Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Baseball America Top 10

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

Quite different than the typical list.

https://www.baseball...l4Cb4vSpVAQd.97

Aggressive on Javier, Graterol, not concerned about Kiriloff, not buying Gordon.

I don't necessarily agree, but I like breaking out of the typical lists.

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking and nytwinsfan like this
Papers...business papers.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Mike Berardino put the list together. I'm sure it's reviewed by the Baseball America prospect guys... Very interesting list...

Nick Gordon is too low. I know that. He's top 40 in several national rankings, yet #8 with the Twins? I don't know. I do like the guys ahead of him too, but 8 is too low. 

• Twins33, nytwinsfan, dbminn and 1 other like this

#3 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Kind of ridiculous to have Graterol so high and ahead of Romero and say, Lewis Thorpe, when he's literally pitched 5 games at Elizabethton. At least Baddoo and Javier each have 150 PAs in Elizabethton, although Javier being second is also ridiculous.

• Mike Sixel and bluechipper like this

#4 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Also, Polanco has not been "untrustworthy" at SS. Both Fangraphs and Baseball Reference say his defense was actually positive last year.Totally undermines the credibility of the list for me, to get something like that so clearly factually wrong.

• Mike Sixel, gil4, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#5 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Interesting list, looks like it might be the outlier this year.

After Lewis, I don't think there's any clear order, but I do think Gordon, Gonsalves, and Romero are in their own tier based on proximity, floor, etc, so it's a little surprising to see them so mixed up.

I like lists with diverging opinions on certain guys, but there's a lot of volatility in this one.If I'm judging list accuracy, I like to use WAR total over a player's arbitration and pre-arbitration years.It takes a long time to be able to judge, and there are always misses on guys where there is a consensus as a prospect, but I feel like this one will probably be significantly wrong just based on the volatility of the guys near the top of the list.

As a side note, I have a feeling that everyone is missing on Garver, who could probably rack up 10+ WAR at catcher over the next 6 years just by being decent.Developing major league catchers is hard, I'm not sure why Garver hasn't gotten more attention given how close he is, I have a feeling he'll end up being more valuable than at least 3 or 4 of the consensus top 10 guys.

• Oldgoat_MN and markos like this

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,162 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Interesting list. They are certainly high on Javier and Mayo had a similar article on him earlier this offseason, that I don't have a link to.BA was generally the low man on the Twins system last year (bottom third, IIRC) and I think they'll take a similar view this year with maybe only two players in their finished top 100?

I'm glad we have another list - both BA and Sickels are higher on Rooker than I thought we'd see (and Javier, too, but that might just have been my ignorance on him).

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

As a side note, I have a feeling that everyone is missing on Garver, who could probably rack up 10+ WAR at catcher over the next 6 years just by being decent.Developing major league catchers is hard, I'm not sure why Garver hasn't gotten more attention given how close he is, I have a feeling he'll end up being more valuable than at least 3 or 4 of the consensus top 10 guys.

If Berardino originated this list, then I have to believe the Mitch Garver omission is due to signals he is getting that the Twins decision makers dislike something deeply about his game.

• gunnarthor, beckmt and howieramone2 like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#8 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Proximity to the majors clearly wasn't much of a factor.This is more like a Top 10 list of highest ceiling guys. 

• Steve Lein, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 11 others like this

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

They way I see this list is that they are predicting Javier will be the starting 3B in 2021, Lewis starting SS and Gordon either not here or not a starter and by that they should be rated higher.

#10 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Note that Lewis is named best defensive INF in the system. Opinions on Lewis' defensive acumen and where he'll eventually settle in defensively seem to be all over the place.

• Han Joelo, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 7 others like this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Well this was the disclaimer right away:

For each organization, we identify the 10 prospects with the highest ceilings, with consideration given to the likelihood of reaching those ceilings.

So yeah, that list looks about right if they are putting the most weight on ceilings. Graterol is almost all ceiling and everyone has pretty much been saying since Day 1 that Gordon just has a really high floor but isn't going to excel in any one area.

But Lewis as the top INF defender? Yeah, take that pre-draft doubters. Good athletes can learn footwork. That always sounded like such a hollow criticism; if he didn't have good footwork, it's almost certainly due to not having elite instruction. Now he does.

• birdwatcher, BK432, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#12 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Proximity to the majors clearly wasn't much of a factor.This is more like a Top 10 list of highest ceiling guys. 

7 of the 10 they are predicting will be starters in 3 years says something about proximity?

• mikelink45 likes this

#13 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

But Lewis as the top INF defender? Yeah, take that pre-draft doubters. Good athletes can learn footwork. That always sounded like such a hollow criticism; if he didn't have good footwork, it's almost certainly due to not having elite instruction. Now he does.

The questions about his defense were more about arm strength rather than footwork. Though that also can improve through instruction.

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

7 of the 10 they are predicting will be starters in 3 years says something about proximity?

Three years is a long way away. Put another way, the possibility of contributing next year does not seem to be have been a factor in the list (e.g. Gordon, Romero, Jay, and Gonsalves (to a lesser extent) are ranked more poorly in this list than others)

#15 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

Considering Nick Blackburn once topped this list, it is no surprise there was a bit of a dark stretch.  Would Nick Blackburn circa 2009 have made this list at all?

With all the projecting with this list, I'm surprised Thorpe isn't on it.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Kind of ridiculous to have Graterol so high and ahead of Romero and say, Lewis Thorpe, when he's literally pitched 5 games at Elizabethton. At least Baddoo and Javier each have 150 PAs in Elizabethton, although Javier being second is also ridiculous.

Baseball America has always been about ceiling, and Javier has a very high ceiling... And Graterol easily has the highest ceiling among starting pitchers, with Romero a close second. So, I get the rankings. I just factor maybe too many other things into mind. But individually, I don't have a huge problem with the guys that are ahead of Gordon, but Gordon is way too low. 

• mikelink45 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

If Berardino originated this list, then I have to believe the Mitch Garver omission is due to signals he is getting that the Twins decision makers dislike something deeply about his game.

Or it could just be that he's 27 and a lot of people see him as a backup catcher, especially with Castro in the picture... Granted, there's nothing wrong with a backup catcher, and the reality is that some of these top 10 won't get to where Garver is right now. 

• gunnarthor and mikelink45 like this

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Considering Nick Blackburn once topped this list, it is no surprise there was a bit of a dark stretch.  Would Nick Blackburn circa 2009 have made this list at all?

With all the projecting with this list, I'm surprised Thorpe isn't on it.

I think I ranked Blackburn like 21 that year or something... then again, I may have had Tyler Robertson #1, so... that's the beauty of prospect ranking!

• Oldgoat_MN, kab21, Dman and 1 other like this

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Or it could just be that he's 27 and a lot of people see him as a backup catcher, especially with Castro in the picture... Granted, there's nothing wrong with a backup catcher, and the reality is that some of these top 10 won't get to where Garver is right now. 

Yeah, I wrote that before having it pointed out that this was a "high ceiling" list. Ironic, since the last time I commented on a ranked list I asked pointedly what the metric was, and here I failed to notice it when it was stated by the writer. :)

• Seth Stohs, biggentleben and Dman like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#20 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Note that Lewis is named best defensive INF in the system. Opinions on Lewis' defensive acumen and where he'll eventually settle in defensively seem to be all over the place.

Yeah, I don't know which local scribe was commissioned by them in 2006, but they would have had you believe that Trevor Plouffe was the best defensive infielder in the system at the time. 

Edit: on second glance, it was Berardino.

Edited by birdwatcher, 10 January 2018 - 11:45 AM.

• gil4 and nicksaviking like this