Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino Tweet: Escobar Avoids Arbitration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Eduardo signs for $4.85M.

• Carole Keller, luckylager, glunn and 3 others like this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

$150K below TD's forecast in the Offseason Handbook. Where shall we invest the windfall?

• glunn, Riverbrian, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

That's a fair deal. Would still like to see them work out a 2 year deal, maybe with an option... but that's nice to have done. 

• glunn, diehardtwinsfan and Riverbrian like this

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

That's a fair deal. Would still like to see them work out a 2 year deal, maybe with an option... but that's nice to have done. 

Absolutely. I would even go as far as a 3 year deal right off the bat. It is difficult to predict where the Twins will need IF help in the next 2-3 seasons but Sano might not be a 3B, Dozier might be gone in a year, Gordon could be traded or struggle and Escobar provides a reasonably decent plan B everywhere. Or he could just be a 100-120 game/year supersub.

• Carole Keller, Yoke, diehardtwinsfan and 3 others like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#5 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Absolutely. I would even go as far as a 3 year deal right off the bat. It is difficult to predict where the Twins will need IF help in the next 2-3 seasons but Sano might not be a 3B, Dozier might be gone in a year, Gordon could be traded or struggle and Escobar provides a reasonably decent plan B everywhere. Or he could just be a 100-120 game/year supersub.

Agreed. And on top of that, he's just one of my favorites ... he's funny and keeps it light, but works hard. :)

• luckylager, Yoke, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#6 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

Agreed. And on top of that, he's just one of my favorites ... he's funny and keeps it light, but works hard. :)

I liked his face and reaction when that ball girl made a great play on a foul ball last season. He seems like a fun guy to be around and to have in the clubhouse.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,628 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

Agree completely. 

We need more than 9 starters. Escobar could be one of the 9 but he has also been huge as #10 over the years. 

He deserves to be paid. 

• diehardtwinsfan, DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

I liked his face and reaction when that ball girl made a great play on a foul ball last season. He seems like a fun guy to be around and to have in the clubhouse.

Watching him at ST when they are doing infield practices ... he does his work, as everyone does, but he also has some of the guys in stitches. He's just a fun player. A team needs a guy like that. Not that they should get someone who only does that, Esco has earned a spot with his play, imo.

• DocBauer likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

Good for everyone. He gets a nice pile of money, Twins get a nice UI-type player.

#10 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Good deal.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,228 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Good!Well deserved.Must be the only guy out there with 1.3 times as many HRs and doubles with both in double digits.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

Watching him at ST when they are doing infield practices ...

Watching him in BP is also fun. He devotes some time to the long ball, and has an obvious good time about it. I don't forecast him breaking the 20-HR mark every year, but he's a dangerous little hitter who will try to punish certain pitches in certain situations.

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

I'm glad he got paid, and hope he's he for a while. He's a nice utility player to have.

That said, I don't agree with anything more than year to year.
He's surpassed 1.3 WAR just once in his career.
At his best, he's a league average hitter with well below average defense. For his career, he's a significantly below average hitter (89 OPS+), and will be 30 years old when he hits free agency.

Not trying to disparage him. I like him, and hope he's around for as long as he's a solid utility player. Just feels unnecessary to go more than year to year. Is anyone really going to give him a big offer at age 30?

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I'm glad he got paid, and hope he's he for a while. He's a nice utility player to have.

That said, I don't agree with anything more than year to year.
He's surpassed 1.3 WAR just once in his career.
At his best, he's a league average hitter with well below average defense. For his career, he's a significantly below average hitter (89 OPS+), and will be 30 years old when he hits free agency.

Not trying to disparage him. I like him, and hope he's around for as long as he's a solid utility player. Just feels unnecessary to go more than year to year. Is anyone really going to give him a big offer at age 30?

It is likely that someone gives him an offer bigger than what an extension could be signed for.

And the issue is that then he isn't in the organization any longer. Infield depth looks good right now but Dozier is probably gone as a FA after the season and Sano sticking at 3B is a huge ? due to injury. Not to mention that one of the Twins best trade chips someone who could fill in at those positions. The Twins could very quickly find themselves lacking infield depth w/o Escobar.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis