Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Hey Joe, What's Next?

minnesota twins joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

I think he sticks around. Even if he has a bad season, I wouldn't be surprised if he took a small deal to be a utility player.A lot though hinges on 2018. Another good year, and I could see him trying to stick around for 4-5 years for a shot at the 3000 hit club. That's probably his easiest way into the HOF.

Joe would need 160 hits/year for over 6 years to reach 3000 hits. He already has more hits than the average HOF catcher. I think another year with a BA > .300 will do it for him. And a Gold Glove at 1B wouldn't hurt.

He just needs to retire before he has 2 more seasons hitting < .270. Go out strong!

• ThejacKmp likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#22 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Joe would need 160 hits/year for over 6 years to reach 3000 hits. He already has more hits than the average HOF catcher. I think another year with a BA > .300 will do it for him. And a Gold Glove at 1B wouldn't hurt.

He just needs to retire before he has 2 more seasons hitting < .270. Go out strong!

I am hoping the 2018 World Series ring is what helps push him over the edge.

• ashburyjohn, Thrylos, ThejacKmp and 3 others like this

#23 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Tell the co-worker you sit closest to to go out on top tomorrow. They will probably look at you like what the??

My point is that Joe will go to work as long as he still likes going to work everyday. If that means he goes to another team then he will do that. If he doesn't really feel like going through the grind anymore, he will hang up the cleats. It's really doesn't matter what we think.
  • SD Buhr likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#24 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

As far as Mauer goes the interesting thing is his abilities on the defensive end of he field. I see people hamstringing Sano over there, but for the little bit of extra production at the plate he could be a giant hole at 1B, I mean if he can't handle 3rd what makes anyone think he can handle 1st?? Lots of diving plays, lots of digs, lots of base runners crashing into you, etc.... Mauer made a giant case for himself with the bat and the glove this year. He isn't and 25 million dollar man anymore, but I could easily see 7 - 10 Mill depending on his production this year. Maybe a 7 million dollar contract with incentives that could bring it to 10 million??

#25 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

It won't surprise me at all if Mauer signs with another team if, a) he feels another team with interest in him offers a better shot at getting him a WS ring, B) he believes he'd have a meaningful role on that team, and c) the money is good.

I don't believe sentiment will play a role, either on the part of the Twins FO offering him an opportunity to return OR on his part. Both parties will do what makes the most business sense for them. 

He'll retire when he's no longer enjoying going to the ballpark.

I think many overestimate the importance, to him, of remaining with the Twins. I also suspect he's well aware of the disdain that a vocal portion of the Twins fan base holds him in. All in all, he won't hesitate for a moment to sign elsewhere if he feels it's in his best business interest to do so.

• Carole Keller and beckmt like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#26 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Mauer comes back in 2019, plays PT 1B, the Twins make the World Series. In game 7, Castro and his back-up get injured, Joe puts on the catching gear, then catches strike three to win the Series. After the game, he announces his retirement in a joint interview by Ken Rosenthal and Erin Andrews.
  • ThejacKmp, Vanimal46 and Doctor Wu like this

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

I just cannot see Joe being here after this year.Sano has to have a place to play, Rooker will be here in 2020 if not 2019.Just do not see where he fits.

Disclaimer - if Sano is traded to bring in a front line starter, then there would still be a place for Joe here.

#28 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Whiner

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I think Joe is recovered from his brain injury and we can expect another year like last year. I see him resigning here for a couple of years. Yes a gold glove would get him in the hall, but his at bats must be limited for him to maintain this resurgence. Therefore i don't see him getting that gold glove.

#29 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

I know this never happens, but any chance Mauer stays on for 1-2 more years at a paltry sum of $2-3M/year, and tells the Pohlads to spend the extra money to get him a ring? 

The better question is would the Pohlads spend the money?

#30 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

I just cannot see Joe being here after this year.Sano has to have a place to play, Rooker will be here in 2020 if not 2019.Just do not see where he fits.

Disclaimer - if Sano is traded to bring in a front line starter, then there would still be a place for Joe here.

Sano has a place to play. It's third base. And DH. The Twins don't have an obvious DH and they don't have an up-and-coming third baseman. Escobar can play there but he's not an everyday third baseman and he's not a long-term piece. Yeah you can move Polanco there when Gordon/Lewis come up but that assumes that you keep Dozier (not a given, not sure the Twins will/should pay what the market would for him -- he's going to get 4 or 5 years and the Twins have a ton of middle infield depth coming up in Gordon, Lewis, Arraez and Palacios) and that development happens quickly -- Gordon and Lewis may take more time than we hope to be ready.

I see no reason from a depth POV that Joe won't have a spot with the Twins in 2019. Rooker may still be working through the minors and even if he's not, he can be a 4th OF/DH/RH 1B. Sano will still be playing 3B unless the Twins keep Dozier and Gordon is ready. Even in that case, you just move Sano to DH/RH 1B.

2020 is more interesting because you'd assume/hope that Gordon and Lewis are up and Diaz is pushing the top of the minors but even then, it's hard to see the Twins not being able to keep Joe as a LH 1B and bench bat. I don't think he'll be a guy to throw a stink and demand PT every day. And if he's hitting .350 and forces you to play him more at the expense of youth in a pennant race, that's not a bad place to be.

