Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Did Nick Gordon’s Second Half Turn Him From Prospect to Suspect?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

I get this from a team perspective, and it's fair. 

In the league sense though I don't buy it, and is why I included those rankings. He was a leadoff man so of course he's getting more plate appearances than most.

I'll single out the Total Bases. Of the top 40 in the southern league last year, only 4 players played fewer than 100 games. In the top 16 nobody had fewer than 119. 

Of the guys that "played [the] full season at one level" he is a standout in a lot of categories. It doesn't matter that they are the "counting stats" in this view (at least to me :))

I think this works for the majors, but you also have to look at which players moved on and which players moved into the league.

I was completely for drafting Gordon and have been on his bandwagon the last few years, but some of his shine has went away for me. He is 22 and looking at repeating AA (it seems to me most super studs have seen the majors by 22, I could be wrong on that)  and we still are not sure of his position. So I have no issue with him falling a bit in the Twins prospect list, but that is also why I am fine with trading him for pitching.

#42 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

I think this works for the majors, but you also have to look at which players moved on and which players moved into the league.

There's very few that come up as what I'd call "standouts" of these guys in my comparison: Ronald Acuna, Nick Senzel, Rudy Flores, Colin Walsh, Dalton Kelly, Kevin Madrano, Andy Wilkins.

Only Acuna and Senzel are worth talking about, and I don't think anyone would argue Gordon above them in a prospect comparison. I know what you're looking for, but that argument isn't there.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

It really is not about attacking the messenger (reporter in this case), everyone should have a list that reflects their own evaluation, but rather this is a fun list because it raises questions and therefore gives us the fun of speculation and discussion. I have no dislike for any of our MN reporters, the more articles the better for me.

Gordon at 8 is fine with me. I think his second half decline raised questions about the validity of the first half. Each year the reviews and reports seem to have a slightly less optimistic look at Gordon. It appears to me, if I combine the various TD and other reports that he will be a fine average major leaguer, but not a star. Which is fine, but it is nice to know that we actually have some others in the system now that have higher potential.

​My biggest question in Kirilloff. I want to hope, but I need a full season of ball to see where the injuries have put him. I am much higher on Rooker.

i like Rooker a lot, but he’s 23 with one professional season under his belt. Let’s see if he slows down when/if he gets to Nooga.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#44 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Warning: not expert commentary!

I saw a few snippets of video of Gordon batting this winter. He looks bigger and like he’s attacking the ball.

End warning.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 13 January 2018 - 11:36 AM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#45 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Warning: not expert commentary!

I saw a few snippets of video of Gordon batting this winter. He looks bigger and like he’s attacking the ball.

End warning.

How does a bigger-and-stronger Gordon impact his ability to remain at SS, do you suppose?

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#46 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

How does a bigger-and-stronger Gordon impact his ability to remain at SS, do you suppose?

Other than improving his overall value, who knows? Sticking at shortstop will probably depend on three variables:

1. His glove.
2. His bat.
3. Who else is on the team.

For example, if his bat is good and his defense is good enough, he’ll probably stick at shortstop, unless someone with a better glove and a good enough bat pushes him to second. Bobby Grich, a great fielder, was moved to second because the Orioles had a superlative fielder at shortstop and thought they could survive Belanger’s weak bat (which they did).

The Twins could also go down the path of thinking that Polanco has a good bat and good enough glove, with Dozier and other candidates to play second (Luis Arraez) and seem Gordon’s highest value to be as a trade chip, regardless of any improvement he shows, other than as it affects his trade value.

Things will shake out in 2018.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 13 January 2018 - 02:10 PM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#47 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

i like Rooker a lot, but he’s 23 with one professional season under his belt. Let’s see if he slows down when/if he gets to Nooga.

I agree, but I think his age and experience have him ready for a fast rise.I would love it.But all of minor league experience is filled with pitfalls and obstacles.Good luck Rooker!

• Sconnie likes this

#48 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Well, now we know why Gordon had a rough 2nd half, obviously he was working on his new rap album!  http://m.mlb.com/cut...hed-a-rap-albumMaybe he can record new walk-up music for Mauer in spring training.  

• Thrylos likes this

#49 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

I'm surprised to see Tyler Jay at #10. I'd probably have him fringe 20 at this point.The kid's stock has just plummet the last two seasons.I'd put Lewis Thorpe in at #10 or Zach Littell.  

#50 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Well, now we know why Gordon had a rough 2nd half, obviously he was working on his new rap album!  http://m.mlb.com/cut...hed-a-rap-albumMaybe he can record new walk-up music for Mauer in spring training.

It sounds like that episode of Friends when Ross said he was going to spend his summer vacation “working on my music.”
  • Twins33 and sftwinsfan like this