Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Baseball America Top 10

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Their projected 2021 team looks to be a fairly young team. I like that. Seemingly great depth for power, speed, and defense. I'm not sure of the power projections for Javier, but, I do remember reading something saying he could develop solid power.

The starting pitching also looks REALLY solid. I would prefer to see Thorpe over Mejia, but, if Mejia is the 5th starter over Thorpe, that's not a bad thing necessarily.

Judging by this list, I think it looks like Twins fans are in for a real treat for the next decade
  • birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I really liked this list.It is truly about ceiling, no confusion.My hope is that Lewis is so good he makes his MLB debut next year, even if just part of a year.I have watched the excitement about Gordon since we drafted him and so far have not been as excited about the numbers and things I read.He looks like a good pick, just not the potential star that Lewis is. 

Luckily we have moved on from the Wimmers and Levi years - I hope.  

The guy that might blow by the others on the list is Rooker.I like what I have seen and read.I think his bat will play in mlb quite soon.  

In this smokeless hot stove year its nice to have this to think about. 

• Doctor Wu likes this

#23 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Note that Lewis is named best defensive INF in the system. Opinions on Lewis' defensive acumen and where he'll eventually settle in defensively seem to be all over the place.

If you see divergent reports on where he will settle defensively, are you reading old, pre-draft reports.

Everything I've seen on him since the draft believe that the advances he made post-draft indicate he can not only stick, but could be very good at SS.

• Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#24 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

If you see divergent reports on where he will settle defensively, are you reading old, pre-draft reports.

Everything I've seen on him since the draft believe that the advances he made post-draft indicate he can not only stick, but could be very good at SS.

I think it had more to do with maximizing his strengths. He was fast and could cover a lot of ground, and had a lot to learn at SS. But if he's a great leader in the infield, has a drive to get better defensively, and the Twins have Buxton in CF, keep him at Short and you could have something special. 

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

there are still people saying he won't be a short stop. The fangraphs gut just said it in a chat. I don't think we know yet.
  • Ben Noble and jud6312 like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

You might be surprised how quickly the Wimmers and Levis return once the Twins start drafting in the mid-to-late 20s for several years in a row. Such is the rhythm of baseball...

• howieramone2 and snap4birds like this

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

You might be surprised how quickly the Wimmers and Levis return once the Twins start drafting in the mid-to-late 20s for several years in a row. Such is the rhythm of baseball...

It's important to note that many of the same talent evaluators were at the table for the later picks of Gonsalves, Rooker, and Enlow, all listed above, and for the drafts involving Wimmers and Levi (both reasonable picks), and also for the selection of a guy like Garver in the 9th round as the 19th catcher selected and possibly the top catcher from that draft. The points being that 1) sometimes you get the benefit of a talent-rich draft in the slot you have, and sometimes not; 2) sometimes you make a mistake (Matt Moses), and sometimes you look like a genius; and 3) sometimes it's just luck, good or bad.

• Seth Stohs, beckmt and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#28 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Kind of ridiculous to have Graterol so high and ahead of Romero and say, Lewis Thorpe, when he's literally pitched 5 games at Elizabethton. At least Baddoo and Javier each have 150 PAs in Elizabethton, although Javier being second is also ridiculous.

I would take Graterol over any pitcher not names Gonsalves, so I don't see a major issue there. Gordon's biggest outlier I see.

Playing time doesn't truly matter in ranking a prospect outside of showing a guy with "good, not elite" talent has maximized his talent through hard work, or whatever other attribute(s). Rankings are most about talent and impact. Heliot Ramos will almost certainly be the only Giants top 100 guy, and he was the guy for that before they made the Longoria trade as well, even though other guys have made it all the way to the majors behind him.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

I will give Berardino credit. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else do a 2-hour chat on the top 10 list before!!

https://www.baseball...hat/?1515589722

Edited by biggentleben, 10 January 2018 - 03:04 PM.

• nicksaviking and Oldgoat_MN like this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#30 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

Projecting Castro to extend for two more years and start in 2021 is interesting, especially IRT Garver.

There have to be other catchers available as FAs between now and then. Surprising to be projecting someone who will be on the downside.

I wonder if any of these rankings and assessments are based on hints from the FO. It seemed that LEN3 and others were often expressing FO attitudes during the TR era, wonder if Berardino has that angle now.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 10 January 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#31 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

I think it had more to do with maximizing his strengths. He was fast and could cover a lot of ground, and had a lot to learn at SS. But if he's a great leader in the infield, has a drive to get better defensively, and the Twins have Buxton in CF, keep him at Short and you could have something special. 