#31 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

I am hoping the 2018 World Series ring is what helps push him over the edge.

And that World Series MVP.

#32 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

It won't surprise me at all if Mauer signs with another team if, a) he feels another team with interest in him offers a better shot at getting him a WS ring, :cool: he believes he'd have a meaningful role on that team, and c) the money is good.

I don't believe sentiment will play a role, either on the part of the Twins FO offering him an opportunity to return OR on his part. Both parties will do what makes the most business sense for them. 

He'll retire when he's no longer enjoying going to the ballpark.

I think many overestimate the importance, to him, of remaining with the Twins. I also suspect he's well aware of the disdain that a vocal portion of the Twins fan base holds him in. All in all, he won't hesitate for a moment to sign elsewhere if he feels it's in his best business interest to do so.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

1.) What team offers PT and a better chance at a ring? Not a lot of contenders looking for a first baseman who doesn't have pop and is more of a defense/intangibles guy.

2.) Joe does have kids and is settled in MN/FL. That's why I think the only place he would consider going is Tampa. He has a house near there and his kids aren't in school yet. But is Tampa a better spot than the Twins? Assuming the Twins make an offer, it's hard to see Tampa being the team that trumps that or the Rays being a better contender than the Twins.

3.) Joe grew up a Twins fan and has a chance to be a lifelong Twin with his number retired, in the HOF and in the argument for best Twin of all time. I think that means more than you'd think. Plus his family and his wife's family is in the cities, it's hard to move away from that. Joe's a big family guy.

4.) The only thing I could see changing it would be if the new Twins management starts wanting to push him out. Joe's not going to take crap at this point. That could happen but I think there's not a strong reason for it to happen (assuming he doesn't fall off big time next year). He's not going to cost much and he has a skill the Twins need at a position (LH 1B) that they don't have other options (Rooker can play elsewhere, Sano can play DH if 3B isn't working, no big prospects coming, hard to see the Twins signing a free agent 1B). Plus, he still puts butts in seats and jerseys on backs. The intangibles of fan love are not going to bigger anywhere else than MN.

I think the front office won't want to piss off the larger section of the fan base that loves Joe, especially since there's likely not a good baseball reason to do so until 2021.

#33 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

Tell the co-worker you sit closest to to go out on top tomorrow. They will probably look at you like what the??

My point is that Joe will go to work as long as he still likes going to work everyday. If that means he goes to another team then he will do that. If he doesn't really feel like going through the grind anymore, he will hang up the cleats. It's really doesn't matter what we think.

1.) No one cares about legacy in 99% of professions. There isn't a correlation to most other professions (maybe acting and politics?)

2.) I don't have enough money for me and my kids to never work again. Going out on top isn't an option, I go out when the ticker fails.

#34 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

I don't see the Twins releasing Joe.Remember, it was on upper management's orders that Molitor gave Joe more rest.Seemed to workout OK.  

And I just don't see Joe wanting to play for any other team. 

• ThejacKmp and Vanimal46 like this

It's not my fault !

#35 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

2.) I don't have enough money for me and my kids to never work again. Going out on top isn't an option, I go out when the ticker fails.

Sorry, I feel for ya.

I'm going to go out when I'm ready.  

Edited by Twodogs, 11 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#36 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Sorry, I feel for ya.

I'm going to go out when I'm ready.  

Ha. Looking back that was a little morbid. But yeah, everyday people don't think about their legacy with their job that much. They do their best day-to-day. Athletes, actors and politicians think legacy.

• Twodogs likes this

#37 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

I see two paths for Joe

a) he comes back on a legacy yearly contract similar to Dirk (let's say 7-10M) and fills the role of part time 1B/DH and bench bat.

b-) he retires because his body is all beat up and he has enough money

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with Rooker. He had a great 40 games at High A but I wouldn't pencil him into any lineups in any year. He still needs to show that he can hit upper minors before we talk about him replacing anyone. Good prospect but let's see how this season goes.

Edited by kab21, 11 January 2018 - 11:14 AM.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#38 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

Ha. Looking back that was a little morbid. But yeah, everyday people don't think about their legacy with their job that much. They do their best day-to-day. Athletes, actors and politicians think legacy.

I hear your sentiment.I was just saying lets forget about legacy and money for a second.Some guys like to play the game.If Joe likes playing the game he will stick around, and I don't think money will be a big factor.If he doesn't enjoy playing anymore he will be gone because he doesn't need the money. 

I see it all the time in different fields of work.There are lots of people that work past retirement and they have plenty of money to live off of, but they just like doing what they do so they keep doing it??

#39 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

I'll lob this grenade into the mix.What if Mauer has an incredible 2018?.330 and 20+ dingers....along with a solid first base.He wants to stay in Minnesota for obvious reasons.Retiring after a year like that isn't likely.What do the Twins do then?

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

I'll lob this grenade into the mix.What if Mauer has an incredible 2018?.330 and 20+ dingers....along with a solid first base.He wants to stay in Minnesota for obvious reasons.Retiring after a year like that isn't likely.What do the Twins do then?

Sign him for two more years at something around or above $10M/per. Sometimes events force a team's hand. Public relations can't be ignored.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, joe mauer