Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Rosenthal: Twins Agree to Deal With Addison Reed

addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#81 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

"It was a dark and stormy offseason..."

Free agency 2017-18: “It’s all I can do, to keep waiting for you. . .”
  • ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#82 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Can't they DFA him? Nobody would take his contract if he went on waivers and he'd need to report to Roch to collect his money wouldn't he? At least he'd get innings and could prove he's worth something or not.

Nope.Because of service time he can elect to become a free agent, with the Twins eating the $32M

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#83 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,196 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

This will make some interesting situations come Spring Training:

The fact that the Twins have offered arbitration to and agreed to contracts with Grossman, Adrianza, Escobar and need a back up catcher, and Vargas is out of options, they cannot go with an 8 man bullpen, unless they make a trade.

Under contract and out of options starters: Santana, Gibson, Hughes

Under contract and starters with options:Mejia, May, Berrios

Under contract and out of options relievers:Rodney, Reed, Duke, Pressly, Boshers, Kinley (effectively)

Under contract and starters with options: Duffey, Rogers, Hildy, Chargois, Enns, Slegers, Moya

I suspect that Berrios starting is a given.There are 6 RPs without options in the pen.Unless they get another starter Hughes/Mejia/May are fighting for 2 spots in the rotation and the loser will get the last spot on the pen or get optioned.This means that only one of Duffey, Rogers, Chargois, Hildy can start in the majors, unless they make a trade.

That's why the Twins should be all over the phone trying to make trades at this point.

The bullpen is often a numbers game, it's nice to be on the right side of that, but you're right that there is going to be quite a crunch for roster spots.I don't see how Rogers and Hildy are left off unless they implode this spring, but I guess we'll see what happens.

#84 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

Great signing.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#85 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Nope.Because of service time he can elect to become a free agent, with the Twins eating the $32M

You make this sound like "a bad thing"--it isn't!

#86 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Slightly bigger point to 2019

Castro $8M
Santana $14M option (with vesting?)
Rodney $.25M
Pineda $8M
Hughes $13.2M
Park $3M (unless someone can show where it has been voided)

Sorry to say but that's $54.95M for those 6...3 of who may not contribute at all

Just a little sun shower on an otherwise Bright Sunshiny Day!

Did you seriously list Rodney’s $250k

#87 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Did you seriously list Rodney’s $250k

A quarter's still a quarter:)

• nytwinsfan likes this

Is it 2020 yet?

#88 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

Time to trade Rodney. He surely will be whining if he was promised to be the closer, and if he closes instead of Reed.......... argh. Reed as an Andrew Miller? I guess I still can't bring myself to accept that Rodney will be the Twins' closer. 

Edited by h2oface, 14 January 2018 - 04:22 AM.

#89 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

Good to see the Twins "arming" themselves in preparation for the 2018 season.Nice pick-up.

#90 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Slightly bigger point to 2019

Castro $8M
Rodney $.25M
Pineda $8M
Hughes $13.2M

Sorry to say but that's $54.95M for those 6...3 of who may not contribute at all

Just a little sun shower on an otherwise Bright Sunshiny Day!

I keep getting a different total than you for those six.
  • ashburyjohn, diehardtwinsfan and dbminn like this

#91 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

Twins should have no problem pushing to $135mil if a Darvish deal is on acceptable terms (especially years).

I'm not much of a fan of multiyear deals for free agent relievers, but it does seem like they got a good deal compared to earlier signings.

Totally agree on the multi-year thing, and also the good deal aspect of this signing. In fact, I like getting Reed much more than adding Rodney. Seems like a better fit for the club's needs.

• sploorp likes this

#92 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Time to trade Rodney. He surely will be whining if he was promised to be the closer, and if he closes instead of Reed.......... argh. Reed as an Andrew Miller? I guess I still can't bring myself to accept that Rodney will be the Twins' closer. 

They already said Rodney is still the closer. 

