Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Rosenthal: Twins Agree to Deal With Addison Reed

addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Matthew Lenz

Matthew Lenz

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, MN
  • Twitter: Lenzy2108

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Nico job Twins FO. The Twins bullpen is going to be solid this year, even if Rodney were to fall off a cliff for some reason. Now on to Yu!
  • birdwatcher, tarheeltwinsfan and nclahammer like this

#42 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

I don’t want to rain on this parade, but this has to mean theyre out of the running for Darvish. This team isn’t going to have a $135M payroll.

Why not? the Royals had a $140 million payroll last year which was the 15th highest payroll, smack dab in the middle of the league. Right behind them were the Rockies, Indians, and Astros with the Cardinals one spot ahead. The Twin Cities market is above all of those markets except Houston. I know the Pohlad's are notoriously cheap but windows can be short in the MLB and it looks like we are set to compete for at least the next few years. Also Levine/Falvey have made comments alluding to having a bigger budget this year so who knows

• birdwatcher, Twins33, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

#43 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Now, the dream for the GM would be to trade Hughes and someone like Enns for some Class A pitcher.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 13 January 2018 - 02:58 PM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#44 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

Pohlad School of Building Success (PS...BS)

1) Remind Upper Management of past commitment levels

2) Keep Boss's favorite peeps around while restructuring Baseball Ops

3) Exceed expectations in first season at the helm

4) Bring back former players that boss's kids got to hang around

5) Show the boss a little success while it appears you're cutting back

Results in....

One-time free pass to raise the payroll to 60% of revenue ($250M x 60%) $150M maximum 2018 payroll

Researching success of latest Pohlad films for next post

Edited by tvagle, 13 January 2018 - 03:02 PM.

• birdwatcher and Comrade Bork like this

Is it 2020 yet?

#45 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, this looks like a pretty incredible deal. Reed is three years younger than Davis, and here are their numbers the past three years combined:

Davis

169.1 IP

4.3 WAR

1.65 ERA

1.00 WHIP

3.19 K:BB

3.05 SIERA

Reed

209.2 IP

4.5 WAR

2.66 ERA

1.10 WHIP

4.64 K:BB

3.14 SIERA

I think their performance is a lot closer than a lot of people would've guessed, and I love that huge advantage Reed has in K:BB ratio. Straight up, of course you'd take Davis over Reed, but on the deals they signed Reed is the much better value in my eyes.

also some of Reed's ERA problem in Boston was due to Fenway (and a little bad luck). His HR to fly ball rate with the Mets was 9.4%, it was 20.8% with Boston. He is a typical FB pitcher and that will play up well at Target Field especially with Buxton around

• tarheeltwinsfan, dbminn, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

#46 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

I've never been anywhere near optimistic about the Twins signing Darvish, so with that in mind, I'm quite pleased that the Twins aren't just sitting on their hands, while they wait for him to decide. Every pitcher helps

• Monkeypaws, Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

I [heart] to fart

#47 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Reed and Darvish share that agency - very interesting. This offseason is unfolding like a bad, slow, poorly written novel but with some interesting stuff at the end.

MLBTR just quoted Luhnow/Astros as being "very happy" with their current roster: in other words, not interested in Darvish (my interpretation). Angels have not been linked to Darvish at all. Dodgers aren't interested. Good cases have been made why he's not returning to Texas or going to New York. Gotta be down to the Twins or Cubs.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and DannySD like this

#48 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,196 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

This team can afford 150M if they are actually serious.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

#49 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Gotta find some of that Gleeman optimism!

I don’t want to rain on this parade, but this has to mean theyre out of the running for Darvish. This team isn’t going to have a $135M payroll.
  • ashburyjohn, Thrylos, Sconnie and 1 other like this
I get my opinions from media guides.

#50 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'm of the belief that bullpen depth increases the value of every member of the bullpen by allowing better situational matchups for everyone. For that reason I was probably more sold on the Duke and Rodney signings then most. This is huge, now if we get one of those starters i almost think we are the division favorites.
  • birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#51 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

Don't forget the Twins are getting a $50 mill check from MLB this spring, so they should be able to bump up the payroll this year with how low it starts going into next year.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#52 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

This news made my Saturday. I was worried they were done in the bullpen. I’m smiling.

I’m guessing that Reed signs for less years to be a closer. Rodney will have a new role and his agent is probably calling to air grievances.

No way this takes them out on Darvish. Two Years around 8M per year. Should have no influence on a multi year 100 plus million deal.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#53 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

If I'm darvish I probably demand a move like this. It really feels like it might in a sense be a package deal. Prior to this news I might have thought 25-33% chance of darvish now I'm more like 50-75.
  • Jerr, Deduno Abides, sploorp and 1 other like this

#54 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

This will make some interesting situations come Spring Training:

The fact that the Twins have offered arbitration to and agreed to contracts with Grossman, Adrianza, Escobar and need a back up catcher, and Vargas is out of options, they cannot go with an 8 man bullpen, unless they make a trade.

Under contract and out of options starters: Santana, Gibson, Hughes

Under contract and starters with options:Mejia, May, Berrios

Under contract and out of options relievers:Rodney, Reed, Duke, Pressly, Boshers, Kinley (effectively)

Under contract and starters with options: Duffey, Rogers, Hildy, Chargois, Enns, Slegers, Moya

I suspect that Berrios starting is a given.There are 6 RPs without options in the pen.Unless they get another starter Hughes/Mejia/May are fighting for 2 spots in the rotation and the loser will get the last spot on the pen or get optioned.This means that only one of Duffey, Rogers, Chargois, Hildy can start in the majors, unless they make a trade.

That's why the Twins should be all over the phone trying to make trades at this point.

• Blake, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#55 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

For that reason I was probably more sold on the Duke and Rodney signings then most.

Sir Rodney, Sir Duke and Sir Addison! Veddy veddy British feel to the new bullpen, plus a little bit of swing thrown in. :)

• Riverbrian, ThejacKmp, Monkeypaws and 2 others like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#56 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Reed should be the closer?What about Rodney?I think of Rodney as one of those "closer-only" type dudes. Has Rodney ever been a setup man? It seems Reed could fit nicely into the 8th inning.

• ThejacKmp, Otwins and sploorp like this

#57 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Reed should be the closer?What about Rodney?I think of Rodney as one of those "closer-only" type dudes. Has Rodney ever been a setup man? It seems Reed could fit nicely into the 8th inning.

I'd rather see the Twins useReed in the highest leverage situations (Like Andrew Miller) and let Rodney have the ninth.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Mike Sixel and 19 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#58 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I don't really care who closes so long as Addison gets the outs that matter more often.Let Rodney have have the 2 and 3 run saves.If he blows those he won't have much claim to the spot.I don't really think it matters if they go back on their word to a 41 year old, but it's also not going to be much of a problem to live up to that word to the point that it creates no issues if things change.

• sploorp and bighat like this

#59 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

Thanks dudes, I agree with both of the comments above. Good answers.

#60 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Lets get arrieta!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: addison reed