I watched Lewis ALOT during the GCL (even some before the GCL season) and at the beginning of the season it was pretty rough I'm not going to lie, boneheaded plays, booted balls, errant throws, etc. He looked out of his element at times despite being extremely athletic, let's put it this way he made fellow 2017 draftee Ricardo de la Torre look like Ozzie Smith out there. YetBy the time Royce got called up to Cedar Rapids, he looked like he could be a competent if not slightly above average SS.His footwork improved to the point where it looked like a completely different player and his speed and athletic ability let him get to balls that most can not and help make up for mistakes.His arm strength and accuracy are good enough to stay at SS, he just has a habit to "crow hop" his throws at times to 1B.He's never going to be a Gold Glover but if he keeps his workup there he can be a productive defensive MLB SS for a long time.

BA mentions his work ethic and it should not be understated, the first to the field and the last to leave, working with Perlozzo on his footwork and infield drills at 8 am, as well as advanced leadership skills and maturity for such a young kid.

• Seth Stohs, birdwatcher, clutterheart and 11 others like this

#32 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Berardino's comments on Gordon are pretty telling:

Based on conversations with people inside and outside the organization, I believe I have Gordon ranked precisely where he belongs. Doesn't mean he won't be a productive major leaguer.

Low ceiling but high floor.  

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#33 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

As a side note, I have a feeling that everyone is missing on Garver, who could probably rack up 10+ WAR at catcher over the next 6 years just by being decent.Developing major league catchers is hard, I'm not sure why Garver hasn't gotten more attention given how close he is, I have a feeling he'll end up being more valuable than at least 3 or 4 of the consensus top 10 guys.

Is 10+ WAR over 6 years supposed to be good? :-)

Edited by jimmer, 10 January 2018 - 05:11 PM.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#34 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

I will give Berardino credit. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else do a 2-hour chat on the top 10 list before!!

IMO we are lucky to have Berardino

• wagwan, biggentleben, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#35 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

You are right, Wimmers was 21, two ahead of Christian Yelich.Not a great draft position. And Levi Michaels was drafter #30.Not good choices, but the options were less at that point. 

#36 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

By some of the responses, I'm not sure why he even took the time.  Seemed like half were just cheeky non-responses to legitimate questions that I would have liked to hear his thoughts on.

#37 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Proximity to the majors clearly wasn't much of a factor.This is more like a Top 10 list of highest ceiling guys. 

You and many others must have missed the first tine of the article that went with the list.

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,882 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Note that Lewis is named best defensive INF in the system. Opinions on Lewis' defensive acumen and where he'll eventually settle in defensively seem to be all over the place.

As far as I am concerned, the only questionmark I have regarding Lewis' defense is his arm.I will wait until the coming SP to find out.Even as a LF if his arm does not cut it at SS, his value is still up there

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

I really liked this list.It is truly about ceiling, no confusion.My hope is that Lewis is so good he makes his MLB debut next year, even if just part of a year.I have watched the excitement about Gordon since we drafted him and so far have not been as excited about the numbers and things I read.He looks like a good pick, just not the potential star that Lewis is. 

The guy that might blow by the others on the list is Rooker.I like what I have seen and read.I think his bat will play in mlb quite soon.  

In this smokeless hot stove year its nice to have this to think about. 

Lewis/Gordon/Michael speaks to the difference between picking first overall and picking fourth overall and then picking 20th to 30th. All are first round picks, but they're very different. At 1 and two, you can get Buxton or Lewis (or A-Rod or Chipper or Delmon). Even dropping to 4-6, it's a lot different, and a guy taken in the 20s, you never know. 

But, again, the Gordon ranking may be about ceiling... but it doesn't factor in the floor. Gordon is going to be a solid MLB player (most likely)... he may not be a 10-time All Star, but he should be a good, starting player. 

• beckmt, mikelink45 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#40 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,882 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

I'd overall agree with Mike on this list.As far as I am concerned, and Mike actually mentioned it,Graterol is the only SP in the Twins' organization with number 1 potential.Romero has durability issues and there are questions regarding how Gonsalves' high fastball will play in the majors.I have seen enough of Javier to have him #1 in my 2017 list.The guy will be an exceptional player, and his power tool projects.Also agree with Rooker who actually might be ranked a bit too low and with Gordon.   

Nick Gordon's OPS never reached .750 in the minors. For comparison's purpose, at a younger age, Polanco had .903 OPS in E-town, .813 at Cedar Rapids, and .793 in Rochester as a 22 year old.Gordon is also projected to be more of a second baseman (considerations in both arm and range here) than a shortstop, and apparently these days he is interesting more in his potential singing career than in baseball.Might actually be ranked too high at this point.

Kirrilloff is ridiculously high, but this is not news, as far as my opinion of him goes :)  

Other than the Kirrilloff part, good list overall.   

• Oldgoat_MN likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98