• sploorp likes this

#93 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

Can't they DFA him? Nobody would take his contract if he went on waivers and he'd need to report to Roch to collect his money wouldn't he? At least he'd get innings and could prove he's worth something or not.

not if he’s injured

#94 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

I don't get why we care about term, of course we would all rather sign Darvish to a 3 year 72 million dollar deal then 6 year 144 but we wouldn't be able to get 3 and 72 it would be more like 3 and 100 getting 3 extra years for 44 while not ideal might pay off and might not but it's only 44 additional dollars no matter what the actual structure of the contract is.The dollar amounts thrown around are not so crazy that we should be afraid, Darvish isn't Kershaw or Santana in his prime but based on the contracts thrown around in the past you would think it would take 200-250 to get this done and it sounds like it will be nowhere near that.I'm already pumped and ready for the season to start with the Reed signing, lets finish off free agency with a bang.

• sploorp likes this

#95 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

I'd rather see the Twins use Reed in the highest leverage situations (Like Andrew Miller) and let Rodney have the ninth.

Agreed. He will be their best reliever by far. Let's go to highest and best use.
  • Otwins and sploorp like this

#96 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

Sigh. We are already slamming the character of a player before he has put on a Twins uniform.

Any man who has pitched successfully into their 40s has done so by being extremely dedicated to their craft continually learning and working hard. There are accounts from the DBacks and others that he has helped the younger pitchers on the team because that is how he was treated when he arrived. That points to a good teammate.

It is the Twins management that negotiated this deal and made commitments to Rodney. If they told him he would be used as a closer that is on them. Let’s question the wisdom of the front office. Rodney did not force them into the commitment.

• ashburyjohn, beckmt, Oxtung and 12 others like this

#97 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

Sigh. We are already slamming the character of a player before he has put on a Twins uniform.

Mod note: While Fernando Rodney is undoubtedly affected by the signing of Reed, ditto the chances of signing Darvish, and it's fair to delve here into those baseball ramifications, I'd like to ask everyone that we not go from one tangent into a further tangent about Rodney's character or reactions to it. It's a fair topic if someone wants to launch a new thread, either as a baseball topic in this Twins forum area, or as a sociological one in the Sports Bar forum if you're of that bent. The subject here is the signing of Addison Reed, broadly construed.

• glunn, sploorp and MN_ExPat like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#98 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I keep getting a different total than you for those six.

Forgot to include Reed Thanks for the cross check

Reed $8.5M (Guesstimate on how contract is broken down)

Castro $8M

Rodney $.25M

Pineda $8M

Hughes $13.2M

$54.95M

• ashburyjohn and glunn like this

Is it 2020 yet?

#99 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Forgot to include Reed Thanks for the cross check

Reed $8.5M (Guesstimate on how contract is broken down)

Castro $8M

Rodney $.25M

Pineda $8M

Hughes $13.2M

$54.95M

Chances are that three of them may not be doing anything with the Twins in 2019.Rodney (with his meager buyout), along with Hughes and Park.

If Rodney works out in a reliever role, he could be a bargain for 2018 and 2019. The Hughes extension and Park signings were mistakes the new FO is going to have to deal with, though I thought I read Park left money on the table in order to leave.  

Anyway, I think the Reed signing is a very smart signing.

Edited by jimmer, 14 January 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#100 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Chances are that three of them may not be doing anything with the Twins in 2019.Rodney (with his meager buyout), along with Hughes and Park.

If Rodney works out in a reliever role, he could be a bargain for 2018 and 2019. The Hughes extension and Park signings were mistakes the new FO is going to have to deal with, though I thought I read Park left money on the table in order to leave.  

Anyway, I think the Reed signing is a very smart signing.

I like the Reed signing a lot. If Rodney bombs out they have another option for closer. In the meantime he can be a solid setup man. The one silver lining is that Hughes is only under contract through 2019. If he pitches well this season (a big if) they could always trade him to a team looking for a filler starter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: addison reed