point, no, I don't think so. But they are the Yankees so you never know.

Darvish personally (on twitter) shot that down.

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Verlander / Keuchel / Cole / McCullers / Peacock / McHugh / Morton

That's a hell of a rotation. Don't want to see that in the playoffs. 

We won't, unless we reach the ALCS. In the Divisional Series, it's only 5 games.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,953 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs made me pause for a bit and rethink the Cole trade.

"The Gerrit Cole Trade Has a Perception Problem"